Rip Jimmy Hill (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

Top man Top manager.
RIP we will aways be greatfull.
Sunderland fans we thank you too twice you saved us

Londonccfcfan

He should have run world football, Fifa president. What a fantastic job he would have done.

Top gentleman the likes we will never see again.RIP.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Irreplaceable, you put us as a club on the football map, provided us with much more than just memories, all done with a smile and belief that was infectious.

To the football world in general he was one of a kind and led the way on so many things, ahead of his time in many ways. Always a gentlemen in a cut throat business

He was, is and always will be The Sky Blue Legend - thank you for everything Jimmy, rest in peace

Voice_of_Reason

Yes, thank you Jimmy... I well remember that Kings Lynn game (and one Terry Bly!) and the day we first met you. The 60's and 70's were amazing.
Many think the 1987 Cup Final provided the best atmosphere but under Jimmy's stewardship every match day provided an atmosphere very similar. "We will never lose" - and we seldom did. The Wolves match when we clinched promotion to the then First Division was comparable, if not better, than the Cup Final atmosphere. I for one will never forget you.. I owe you so much.

Gazolba

Nice tribute from Chris Anderson from CT site:

Chris Anderson, Coventry City’s managing director, revealed that the club could pay tribute to the legendary Jimmy Hill in a more formal way in the near future.

He said: “Ever since I have been interested in football I have been an admirer of Jimmy Hill and that’s for two reasons.

“He put the fans first and really cared about the supporters having a good time in the stadium which extended to stadium programmes and how the match was put on.

“So caring about the people was always uppermost in his mind and I thought that was really wonderful for someone running a football club.

“Secondly, he was an innovator and always had new ideas. He was never afraid to try new things, not only for the club but for football in general.

“We know of the introduction of three points for a win and those kinds of things, so I greatly admire him for that.

“Jimmy Hill is a really wonderful example for how football should be managed at a club; you care about supporters and putting a good product on the pitch and hopefully people will enjoy it.”

Gazolba

Done using Photoshop. Might tweak the effects a bit.

Good idea but I would put 'Gentleman' first and eliminate 'Legend', it's too cliche. There must be a better fourth word.
I'd go for Gentleman, Player, Manager, Innovator although I also like Visionary.
I'd also have chosen a younger picture of him. You have him at what looks like a game but he's of the age when he was a TV presenter.

Last edited:

mechaishida

Good idea but I would put 'Gentleman' first and eliminate 'Legend', it's too cliche. There must be a better fourth word.
I'd go for Gentleman, Player, Manager, Innovator although I also like Visionary.
I'd also have chosen a younger picture of him. You have him at what looks like a game but he's of the age when he was a TV presenter.

Aye, but all the tributes I've seen have had him in his younger days; this picture was from 2005 and the sweeping motion he makes takes your attention to the honourary 'Sir' I prefixed his name with.

I'll keep Legend in, because he is one, but I may rearrange the order of the plaudits...Gentleman, Visionary, Pioneer, Legend.

maddog

Best Manager City ever had. 52k approx fans against Wolves, 37k average the next season. Took 15k fans away to Forest for 3rd game in old div 1. Abolished max wage, introduced music and entertainment at grounds, the sky blue kit, name and song, advertising on shirts, 3 points for a win, proper football on TV. A great showman, his teams played brilliant attacking football. When Jim left, Coventry were the best supported club in the Midlands and in a position to be one of big clubs in football. A series of lesser men have brought us to where we are now. We need promotion for Jim to celebrate his memory. Jim even had the good grace to die at the age of 87, a number that means a lot to Coventry fans. Have a drink for Jim, that is what he would have wanted.

WestEndAgro

Just got my tickets for the service at the Cathedral, two per person collect from the butts, request that you wear Sky Blue, anyone going?

bringbackrattles

Just got my tickets for the service at the Cathedral, two per person collect from the butts, request that you wear Sky Blue, anyone going?
I've just emailed to see if I can have a ticket/tickets but received a message saying it can take up to ten days before they let me know. I'd love to show my respects on the day,so fingers crossed I get lucky ?

italiahorse

I've just emailed to see if I can have a ticket/tickets but received a message saying it can take up to ten days before they let me know. I'd love to show my respects on the day,so fingers crossed I get lucky ?

You need to do it after 6 tonight. All emails before this will be ignored.

An initial 900 tickets for the event, which is scheduled to begin at 5:30pm, will be made available to the general public. Tickets are free, with a maximum of 2 tickets per person. 700 tickets will be available from the CCFC Offices at the Butts Park Arena from 10am until 4pm on Friday 22nd January and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

For individuals unable to travel to the Butts Park Arena, 200 tickets will be made available. These can be requested by e-mailing i[email protected] and will also be allocated on a first come, first served basis from 6pm on Friday 22nd January – any e-mails prior to 6pm will not be considered.

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...ther-details-2911831.aspx#F8djrUhkZq09LasJ.99

bringbackrattles

You need to do it after 6 tonight. All emails before this will be ignored.

An initial 900 tickets for the event, which is scheduled to begin at 5:30pm, will be made available to the general public. Tickets are free, with a maximum of 2 tickets per person. 700 tickets will be available from the CCFC Offices at the Butts Park Arena from 10am until 4pm on Friday 22nd January and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

For individuals unable to travel to the Butts Park Arena, 200 tickets will be made available. These can be requested by e-mailing i[email protected] and will also be allocated on a first come, first served basis from 6pm on Friday 22nd January – any e-mails prior to 6pm will not be considered.

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...ther-details-2911831.aspx#F8djrUhkZq09LasJ.99
Many thanks as I didn't know that.I'll try again after six then but I bet hundreds more will be doing the same ? Should have something on at the Ricoh then us fans who were there when Jimmy took over would have been able to show our respects.Still the cathedral is a fitting place I guess.

bringbackrattles

Re-sent my application for ticket/tickets just now and the reply says due to high demand only those who get them will be notified. Hope that's me !

WestEndAgro

I won't be able to attend Friday due to work commitments, so two tickets available if anyone wants them.

Captain Dart

James Smith

Brilliant clip - Sunderland fans telling him politely to go forth and multiply

The legend JH, waving and blowing kisses back to them

We watched the BBC show and thought it was excellent. I have set it to record on Saturday

Covstu

The documentary from the BBC was excellent. The man did so much for our club and would be disappointed to see the state we are currently in.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I've watched the documentary 3 times now, it will be staying on my planner for a while!

Superbly put together & what a great man he truly was.

A fair bit I learnt about ideas he was behind and how he played such a massive part in the how the game is today, sponsorship deals etc.

Loved the fact CCFC always stayed his number 1 club & he looked out for our result first.

True Legend of the game & the greatest & most legendary figure ever of our Football Club.

Users who are viewing this thread