Rio Ferdinand (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

Have I missed something?

- FACE claimed England fans were singing racist chants at the recent San Marino (& Montenegro?) game(s)
- I read that Rio had expressed "dismay" at the chants now appears to suggest it was "banter"

So...
1. What were the chants?
2. Did Rio hear them personally, or was he just expressing dismay based on hearsay?
3. What has happened since he expressed "dismay" to soften his interpretation from racism...to "banter"?

Any ideas anyone?

Nonleagueherewecome

When did we sign Rio Ferdinand? :confused:

Wasn't he in Quatar doing commentary as part of his precise training plan?

interesting to know what was allegedly chanted as if the fans were just saying he's a prick then fair play, he is!

What I read about it in the paper the other day the chant that FARE referred to didn't work as a chant at all, which suggests its bollocks.

hill83

I wouldn't call it racist chants, but it was against 1 bloke who got racially abused, and 1 bloke to spoke out against it.
So it doesn't sit right with me at all.

Edit: They were singing the 'build a bonfire' song but put the Ferdinands on it.

Macca

Interesting, I guess then the next time a white bloke is the victim of the song in question, any non white person singing it should now be evicted?

Stupid song anyway, I much prefer my "Rio Ferdinand is a total bellend" version

Colin1883

It was supposed to be songs with racist undertones...

Lucky they didn't hear the Dele chant or they'd have us all banned!

hill83

Interesting, I guess then the next time a white bloke is the victim of the song in question, any non white person singing it should now be evicted?

Stupid song anyway, I much prefer my "Rio Ferdinand is a total bellend" version

The bloke is a bellend. But why bring Anton into it? We all know the reason why, and that's the point.

rob9872

Don't credit them with being bright enough to be racist. It's an old song and I imagine most would have joined in without even thinking of any hidden undertones.

Changeyourface

The bloke is a bellend. But why bring Anton into it? We all know the reason why, and that's the point.

Because they're brothers and both arseholes? Be interesting to see if there's people shouting racist next time a white player is verbally abused.

rob9872

I can't believe the amount of disgusting racist abuse the Neville brothers took over the years. Sickens me to the core.

Spencer

I understood the context. I just didn't agree with the statement. For me, ignorance and stupidity seem to be common traits of most racists.

hill83

All the closet racists are in full force in here.

Side note. Why is Anton a dickhead? All he has done is be racially abused. Don't like us speaking out when it happens?

Macca

Side note. Why is Anton a dickhead? All he has done is be racially abused. Don't like us speaking out when it happens?

The majority of footballers are dickheads. Anyway lets look at this another way. Lets say Gary Neville had pissed off fans and a similar song was being made about him. Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that you chucked Phil's name in would it?

And I don t like this closet racist stuff, it's just emotional blackmail. If you don t agree your racist too attitude. It leads to people being afraid to have an opinion on something for fear of being labelled

Changeyourface

Was a dickhead all over twitter when the original incident with Terry happened. Also wasn't Terry found innocent?

Macca

We know the reason for the song. That's all.

I can t say I wouldn't have joined in after a few beers. Probably would have been ashamed of myself but only because its quite unpleasant to anyone. Wouldn't have given skin colour a thought hand on heart

hill83

I can t say I wouldn't have joined in after a few beers. Probably would have been ashamed of myself but only because its quite unpleasant to anyone. Wouldn't have given skin colour a thought hand on heart

Fair enough.

Real

He verbally abused John Terry, then cried like a baby when John Terry verbally abused him back. I detest hypocrites.

hill83

He verbally abused John Terry, then cried like a baby when John Terry verbally abused him back. I detest hypocrites.

Racial abuse is worse than standard abuse. Fact.
Call me a c-unit and I don't care. Call me a black c-unit and you're getting dropped.

Obviously you don't understand. So leave it.
Like I said, they are all coming out in this thread.

Macca

'Coloured' feck me. The 70s called. Bellend.

Outdated but there probably isn't any malice in this. This was a term people were encouraged to used as it was deemed less offensive than black. I didn't realise that it was now off limits until Hansen got murdered for it. If somebody uses it now rather than jump down their throat or "drop" them it would be better to educate them as their intentions are probably good

hill83

Outdated but there probably isn't any malice in this. This was a term people were encouraged to used as it was deemed less offensive than black. I didn't realise that it was now off limits until Hansen got murdered for it. If somebody uses it now rather than jump down their throat or "drop" them it would be better to educate them as their intentions are probably good

Didn't mention 'dropping' anyone about saying coloured did I to be fair. Have another look.

Macca

Didn't mention 'dropping' anyone about saying coloured did I to be fair. Have another look.

Granted. I d assumed that because you had used violent terminology in the other post and that you were getting uptight about the word coloured that someone using that term might also be attacked

Bad assumption.

It would help in my opinion if people were just left to get on. Some people are idiots some are decent, it transcends race.

Should be consolation that everyone under 18 seems to think they are black anyway.

The next scrawny white kid to say innit bruv in some kind of Coventry meets London meets Kingston gets to coin a phrase "dropped" :)

coundonskyblue

Call me a c-unit and I don't care. Call me a black c-unit and you're getting dropped.

Can you explain why its worse? That is a genuine question because I dont understand.

I remember at school being called some very hurtful things, none related to race. Presumably if I wasn't white and someone mentioned the B word (Black), I could have gone to the police?

SkyblueBazza

I like to understand. Where I struggle is things like "coloured" to describe black people...er everyone is somehow coloured so it is a completely pointless adjective, but offensive???
Also, if someone calls me a "c***" & I am offended by it - does it become more offensive by preceding it with "white" (since that is the generally accepted, but imo loose, description of my skin colour...weak milked tea would be more apt)?
Personally - I think that on one hand it is a simple statement of fact added to the offensive bit. On the other if you choose to offend someone by calling them a "C***" why do you need to refer to the colour of their skin? Does that suggest you have a problem with the colour of their skin as well as their behaviour that caused you to think of them a a "C***"? IMO it does!!! It implies that you are more of a "C***" because of your skin.
I hope that only offends racists!

rob9872

Can all the gingers, fatties and gays please stop feeling offended because you don't understand what its like to be black ... Unless of course you're black too.

I think the point is that ALL discrimination is wrong, no hierarchy or divine right to feel upset more than another. We all have buttons that can be pressed to upset us.

Real

Maybe that's where we differ then, because abuse is abuse as far as I'm concerned, and I find it somewhat hypocritical of the person who started the abuse to then make such a song and dance about being abused back. Maybe the lesson for Anton to learn is perhaps to not give it out if he can't take it? I must also add John Terry was found not guilty of the allegations in a court of law, but I guess in your world he'd have been "dropped" despite his innocence.

SkyblueBazza

Maybe that's where we differ then, because abuse is abuse as far as I'm concerned, and I find it somewhat hypocritical of the person who started the abuse to then make such a song and dance about being abused back. Maybe the lesson for Anton to learn is perhaps to not give it out if he can't take it? I must also add John Terry was found not guilty of the allegations in a court of law, but I guess in your world he'd have been "dropped" despite his innocence.

Offence cannot be given...but can be taken. If you wish to avoid others taking offence then you choose your words carefully - we all do that already. It is sometimes, possibly most times that things are said without real offence being the intention...but it can easily be the end result.

Users who are viewing this thread