ROBINS CONFIRMED...ON THE OFFAL... (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

RETURNING Sky Blues boss Mark Robins has told the Coventry Observer he is hoping for a ‘long association’ with the club this time round.

And he revealed he has not been brought in solely or specifically with a strict ‘remit’ of achieving what most fans believe would be a highly improbable escape from League One relegation, with just 11 games to go and the club rooted to the foot of the table 13 points adrift of safety.

But, while he has been brought in with a view to the future on a ‘rolling annual contract’ with no clause relating to the end of this season, the 47-year-old insisted the team will be battling for every point to beat the drop, and “will not throw the towel in”.

We exclusively revealed yesterday the Robins’ return, after earlier revealing the departure of his predecessor Russell Slade after his 13 League games in charge brought only a solitary win, despite the forthcoming historic return to Wembley after 30 years, in the Checkatrade Trophy on April 2.

It marks a return to the Coventry managerial job for the former Manchester United and Norwich City striker. He left Coventry City in February 2013 for then Championship side Huddersfield Town, having transformed the struggling Sky Blues within a short five-month spell to become League One promotion contenders, having been relegated under Andy Thorn the previous year. He has the highest win rate of all Coventry City managers while at the club – at 52 percent.

He was a fans’ favourite at the Ricoh Arena but was equally quickly resented for leaving for the Yorkshire club, given his aborted three-year deal had been so full of promise – and after reportedly saying Coventry City was “in my blood”.

Asked about his return in light of his controversial decision to quit last time, he told us: “I’m coming in with eyes wide open and I want it to be a long association. The supporters were magnificent last time and I appreciated their support.

“It was the most difficult professional decision I’ve had to make. It was a difficult decision to leave. I’m coming in to try and put things right. And to try to arrest the things that are happening now and build for the future.”

Asked if he had been given a ‘remit’ by the club to stay up in what many would regard as a ‘mission impossible’, he told us: “Keeping the Sky Blues up is not in the remit, no. But there are 11 games left, and we have to be positive.

“Of those 11 games, seven are at home and there is a cup final in the middle of that. It’s very difficult, but we have to have a go. We have to be under no illusions but expectations have to be tempered a little bit. There are not many games to go.

“Performances have been okay at times. There are some good things. There are good young lads and the academy is a positive. It’s done a terrific job in producing players.”

Asked if that meant potentially blooding young talent this season with a view to next season, he said: “Everything we do will be to get the best team on the pitch that we possibly can.

“We have to make sure we try and win as many games as we possibly can do, not throw the towel in.

“There is pride to play for, new contracts to play for. We’re going to Wembley. Our supporters have supported the club. We have to work as hard as we can do to pull everything in the right direction.

“The arrangement is for longer than the end of the season. I intend to do the job to the best of my ability. We have to make sure the team has good players and there are people coming through the academy.

“For me, it’s exciting. I know the club’s in a difficult situation but I embrace that challenge. I’m looking forward to it.”

Robins – who had left Coventry City in 2013 with a parting shot at Coventry City Council regarding the club’s need for more revenues amid the Ricoh Arena dispute, and who was widely rumoured to be departing to a better paid job – parted company with Huddersfield Town the following year. He later had a stint at fellow League One club Scunthorpe, where he was sacked in January last year.

He said his time since then out of the game had “not been pleasant” but he had spent as much time as he could watching games, and doing media work including for Manchester United TV. He paid tribute to departing manager Slade, adding he was a “nice guy” and that it was “always difficult when anybody loses his job”.

A much improved performance in the 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury on Saturday followed two crushing blows for the Sky Blues’ League One survival hopes – the 3-1 reverse at home to relegation rivals Swindon and a 2-1 defeat at Bury last Tuesday.

Many fans have felt relegation is now all but a forgone conclusion. The team, which began the season under Tony Mowbray without a win in the first ten games, have only won four league games all season, and might now require a minimum eight wins from 11 games for what would be the greatest of ‘great escapes’.

Robins, who has also managed Rotherham and Barnsley, added: “We’re in a predicament. All the supporters will be fearing the worst. We’ve got to take every game as it comes. That’s the only way to go about it.

“There is one goal and one priority. I am coming back in because it’s something that needs to be done. It will be my remit to get a team that’s going to win, and having everybody pulling together.

“Everybody at Coventry City Football Club needs to be more positive. Everybody knows I’ve got an affinity for the club. I enjoyed my time with the club last time. Looking from the outside it’s been difficult to watch. Last season they looked like going up. Tony Mowbray had everybody playing good football, but that fell away towards the end. This season’s been difficult to watch.

“Everybody knows it’s a good club. It’s time to bring everybody back together.”

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Returning boss Mark Robins wants ‘long association’ with Coventry City and has no survival ‘remit’

Credit to the main man Les at the Obvs.

wal3590

Interesting there is no remit for survival, looks like a rebuild job ready for League 2.
Just saying I am sure they had a huge part in his departure, can't blame a bloke for wanting to better himself. We prefer this chap to Slade surely? So lets back him not bloody boo him

Grendel

Yup, anyone who is going to give these sharks money up front must be really struggling for clarity. I don't say don't go but don't give the bastards any money up front........not again !

The club get the money and need to get funds to support the manager.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'd take the 52% stat with a pinch of salt now. As we've all said we're a million miles away from that side, good attacking players and when we lost mcgoldrick we gained leon.
Go like for like in this squad now and your up against it, we all know that tho.
The bigger picture is the preparation to return with the correct players for the job in July.

Yep.....the 52% is a red herring.......his stats at his following 2 clubs appear to be closer to his "normal"......no better than Pressley......and at least Pressley actually did have an affinity & love for the club....

Nick

Administrator
Yup, anyone who is going to give these sharks money up front must be really struggling for clarity. I don't say don't go but don't give the bastards any money up front........not again !

Why? They buy season tickets because it is cheaper per game and it saves the hassle of ordering tickets every week.

It is nothing to do with struggling for clarity. Struggling for clarity is giving it loads about not going and then going to Wembley.

NorthernWisdom

Yep.....the 52% is a red herring.......his stats at his following 2 clubs appear to be closer to his "normal"......no better than Pressley......and at least Pressley actually did have an affinity & love for the club....
I'd have taken Pressley back too...

Now, no doubt Robins is coloured because he didn't hang around long enough to fail, like they all do, but he did seem to have common sense about him. He also did a decent job firefighting with Rotherham.

Now if he hadn't been with us before, no doubt I'd be slightly dubious at his later record, and there's no disguising his failures with Huddersfield and (perhaps worse) Scunthorpe, but I have hopes he'll show some common sense management.

tbh I'd give any manager the time here, as whoever we get ends up failing!

steve82

Well... I meant TPTB rather than you ;) but given you asked... :)
Blair Adams

Thanks.... I don't recall seeing that.
We could end up with a 2012 reunion... who's actually out of contract at there clubs.
Is Joe Murphy on a short term deal at bury?
James Bailey just gone to Carlisle, Leon Clarke will be cast aside as usual... Carl baker... how long was his deal at Portsmouth

ClarkeZ

He'll have been brought in with the absolute knowledge of being a L2 side next season. No one is kidding themselves there.
So in reality he has an 11 game competitive testing period before the summer window to know exactly what he needs to get the team in the right position to make a promotion bid first time around. That's they only way he can look at it I'm sure. Just maybe its a good time and place for him to start.
That is assuming he sticks around this time.

Cov kid 55

Crazy times at our crazy club! Why wasn't this done when Mowbray moved on? Nothing makes any rational sense

When they appointed Slade in December, they appointed someone who knew the league, and who had had some success in this league. Most posters on here (although not all) thought it was a good appointment of a 'proper' Manager. It hasn't worked out, and in hindsight, it's easy to say it was the wrong appointment. Personally, I have sympathy for Slade, he came here to do a job, and it didn't work out, as it hasn't for almost all of our Managers going back years. This club is adept at trashing the reputation of people who come here to work. I recognize that he hasn't achieved what was hoped for, and that this decision was inevitable, but I, with a few others on here, wish him well in the future.

Last edited:

woody11462

Undecided on this one, would've preferred going for a manager already in league 2 with a good knowledge of the league and it's players. We need a complete squad rebuild

torchomatic

JulianDarbyFTW

Reading some of these posts, it seems like people think Slade was obviously a terrible choice. It wasn't, based on his track record. Never been relegated, 2x manager of the year awards, the ability to build a club on a shoestring. Yes, he turned out to be a complete failure, but let's not pretend that everyone knew he was going to fail.

Liquid Gold

Of all the stupid shit that goes on around this club blaming season ticket holders for the problem is the stupidest of the fucking lot.

Woodster

Apologies if this point has been made elsewhere, but was he not available to us when we hired Slade? From the sounds of things he's hardly been run off his feet since last January. Can't get my head around what has changed in two and a half months, it surely can't be a more attractive job to take on now than then!

Nick

Administrator
Of all the stupid shit that goes on around this club blaming season ticket holders for the problem is the stupidest of the fucking lot.

Do you really expect any logic to be shown when they bang on about their principles of not giving SISU any money or paying up front and then running to give SISU money up front for a Wembley ticket? :emoji_sweat_smile:

ajsccfc

Reading some of these posts, it seems like people think Slade was obviously a terrible choice. It wasn't, based on his track record. Never been relegated, 2x manager of the year awards, the ability to build a club on a shoestring. Yes, he turned out to be a complete failure, but let's not pretend that everyone knew he was going to fail.

I was all for him and he started with the best intent, signings that seemed to be exactly what we were missing too.

Otis

There was one game this season where I failed to applaud a throw in right down by the corner flag, so I do have to hold my hands up for that one.

Nick

Administrator

I thought he would be good for us going off past history and achievements! :(

NorthernWisdom

Apologies if this point has been made elsewhere, but was he not available to us when we hired Slade? From the sounds of things he's hardly been run off his feet since last January. Can't get my head around what has changed in two and a half months, it surely can't be a more attractive job to take on now than then!
If (when!) we go down, he won't be cast out like Slade has been.

That makes it more attractive now, as there's more of a fighting chance to get proper prep in for next season.

fernandopartridge

Time for some indulgence; Imagine if we go to Scunthorpe on the last day with both teams needing a win, us to secure safety and Scunny to go up, so much football poetry in this scenario.

I recognise that it looks to be mission impossible but I hope the fans get behind the new manager, lets at least have a go at staying up. PUSB

covcity4life

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread