RIP Ernie Machin (1 Viewer)

CovFan

Bobby Gould has just tweeted that former Coventry City midfielder Ernie Machin has passed away

A player who was incredibly unlucky with injuries when he was with us in the 60s but still played a massive part in our rise up the football league.

sky_blue_up_north

That is really sad, Ernie was one of Jimmy Hill's boys, a great engine in midfield for the promotion runs. Sadly missed by all Sky Blues

Voice_of_Reason

Yep, I knew Ernie... came from near Bolton. A brilliant wing - half.. (midlfielder in today's "speak" ). That JH team was full of players like Ernie -- always played his heart out. The team spirit that JH instilled was amazing ! Miss you Ernie !

Samo

Great player and a nice man. RIP Ernie.

jaymo132

Played Cricket and football against Ernie.......used to live on Norton Hill Estate in Wyken always approachable ,nice guy R.I.P Ernie Machin

cloughie

I was lucky enough to have seen him play in the succesful 60's team.

Thanks for the memories Ernie

SonofErnie

As my user name is in his honour (I share his surname), it's a poignant day for me, though I've only really heard the stories about his time with City through my dad.

skyblueman

I'm about ten years too young to have seen him play but just speaking with the old fella he says he was a really great player and wished we had some of that spirit in today's team - rest easy

TheRoyalScam

Signed by Jimmy Hill and went on to play over ten seasons for Coventry. A no nonsense central midfielder, he scored 11 goals in 34 appearances for the promotion winning team of 66-67.

Condolences to family and friends.

R.I.P. Ernie.

Paxman II

Arrh that's sad. he kinda' represented the start of my supporting days really. A stalwart in the side and played alonside many famous players such as Bill Glazier, Mick Coop, jeff Blockley, Neil Martin, Ernie Hunt, willie carr etc...

Thanx for all the memories and being a part of that winning team in 1967 on the way to 34 unbroken years in the top flight.
You 'ern'ed your rest son.

RIP

steveo1987

Don't make them like Ernie anymore.

God bless you

:(

Is that you Ashdown?
R.I.P. I was born in '68 so would have been too young to remember.Always remember the old man talking about him along with Ernie Hunt and Willie Carr .

http://www.11v11.com/matches/coventry-cit y-v-manchester-united-16-march-1968-79651 /

Greenskin

Although Ernie's greatest achievements were undoubtedly at Coventry,he also had a couple of very successful seasons at Home Park and played a major part in our run to the league cup semi final in 1973/4.Great player,tenacious,good passer and a real leader in the midfield area.One of my all time favourites even though he was only at HP for two seasons and more bad news to cap a period, which i think it would be fair to say,has not been the best for either of our respective clubs.

RIP Ernie

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
057_ernie_machin.jpg

RIP Ernie. :(
I remember your great playing days. You were a true gent on and off the field.

f7e3e0a5.gif

The Reverend Skyblue

I've just seen this , and what a blow. I'm old enough to remember seeing him play , and what a great player ,gave 110% every minute of every game.He was my late fathers all time favourite, I used to think he he loved him more than me.

Well Ernie its time to put your feet up and chillax,(i think thats right), and if people do go on to another place, i hope you see my dad, you'll never get rid of him.

Thanks for the great memories ,and you will never be forgotten by me, and other oldies on here.

The Rev

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

A true legend of Sky Blue....

Wouldn't it be fitting to dedicate and play for Ernie this season and gain promotion for the hall of famer....
:)

Tonylinc

Sadly, I too am old enough to have seen him play. He was a 120% man. He gave everthing for the cause, pity we don't have players like him these days. RIP Ernie and thanks for memories which will long.

dadgad

Interesting and heartening to see that the efforts of a wholehearted player like Ernie Machin live long in the memory of Coventry fans.
All these plaudits are well deserved.....he was a marvelous player for us and a key part of the Sky Blue revolution.
What wouldn't we give for players of his ilk today.
RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread