RIP Jimmy Greaves (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Posting here instead of Other Sports as his continued backing of the opposition during our '87 FA Cup run give the team and the fans impetus to push on. Rest well sir.

JAM See

Posting here instead of Other Sports as his continued backing of the opposition during our '87 FA Cup run give the team and the fans impetus to push on. Rest well sir.

"Are you watching, Jimmy Greaves?"

My word, we belted that out with gusto.

RIP

lord_garrincha

Sad news... There were 2 phases to Jimmy.

The 2nd phase being that he was THE sporting celebrity on TV in the 80s (people forget he was big on TVam when, with only 4 channels, was MASSIVE)... He was genuinely entertaining and great on all football programmes he was on... We were lucky he was mainly on ATV/Central.

The 1st phase being he was England's greatest forward... If you haven't seen him play (and I was too young), check out youtube... He could be Messi-like.

The main part was that he was a genuinely warm character... and his recovery from alcoholism between those phases was an inspiration to all.

R.I.P. Jim... You will be remembered by all.

rob9872

Echo cc4l I knew him s&g bur was tremendous player.

RIP

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

RIP JIMMY, Saint & Greavesy together again.

D

Deleted member 2477

RIp Jimmy. I sung the song every match leading up to the cup. One of the best football programs ever

slowpoke

As said by many simply the best
Football wasn’t saturated on telly in his day but whenever Spurs were on Jimmy delivered, find one like him today we get promoted.

Legia Sky Blue

Despite his predictions in 87 it seemed like he wanted us to beat Spurs, which was really something given his playing career there.

I hope there is some recognition by our club on Friday, but even if not I think it would be great if we get ahead against Peterborough and the fans start chanting 'Are you watching Jimmy Greaves', just as we did in the cup run.

NortonSkyBlue

Despite his predictions in 87 it seemed like he wanted us to beat Spurs, which was really something given his playing career there.

I hope there is some recognition by our club on Friday, but even if not I think it would be great if we get ahead against Peterborough and the fans start chanting 'Are you watching Jimmy Greaves', just as we did in the cup run.
That is a wonderful suggestion...

Happy_Martian

Agree that Jimmy didn't intend anything negative about our cup run. He and Snoz had played together at Chelsea so there was an obvious friendliness in their chat. It was a great bit of banter. Snoz played on it and it led us to amazing scenes, before and after the final.

And the chant is a great idea but someone better tell Sky Sports. If they hear it, they'll take it out of context and think we're besmirching his name.

SkyBlueTam

Here's a Jimmy Greaves quote from The Saint & Greaves Football Book 1987 in which he wrote a 9 page piece on our FA Cup Win.

"I admit to having a lump in my throat as the Coventry lads jigged their way round Wembley. My fun with them throughout the season, as well as my close friendship with John Sillett, meant I wanted them to win that Cup almost more than I wanted any other thing in football. In fact I reckon I was more excited ay Coventry winning their trophy than I was when my Spurs team won against Chelsea at Wembley in 1967 and that's saying something."

slowpoke

Jimmy came by us in the car park after the final we grabbed him to have a beer but as a recovering alcoholic turned the offer down gave us all a hug had a cake and moved on. His joy for us all be it over his team Spurs was obvious.
Singing his name Friday will be a great tribute to him.

Cov kid 55

Early in our first season in Division 1, 1967, Tottenham at home. We lost 3-2, Greaves 2, Cliff Jones 1. The great Ronnie Rees scored both for us. Unforgettable for any young boy/girl watching famous footballers of the era. Who else was lucky enough to be there? And unlucky enough to be old enough to remember it!!

Gynnsthetonic

I was too young to see him play, but I heard a story not sure if true about when playing at Highfield Rd he got subbed and went straight in the supporters club bar. After the final whistle the place filled with city fans and there was Jimmy in his full kit drinking at the bar!

NortonSkyBlue

Early in our first season in Division 1, 1967, Tottenham at home. We lost 3-2, Greaves 2, Cliff Jones 1. The great Ronnie Rees scored both for us. Unforgettable for any young boy/girl watching famous footballers of the era. Who else was lucky enough to be there? And unlucky enough to be old enough to remember it!!
My first game was the 0-3 defeat in the next home game to Fulham. I believe the Spurs game was the handover from Hill to Cantwell and his introduction to the crowd. I was taken to the return Spurs game at WHL where Greaves scored two more in a 4-2 defeat. He was a special player, a true great and his record will stand for ever in the English game.

better days

Here's a Jimmy Greaves quote from The Saint & Greaves Football Book 1987 in which he wrote a 9 page piece on our FA Cup Win.

"I admit to having a lump in my throat as the Coventry lads jigged their way round Wembley. My fun with them throughout the season, as well as my close friendship with John Sillett, meant I wanted them to win that Cup almost more than I wanted any other thing in football. In fact I reckon I was more excited ay Coventry winning their trophy than I was when my Spurs team won against Chelsea at Wembley in 1967 and that's saying something."
Not sure if many saw him in his after dinner speaking phase after the TV series finished, very good as you can imagine
He said that Chelsea was actually the team he always supported and where he chose to go as a kid even though he was from West Ham's catchment area
I saw him speak at a function when Chelsea were in dire straights financially and he said that he had inside info and couldn't see any alternative to them going bust by the end of the season
A few weeks later Abramovich took over
Jimmy was great bloke on every level

Users who are viewing this thread