Rob Gurney podcast (1 Viewer)

Adge

Has anyone given this a listen? Good insight into his time commentating on his beloved Sky Blues and how his time ultimately ended when he fell out with Strachan etc.

Ring Of Steel

Listening to it right now....ta (Rob sounds less 'posher' than he seemed to when he was commentating)

the only black mark against him is that after we finally won at Villa Park he played a bloody Lighthouse Family song to commemorate the occasion. But he was clearly choked up & emotional about it so I guess he gets a pass for abysmal taste in music

junglej13

the only black mark against him is that after we finally won at Villa Park he played a bloody Lighthouse Family song to commemorate the occasion. But he was clearly choked up & emotional about it so I guess he gets a pass for abysmal taste in music
Also remember listening to the Spurs game in 97 and when the final whistle went they pulled the power cable out and the radio cut out for about ten mins. He mentions it in the podcast. Mind you I'd have probably done the same. His commentary used to be brilliant.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I worked alongside Rob now and again when I was with CWR back in the early 90's. He really is a top bloke when off-air. He and Geoff came to my leaving do which was a really nice gesture.
Here's me in the studio with Rob and Fozzie in the studio next door.
CWR026.jpg

Ring Of Steel

Also remember listening to the Spurs game in 97 and when the final whistle went they pulled the power cable out and the radio cut out for about ten mins. He mentions it in the podcast. Mind you I'd have probably done the same. His commentary used to be brilliant.

i think that happened in the Villa match as well didn’t it? He got so excited a cable got yanked somewhere and it went dead for a couple of mins

Adge

Either that or the station playlist has to be adhered to and needs sorting.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Listened to it last week , it was trip down memory lane

Got the Steve frogatt one to listen to today

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

Either that or the station playlist has to be adhered to and needs sorting.

No, he said a few words beforehand saying he’d chosen that song specifically and explained what it meant to him to win at Villa & how he thought the lyrics were appropriate.

Adge

No, he said a few words beforehand saying he’d chosen that song specifically and explained what it meant to him to win at Villa & how he thought the lyrics were appropriate.
Oh right-was at the game itself so wouldn’t have heard. Would be interesting if someone had the time to dig out a few of his “highlights” while at the club including him and Dent pulling out the mic :emoji_laughing:

Ring Of Steel

Oh right-was at the game itself so wouldn’t have heard. Would be interesting if someone had the time to dig out a few of his “highlights” while at the club including him and Dent pulling out the mic :emoji_laughing:

It was February 14th, I had to go to a valentines do with the then-girlfriend, it was at the Leofric I think (no, it wasn't always a total dump), booked ages beforehand before the cup even started that year, but I did take headphones. Never forgave her for not letting me off the hook to go to the game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It was February 14th, I had to go to a valentines do with the then-girlfriend, it was at the Leofric I think (no, it wasn't always a total dump), booked ages beforehand before the cup even started that year, but I did take headphones. Never forgave her for not letting me off the hook to go to the game.

I went to the game with my then girlfriend at the time - always useful to have a fellow fan as the other half! First ever trip to Villa for me too!

Only downside was we were sitting in the Villa section. Dwight Yorke went past and we were the first two to clock him - he was their best player at the time.

pusbccfc

The Keiran Maguire one onion Sky Blue Extra is brilliant. A Real good insight into the finances.

Price of Football podcast also excellent, where Keiran resides usually.

RegTheDonk

I worked alongside Rob now and again when I was with CWR back in the early 90's. He really is a top bloke when off-air. He and Geoff came to my leaving do which was a really nice gesture.
Here's me in the studio with Rob and Fozzie in the studio next door.
View attachment 15767
He did a cororate vid for us when still at CWR, seemed genuine and friendly. I was impressed that even though he was working in radio, he was dressed in waistcoat and tie. Very smart - I'm surprised he fitted in with you lot judging by the photo Houch :D

Houchens Head

He did a cororate vid for us when still at CWR, seemed genuine and friendly. I was impressed that even though he was working in radio, he was dressed in waistcoat and tie. Very smart - I'm surprised he fitted in with you lot judging by the photo Houch :D
We were a scruffy lot back in the day, Reg!
CWR014.jpg
CWR015.jpg
CWR023.jpg
CWR025.jpg

Houchens Head

Is that Annie Othen you are with there, Houch?
No, OW. Her name was Sarah, and I wanted so much to ..... well, anyway. She now works with BBC TV in Brum. But I managed to make out with another Anne who worked there, but not Ms Othen! Her secret with me shall remain intact! There! I've said enough already!

Users who are viewing this thread