Richard Wood (1 Viewer)

KersleyDigs

With our defence leaking goals left right and centre, I would be playing a back four of

Keogh----Cranie----Wood----Hussey

With Wood as captain and regular starter.

We need an assertive centre half as a leader to talk our youngsters through the game defensively, also someone who can chip in with goals.

We cannot afford to play two inexperienced full backs in our back four in our current position!! It has to be Cyrus/Clarke OR Hussey, not both!

kg82

I don't think it really matters, we seem intent on gifting the opposition goals at any opportunity whoever is in the team! To be fair, Hussey and Christie have probably been the 2 standouts in defence this season anyway. Yes, a bit naive at times but I'd rather that than some of the shockers we've had from our "experienced" players.

6 Generations

I agree that Richard Wood should be in the starting line-up.

He has the 'Warrior' spirit that we have been lacking and, as you say, can be at threat in the opposition box.

We could probably do with a fit McPake also, as we are lacking backbone.

These two are leaders, and leaders are what we need.

EleanorRigby

Thorn seems to think Keogh is the better centre-half for some reason. I'm not the biggest fan of Richard Wood and fail to see why Chris Coleman was so determined to sign him and he was never better than Elliott Ward IMO However I would play him out and out centre-half with either Cranie or a fit McPake next to him and stick with it or even three central defenders and wing backs, we leak goals through silly mistakes which has to be sorted.

stupot07

Tbf wood didn't look particularly assertive on saturday when he had his mix up with murphy.

KersleyDigs

Murphy has admitted it was his (not Wood's) fault.

I would fully expect that, were that situation to occur again, Wood wouldn't take the risk and just deal with it regardless of a call from the keeper.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I thought Wood had a good game vs. Portsmouth, it was noticeable how much he had worked on pushing forward from full back and offering the width that only the full backs can provide in our current formation. Yes you can see he's clearly no Ashley Cole, but what he lacks in agility I think he more than made up for in effort, we looked most dangerous when he and Keogh pushed forward and tried to get balls into the box for Lukas and Platt - and where did our goal come from? Compare when he filled in there last season under Boothroyd and you can see the difference

sw88

Chief Commentator!
appart from his goal in my opinion clingan has been shocking this season for a player thats supose to be our best

Completely agree there. Hes been woeful. Another player whos been offered a contract while performing below par! Dont get me wrong, hes good on his day, but it seems hes lost heart when he plays ajd has been awful to date!

I thought Clingan was top class against West Ham, but poor for the rest of the season. Funny how he can turn it on against the 'big clubs'.
Agree entirely with the Wood comments. Keogh has been terrific in a lot of games, but stick him at right back and create a more solid defence.
Unfortunate for Cyrus, but his style of play is needed in a team that has everything going for it. < Hasn't been CCFC is a good few years...

Spagbol

I think we should look at playing Cranie as a holding midfielder, he did a good job there last season

Back 4 of

Cyrus Keogh Wood Hussey

Cranie

Thomas Clingan McSheffery

Baker

Juke

Nonleagueherewecome

I just think there's been too much for Sammy to do, and he isn't enough of a leader to cope without the responsibility affecting his own game. He still does some really good things. He was superb in the first few games of the season, and I believe that I am still the only poster who has highlighted his superb pass to Wood for the goal against Pompey. To claim that all he's done all season is score that goal is a bit harsh. He's suffered as much as anyone from a lack of quality, experience and support around him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think Clingan has done fairly well this season considering he has had to carry the whole midfield on his own at times, he has been poor though in the last 6 games or so West ham aside.

Users who are viewing this thread