Ricoh Bid Rejected by Alan Higs charity (2 Viewers)

skyblu3sk

AN offer by Sky Blues owners Sisu for a half-stake in the Ricoh stadium has been rejected, the Telegraph can exclusively reveal.
Failure so far to strike a deal with the Alan Edwards Higgs Charity * which equally owns the Ricoh company with Coventry City Council * has prompted renewed fears the club could be heading for administration or liquidation.

Coventry City Council leaders also told this newspaper yesterday they do not now expect any progress on their Ricoh ownership talks with Sisu before the start of the football season.

The Telegraph understands a third unpaid £100,000 monthly rental payment for the stadium is now due * with the football club seeking a lower rental agreement.

Slow progress on talks will further frustrate the relegated and deficit-hit football club's desperate attempts to put together a business plan for the new season in Division One starting in mid-August; and to have its accounts signed off by Sisu to enable a player transfer embargo to be lifted by the Football League.

The Telegraph can reveal Mayfair-based hedge fund Sisu made an offer “prior to last weekend“ to the Higgs Charity for its 50 per cent stake in Arena Coventry Limited (ACL).

Peter Knatchbull-Hugessen, on behalf of the Trustees of the Alan Edward Higgs Charity, said yesterday: “Talks between the charity and CCFC/Sisu continue. An offer has been made.

“The trustees and their advisers have discussed it. As it stands it is not acceptable in several respects. If a sale to CCFC/ Sisu is to be possible further talks and movement by CCFC/Sisu will be needed. The trustees and their advisers have to be mindful that they are responsible for public money and that any disposal must achieve a proper value.

“The trustees hope that talks will continue so that the offer is improved.“

The statement added: “CCFC/Sisu are carrying out due diligence on ACL to assure themselves as to the value of the company in which they wish to become shareholders. That process is continuing. The charity is not a part of, or aware of the progress of, talks between the city council and CCFC/Sisu as to whether the city council will be happy to enter into a partnership with CCFC/Sisu in the joint ownership of Arena Coventry Ltd.“

He would not be drawn on how much Sisu offered, or what the Higgs charity's price might be.

He said the charity had always refused to comment on years-old speculation the shares could be for sale for £10million, based on a previously agreed market formula. But he said Sisu's offer was “outside of the formula“.

Council deputy leader George Duggins, who was directly involved in last month's Ricoh ownership talks with Sky Blues' owners Sisu and the Higgs charity, said: “There is nothing new to say.
There are no further meetings planned.

“This is a lengthy a difficult process. If I'm honest about it, I would be very surprised if anything happens much before the new season starts.

“The primary purpose for Sisu is to sort the club out.
As far as the Ricoh's concerned, we're going to ensure we don't do anything to undermine the Ricoh whatever.

“People can read into that what they like.

“We want a successful football club, and we're as frustrated by what has happened as anyone else.“

dongonzalos

No way did SISU try and under value and try and get half the stadium for a bargain based on the back of all their blackmail!

I can't believe it surely not :D

dongonzalos

Fingers crossed admin liquidation whatever you call it followed by Ni Hao!

Unfortunately I think it more likely going to be a long term stratergy of blackmail.
Keep freezing the rent, release players, make people redundant and strive for that break even point.

Does it really make any difference to SISU if we play league 1 or league 2 now.
When you think about it the crowds will be similar now and league 2 means yet again less wages which if it is true is our biggest cost now.

Lots of prees releases saying how can we function unless ACL and Council start playing fair blah......

No transparency which may allow us to make an informed decision about their genuine financial plight and more importantly their intentions.

I am going to find a contact address for Mr China and write a sales pitch to him

skybluealan

That statement will really finish our beloved Coventry. We will fold, and like Darlington drop 4 leagues. Non league football here we come

They haven't got a pot to piss in, so SISU are NOT buying a share in the Ricoh....they are buying on BEHALF of their investors!!!

Any purchase and subsequent profits will NOT be ploughed into CCFC...that much is clear.

What interests me here is that if an offer has been made by SISU, then surely this is the time for Hoffman to get his backers in there, as now they have an idea of what they need to offer for the Ricoh part of the deal anyway....:thinking about:

Come on, Hoff, the silence is worrying....

Lord_Nampil

I guess we will get a response to this sort by the club today. First bid rejected would like to know why, and what is needed to make it acceptable. Any stubbornness in this situation will end in disaster, so hopefully all parties pay there part to resolve the situation. Regarding the rent IMO it should be suapended untill these talks have finished!!

theprince

2 questions: Does a business in this case a football club have to go into administration before it can be liquidated AND could ACL call the sisu debts in, thats the outstanding rent money, if so what sort of timescale is there before they can do that.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
That statement will really finish our beloved Coventry. We will fold, and like Darlington drop 4 leagues. Non league football here we come

sorry but statements don't finish anything ................... it will be actions or lack of them ... and any blame is firmly and squarely with the owners past and present of CCFC.

theprince

Don't just write on here, join the Sky Blue Trust, attend it's meetings. Read what Swansea City fans did about 10 years ago and look at them now.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
2 questions: Does a business in this case a football club have to go into administration before it can be liquidated AND could ACL call the sisu debts in, thats the outstanding rent money, if so what sort of timescale is there before they can do that.

1) no administration is not necessary first it is an alternative. more info here http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/Companies/company-liquidation#5

2) the contract for the rental is still valid. SISU/CCFC are still in breach of contract . ACL could take action any time they like. if they took action today to wind up then it would be heard in court within 4 weeks

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I guess we will get a response to this sort by the club today. First bid rejected would like to know why, and what is needed to make it acceptable. Any stubbornness in this situation will end in disaster, so hopefully all parties pay there part to resolve the situation. Regarding the rent IMO it should be suapended untill these talks have finished!!

what is quite likely is that SISU made part of the deal dependant on attaining success.... ie get so much now and get so much more when team promoted if within say 5 years. If they did that then they fail to understand the law regarding Charities and the requirements of the Charity Commission. The Charity simply cannot accept an offer that is so open ended. Similarly if the payment was needed to made by instalment then the Charity would require security and there isnt anything the club has to give that any more (ARVO has it all)

ccfcway

Good on the council

If they want to send a letter to say council tax has gone up, today is the day to do it, as I won't mind

Sisu can do one, and if we have to go to non league, so be it, I want our club back, with owners who care and forums about what formation we should be playing, not what debenture means!!!!

Lord_Nampil

1) no administration is not necessary first it is an alternative. more info here http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/Companies/company-liquidation#5

2) the contract for the rental is still valid. SISU/CCFC are still in breach of contract . ACL could take action any time they like. if they took action today to wind up then it would be heard in court within 4 weeks

Is it in there best interest to wind the club up? Your first point says they could do far worse!!

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Is it in there best interest to wind the club up? Your first point says they could do far worse!!

to wind up = liquidation L_N

administration is a process of management by administrators as a going concern with a view to achieving a sale

Not in anyones interest to wind up really all will lose by it but there comes a point where that is the only course of action left

theprince

So in principal any parent company could liquidate any subsidery at anytime more or less without warning ?
What about the 90 days notice prior to redundancies .AND are SISU our parent company ? our owners, something that MP Damien Collins couldn't get an answer about a few months ago. If sisu aren't our owners how can they liquidate us ?

Ccfc1979

So, the news the bid is rejected comes out the day the Early Bird prices end. I bet the whole talks collaPse, oh I dunno, June 30th? After the helpful 'interim prices'.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
So in principal any parent company could liquidate any subsidery at anytime more or less without warning ? - yes if they choose to but it can be challenged
What about the 90 days notice prior to redundancies .AND are SISU our parent company ? our owners, something that MP Damien Collins couldn't get an answer about a few months ago. If sisu aren't our owners how can they liquidate us ? notice of redundancy was part of the process but also a protection against liability. SISU are agents for their investors who owned the shares through Sconset last I heard but they may have changed. If you read the link above then you will see that there are lots of people that can file for winding up including directors or shareholders or creditors over £750 ...... SISU have a big input in all those

Things are coming to a head and despite witholding the rent SISU are not in as much control as they would like

Last edited:

theprince

Even if the Higgs charity had accepted the offer doesn't any offer have to satisfy the council ? and as far as i am aware any offer has to involve re-generating that whole area and support the football club.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Even if the Higgs charity had accepted the offer doesn't any offer have to satisfy the council ? and as far as i am aware any offer has to involve re-generating that whole area and support the football club.

thats my understanding too

theprince

Apologise for all the questions oldskyblue but law, especially business law is a minefield. I see all this as a drip, drip thing and a bit of brinkmanship atleast i hope it is. Every week or so announcements are made but little progress seems to be achieved and the silence from those seeking to obtain the club from sisu is now deafening.
Question, in law can an interested party move in to save a business being liquidated at the eleventh hour.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Apologise for all the questions oldskyblue but law, especially business law is a minefield. I see all this as a drip, drip thing and a bit of brinkmanship atleast i hope it is. Every week or so announcements are made but little progress seems to be achieved and the silence from those seeking to obtain the club from sisu is now deafening.
Question, in law can an interested party move in to save a business being liquidated at the eleventh hour.

yes a petition to wind up can be challenged or set aside - which someone at the 11th hour would need to do

valiant15

Good on the charity for seeing through these con artists. As a rate payer in this city I'd urge the council to start legal procedings to extract the 300,000+k that they(we) are owed. They've got the money to buy into the ground,we needed a little bit of that money last season. Tossers.

ccfcway

Good on the charity for seeing through these con artists. As a rate payer in this city I'd urge the council to start legal procedings to extract the 300,000+k that they(we) are owed. They've got the money to buy into the ground,we needed a little bit of that money last season. Tossers.

Exactly

I'd ask sisu to show that they can afford the ground and if proof of funds was made, I would say,

"well your not getting the ground, but pay your rent or we are off to court"

PWKH

Just a bit of clarification:
For the Charity to be able to accept an offer for anything it owns there must be an independent and professional view that the Trustees are acting properly and have achieved the correct value as it is public money that they are entrusted with.
If or when the Trustees sell their shares in ACL the City Council can decide whether they like the new partner, and if they don't they can veto the deal. The City Council has no involvement whatsoever in the terms of a deal between the Trustees and the potential purchaser.

Neither the Charity nor the Council can sell or dispose of anything except at a proper value that can be independently audited.

Wrenstreetcarpark

The rent is owed to ACL not to the Council.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
In your opinion then could this be the way this is heading ? That's what it looks like to me.

It is a possibility ...........but I think the team will still be here but I think our expectations regarding squad need to be wound right in. Anyone that expects meaningful investment in the squad is going to be disappointed.

Charity cannot negotiate on certain things and have to get full value for their investment or the trustees become personally liable for the shortfall. Unless SISU improve their offer to match that value properly without what ifs and maybes then they wont get the shares. In that case the best they can hope for is some sort of deal on the amount of the rent

No one wants CCFC to be wound up, but if SISU do not actually come to the table willing to match the criteria in full then there comes a point where CCFC is simply not a going concern.

Given the statement from the Charity and TF saying everything dependent on getting the shares then (a) how can the directors and auditors sign the accounts off ? (b) how can the embargo be lifted (c) SISU & TF have talked themselves into a corner, they have to get the shares (everything depends on it per TF) and buy into everything else or the alternatives are put more money in or limp along and struggle in League 1 or call it a day (sell or wind up)............. but has always been the choice really

Last edited:
What an utter shambles/farce/situation we are now in.

*current players contracts in limbo
*transfer embargo still in place
*available new players being snapped up by other clubs
*inevitable transfer out of our best young players
*season ticket sales in suspension (despite the "5000" sold claim)
*ground rent debt accumulating
*our Joe still in limboland
*Chinese takeaway off the menu
*Admin ???
*Liquidation ???

We're doomed Mr Mainwaring we're doomed !!!

valiant15

If sisu get their dirty grubby hands on any part of that ground we'll never get rid of them. They've got zero interest in the playing side,you've got to think long term,id take getting chucked out of the league if it meant we would come back stronger with decent owners. Wren st,id urge acl to start legal procedings then. When will it end this non payment of the rent? Are sisu not going to pay it again?? It's bullying. My god,when is this shity sisu era going to end??

Diehard Si

Bad news, very bad news. I don't think any of us hold any blame what-so-ever against the charity.

We all know full well it is most likely that SISU tried to rob them blind and get it for next to nothing. It's going to drag on for months, a long drawn out saga. I've got to the point where i'm resigned to accept the fact it's not going to be a good year for CCFC..... but nothing new there.

ashbyjan

This is no real surprise and one of the reasons we have reactivated the Trust because we can see the doomsday scenario coming and need to be in a position to try and rescue our club as the Portsmouth Trust is trying to do down their. I really believe there is no more important time than now to get involved with the Trust - should the club go into admin or liquidation we would need to prove to the administrators or court that we are a credible alternative and to do that we need numbers, expertise and a strategy. Its now time to put all previous prejudice against the Trust and its previous leaders etc and realise this could be the only way of saving the club as sitting back and hoping against hope that some mysterious lifelong Cov supporting foreign benefactor suddenly appears with pockets overflowing with cash to save us. Its our club and up to us to do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread