Ricketts...."Captain"?? (1 Viewer)

glancy89

Last night was a real eye opener to me about the lack of leadership our so called captain brings....i am a fan that doesnt like to get on players back during a match, but last night i could hear groans and shouts of discontent being aimed at young lads such as Murphy, Lamieries when a bad touch or wrong decision is made.
I feel this is where our captain should be on hand to encourage, kick up the arse, coach our younger lads....

Hypothetically if Dennis Wise was playing for us in midfield, the outcome would have been different, he would have organised vocally, encouraged and kicked certain individuals up the arse to get the best out of them.

Thoughts on Ricketts and thoughts on a new captain maybe??

CCFC88

Murphy would relish the etxra responsibility and would double his influence on the pitch in my opinion.

CJ_covblaze

His ability to lead this side has been in question as long as his form has. Would rather have Captain Pugwash run the line.

steve82

Last night was a real eye opener to me about the lack of leadership our so called captain brings....i am a fan that doesnt like to get on players back during a match, but last night i could hear groans and shouts of discontent being aimed at young lads such as Murphy, Lamieries when a bad touch or wrong decision is made.
I feel this is where our captain should be on hand to encourage, kick up the arse, coach our younger lads....

Hypothetically if Dennis Wise was playing for us in midfield, the outcome would have been different, he would have organised vocally, encouraged and kicked certain individuals up the arse to get the best out of them.

Thoughts on Ricketts and thoughts on a new captain maybe??

I've said about this since January when we was in what was a blip we no now is a huge loss of form.
As captain: As a captain he offers nothings like you'd expect captain too, I keep highlighting it. Yes from August to November things were good, kids were fearless and we picked off everyone. Our captain looked ok tho didn't seem to talk a lot. Didn't need to tho as things ran smoothly. In our blip period he was still quiet, goals would go in and he'd just turn and walk away... Still no motivation. Now when we really need our captain to go to the kids and lend a sympathetic word of advice or encouragement, arm around the shoulder... Nothing. For me he's given up first before the rest have. He's no fight or desire for the job it seems something a leader must do till the end.
As a player:
Started the season well, cool calm stepped into a tackle nicely timed to perfection. Played the ball around well from the back and moved the ball forward with intent never a stray ball in sight. Now he's slow, predictable always caught out taking too long to pass and often dispossesed like at Southend away. At CB he's even worse. This really exposed him for me tho he stepped in to do a job when we had no option. He went down hill fast from there, never wins a header at set pieces and conceded a few goals from this as his man has lost him. When in the second half at Crewe he was pulled all over the place, stokes was more composed and looked more comfortable than him and RCC bailed him out a few times.
Aaron Phillips was slaughtered for his poor back pass and dropped from the team, Ricketts has made just as many mistakes and still is on the team sheet every week with the armband still. I find it amazing how he's not dropped.
Quite possibly the worst ineffective captain we've had in recent times.

stevefloyd

Brian Clough/Peter Taylor went and got Dave Mackay we need to go get a true captain... bring back Killer

steve82

I'm gonna give captain marvel a clean slate as its the start of a new season....
Till 5pm anyway... I hope he's rested and gonna baby sit the boys at the back, more so than ever we need him to stand tall and set the marker!

SBT

It's weird that TM made a point at the time of specifying that Ricketts would be more of a club captain who played occasionally. Since then no sign of any replacement as far as a regular team captain goes - presumably one of the targets we missed out on? Not ideal to bring in a new captain midway through the season, but it's not as if the dressing room is bursting with leaders at the moment.

Warwickhunt

Don't understand why TM has not got Stevens back for a season long loan, I thought he was coming into his own at the latter games of last season

steve82

Don't understand why TM has not got Stevens back for a season long loan, I thought he was coming into his own at the latter games of last season

He may well be on his wish list but due to the changes to Southamptons management and premiership clubs not keen on releasing players on loan too soon it's too early to say he's not.
I hope he is, as like you say he looked steady and composed.

Users who are viewing this thread