Robins era best signing (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

Its been just over 4 years since he transformed us.

Who's for you has been his his flagship/best/ or most influential signing during his tenure.

Contenders

Doyle
Mcnulty
Biamou
Hyam
Walsh
Marosi
Kelly
McFadzen
Ohare
Godden
Dabo

Don't think I missed anyone else worthy of the shortlist...contenders realistically ..potentially Shipley being brought through our system through the league's.

For me it's Doyle as a leader without him we wouldn't got Mcnulty....close 2nd Kelly.

This isn't necessarily about the best player signed.

KG7

I think you could make an argument for:

Kelly - influential in every league
Doyle - instrumental in turning us around
McNulty - signed on a free and sold for a huge profit for a league 2 club, giving us capital to sign three strikers and set us up for promotion to the championship
Biamou - stepped up at every level, and without him leading the line last season we wouldn’t have been able to change our style of play and stay up
Hyam - see Kelly.
Dabo - don’t know how we snared this boy.
O’Hare / Hamer / Gyokeres - similar to McNulty, potential to bring huge transfer fees into the club.

Personally, I can’t split Kelly, Doyle, McNulty, Dabo, O’Hare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaz

Brilliant question, really gets you thinking about the remarkable turnaround since Robins returned.
Player for me is Kelly.
Such a key part in all the upturn and consistent as ever.
A player we always look better with when in the middle.

Londonccfcfan

O’Hare. Was a masterstroke getting him on loan, and was unbelievable convincing him to sign for us permanently
He wasn't really a regular when we won league 1 when he was a loan. Quite often played 2nd choice behind first choice Shipley/ Allen.

Your right absolute steal and coup to get him on a permanent.

Blind-Faith

You’d probably have to say Kelly , without looking , I would imagine statistically we are much better with him in the team than we are without him

Reactions: vow

rob9872

You don't get o'hare Dabo and Hamer without first having Doyler, Sparky etc. Impossible answer really, but my favourite across all the seasons was probably Walsh on loan in L1 who I thought was incredible for the level.

I like the Adi Viveash suggestion too as definitely a partnership and not sure either one as good without the other. Probably more Clough and Taylor than George and John.

pusbccfc

O'Hare and Hamer because of the profit they should bring the club.

McNulty and Doyle for their huge impact at our lowest point.

Everyone else has been mentioned. There's players in our squad that have achieved more at this football club than hundreds before them.

vow

Looking back over the period of time, I gotta go for Kelly. Unassuming to begin with as Doyle dominated things but slowly and surely Kelly is our Captain fantastic for me.

pipkin73

Without McNulty second half of season in league 2 we don't go up. Don't sell him to buy others and we could still be in league 2 or worse as without promotion the budget would have crashed. Then Kelly and Doyle help settle us for a season in league 1. Walsh, O'Hare, Godden then arrive and wipe the floor with league 1. Don't think it's something you can answer as so many important players along the way. If only one of them had not stepped up to the play then things could be so different. You also have to add players like Chaplin, Bayliss etc who never done much here but raised the funds to sign the next lot. To be honest I think loads of them deserve the title of best signing. Guess that just shows how well the team and club have been rebuilt since Robin's came back.

SlowerThanPlatt

Without McNulty second half of season in league 2 we don't go up. Don't sell him to by others and we could still be in league 2 or worse as without promotion the budget would have crashed. Then Kelly and Doyle help settle us for a season in league 1. Walsh, O'Hare, Godden then arrive and wipe the floor with league 1. Don't think it's something you can answer as so many important players along the way. If only one of them had not stepped up to the play then things could be so different. You also have to add players like Chaplin, Bayliss etc who never done much here but raised the funds to sign the next lot. To be honest I think loads of them deserve the title of best signing. Guess that just shows how well the team and club have been rebuilt since Robin's came back.

Can’t agree Bayliss never done much here, he was a big reason we got promoted from League 2

Hobo

Its been just over 4 years since he transformed us.

Who's for you has been his his flagship/best/ or most influential signing during his tenure.

Contenders

Doyle
Mcnulty
Biamou
Hyam
Walsh
Marosi
Kelly
McFadzen
Ohare
Godden
Dabo

Don't think I missed anyone else worthy of the shortlist...contenders realistically ..potentially Shipley being brought through our system through the league's.

For me it's Doyle as a leader without him we wouldn't got Mcnulty....close 2nd Kelly.

This isn't necessarily about the best player signed.

For me Doyle was average. Kelly was the key to two promotions. James was key to keeping us in the Championship.

As someone else said Viveash and the other backroom staff should not be overlooked.

But the main thing for me is it hasnt been about individuals...It has been togetherness as a squad.

The Biamou's, Bakayoko's, Shipley's, Wilson's and Allen's have all played a part.

Our success under Robins has definately been about the group and not everyone has fitted into the group.

Bugsy

Liam O'Brien without him warming that bench everyone would have been cold

Serious thou would say the team spirit which money can't buy.... PUSB

Liquid Gold

Kelly for being a regular in 3 divisions
Hyam for going from L2 backup to Championship mainstay
O'Hare just cos he's fucking brilliant and was free
Marosi because it got rid of Burge
Kasta for the bants

pipkin73

Can’t agree Bayliss never done much here, he was a big reason we got promoted from League 2
Maybe I miss worded it, we are talking about the best and the game changers who took us from div 2 to Championship security. Bayliss was a good player for us but not in my eyes a McNulty, Kelly, Doyle. Godden etc. He was brought for potential and has fallen flat, were as our players keep improving. IF he stayed then he might have been included as a player too , but for me (yes some good games and goals) but his greatest contribution was his fee..

Last edited:

BackRoomRummermill

It has to be McNulty not necessarily the best player bought cheap free I think, 28 goals and sold for £1.5million has to be the best all round deal.

Carlisle away 2017 around Christmas where we won he played a blinder Mcnulty - I knew then we would go up that season , it felt ridiculous being there , not being cruel to Carlisle but it was not our scene

slowpoke

Without McNulty second half of season in league 2 we don't go up. Don't sell him to buy others and we could still be in league 2 or worse as without promotion the budget would have crashed. Then Kelly and Doyle help settle us for a season in league 1. Walsh, O'Hare, Godden then arrive and wipe the floor with league 1. Don't think it's something you can answer as so many important players along the way. If only one of them had not stepped up to the play then things could be so different. You also have to add players like Chaplin, Bayliss etc who never done much here but raised the funds to sign the next lot. To be honest I think loads of them deserve the title of best signing. Guess that just shows how well the team and club have been rebuilt since Robin's came back.
I think that is forgotten where we could have been but for that we squeezed out of division 2 sold McNulty for big bucks for us and used a lot of it to help create what we have now and where we are. Our owner wouldn’t have given a shit where we might have been, don’t forget that.

Users who are viewing this thread