RIP Ernie Machin (1 Viewer)

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

Very sad news. Ernie played a major part in a wonderful era for our club. Always gave his all for us.

1nilandwe...

Too young to know very much about him, but I think each post above this one tells me all I need to know.

God rest you, sir.

@richh87

Much too young to see Ernie play - but know what a legend he was and that he was a key part of the greatest era in our history.

You'll always be remembered Ernie - thanks so much for everything.

;)

Didn't realise that his sale also helped fund the purchase of The Hutch. He really couldn't have given any more to the club!

Sad news. RIP Ernie.

kg82

I'm also too young to have seen him play but heard a lot about him from relatives.

Reading up on him I see he was the first player to successfully appeal a red card, but was disciplined for "something else"! Anybody know what the something else was?!

RIP Ernie

blueflint

ouch man was a legend great footballer could pass tackle and score will be greatl missed RIP

redsox

Facebook User
RIP Ernie. I was lucky enough to see you play and you will be sadly missed.:(

oakey

I, too am old enough to see many of his last few games in 1972. A true sky blue legend. RIP and condolences to his family. Can the Former Players Association make sure his passing is marked in some way.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Too young to have seen him play, but all too aware of the spirit of the man. Certain players to played a role in orchestrating a part in our decline with their questionable commitment should look long and hard at this man; and then back at themselves. Thanks for the service, and naturally, best wishes and condolences being with family and friends

Bill Glazier

Too sad. Ernie was central to that first team I watched. Not exactly a 'flair' player - a fan who used to stand next to us on the Spion Kop called him' Machine' - but always reliable and likeable. RIP.

Disorganised1

One of my boyhood heros.

RIP :(

Maupet

I remember ernie. Whole hearted player. A good ambassador for the club. Thanks for the memories. Rest in peace

Kneeza

Damn. Only just seen this.
Ernie was one of the team that cemented my love for the City when I was standing in front of the Sky Blue Stand as a kid.
RIP Ernie.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
To all the guys (and lasses) that were too young to remember Ernie: nice to see comments from you all. Even though you never witnessed his playing days, his reputation carries through. There were a number of true legends that came through the doors of Highfield Rd. Ernie was one of them. I've had a look on YouTube to see if there's any old film of him playing so you could see him, but alas I have come up blank. :(
Anyone got anything?

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

Ernie was one of the very best half backs (Midfielder to the younger generation.) Hard tackling, no nonsense, footballer, alongside Curtis and Farmer. Ernie was instrumental in the team that took the third, then second divisions by storm becoming a household name when Coventry entered the First division. RIP. Ernie, forever a legend in my eyes.:wave:

King-Dion

Ernie was an integral part of our team in our early years in the top flight. Glazier; Coop; Cattlin; Machin; Curtis; Setters etc. Everyone played with total commitment back then - and they were all winners. RIP Ernie.

Sky Blue Kid

Just watched the video, and I'm in tears. Thank you for finding and putting the film clip on here for us all to see Nick1974.
"Houchen's Heads" is right when saying It's great to see guys and Lasses paying tribute to a player they had never seen play.
Some of us old fogeys' were honoured to see a legend among legends play the game. Memories came flooding back, seeing goals from two of my all time favourites at Coventry....Ray Pointer, and of course Ernie himself. RIP Ernie, a legend among legends.

The Reverend Skyblue

Seeing that video the very distant memories came back, how fantastic to see the full to capacity stadiums, and to see standing at games again, it should definately be brought back in some way, though for smallish youngsters like me you hardly saw any of the game, and it was a mad crush when we scored.

My old man used to get so worried about me, because i was such a small lad, that he used to send me over peoples head to the front, where a policeman or steward would let me stand at the front or to the side of the pitch barrier.

I would then have the best view in the ground, and my Dad could try and find some supporter from the opposition to have a fight with, knowing that i was safe and out of his sight, and that i would'nt be able to tell my Mum that Dad had been fighting again

Well done i say to the man who put that video together.

The Rev

Last edited:

AlexJohnson93

Too young to have seen him play but my Dad waxes lyrical about what a great player he was.
RIP to a CCFC legend.

"There are players who run in games and there are players who run games.
Ernie was in the second category"

dadgad

Very dependable - something we have lacked for a decade or more. Sad time but heartened that people who never saw him play appreciate the qualities he had.
Just heard that he was also a legend down at Plymouth despite only playing a season there. There's a thread on a pilgrim site....somewhere?
RIP Ernie - top player and bloke.

Coventry La La La

Minutes Applause For Machin

Ernie Machin to be remembered

There will be a minute's applause to remember former Coventry City player Ernie Machin who died last month aged 68.

This will take place before kick off of tonight's game between Coventry City and Sheffield United at the Ricoh Arena.

A memorial service for Ernie will take place at Coventry Cathedral on Wednesday 26th September 2012 where all who wish to pay their respects to Ernie and remember his life and footballing career will be welcome (further details will follow in due course).

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/minutes_applause_for_machin_753462/index.shtml

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wish I could be there to pay my respects to a great player :(

sky_blue_up_north

One of my childhood hero's, what a side we had back then.... I will clapping very loudly for Ernie tonight

Users who are viewing this thread