Richard Overson (1 Viewer)

higgs

We are lucky to have a good fan with the club's best interests at heart Id say we haven't heard of half the good stuff he's doing for the club behind closed doors
54b1e2c15fc9eb903f70ac8826057dea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rob9872

Yep fair play, puts it in with no say in how the club is run, simply wants to offer direct help to the team. I'm sure it's how many of us would behave if we had the finance, as he clearly loves the club unconditionally without getting involved in any politics. Lucky to have him involved. I just hope the club doesn't use him to fund things they otherwise would have and pocket the change rather than investing elsewhere or they'll overstay their welcome and we all lose out.

BigadamL

Yeah I have a feeling he has more to do with Coventry then is being made out. Also like the fact that he was part of the SISU out brigade but seems to have changed his mind and he would have more information then any of us of what’s happened from both sides

clint van damme

Yep fair play, puts it in with no say in how the club is run, simply wants to offer direct help to the team. I'm sure it's how many of us would behave if we had the finance, as he clearly loves the club unconditionally without getting involved in any politics. Lucky to have him involved. I just hope the club doesn't use him to fund things they otherwise would have and pocket the change rather than investing elsewhere or they'll overstay their welcome and we all lose out.

Do you know that for sure Rob, I've a feeling he may have more involvement than he lets on, (based purely on a hunch).

A great person to have around the club though and totally agree, we're lucky to have him involved.

Sky Blue Pete

Yep ubter
Yeah I have a feeling he has more to do with Coventry then is being made out. Also like the fact that he was part of the SISU out brigade but seems to have changed his mind and he would have more information then any of us of what’s happened from both sides
yep interesting

BigadamL

If you were SISU who were looking for investors then he would be perfect, some money and a city fan bet SISU were rubbing there hands together when they got in partnership with him.
fair play to the man though investing money that 99% chance he will never see again

BornSlippySkyBlue

His presence in and around the club at the moment is one factor that gives me just a little more confidence in the new stadium ever progressing. Nothing behind that, other than I doubt he’d be doing what he’s doing if he thought we were all being strung along, and he must have more access to the ‘truth’ than us mere plebs.

And I’m not saying I believe it will definitely happen!

rob9872

Do you know that for sure Rob, I've a feeling he may have more involvement than he lets on, (based purely on a hunch).

A great person to have around the club though and totally agree, we're lucky to have him involved.
Unfortunately no idea mate, my assumption was that he doesn't. I hope you're right but I think despite the recent cooling in hostilities between fans and owners they'd still take his money and pay nothing more than pr lip service. They are still a ruthless hedge fund after all and I guess it's their job for the investors.

Skyblueweeman

Unfortunately no idea mate, my assumption was that he doesn't. I hope you're right but I think despite the recent cooling in hostilities between fans and owners they'd still take his money and pay nothing more than pr lip service. They are still a ruthless hedge fund after all and I guess it's their job for the investors.

Yeah, I kind of agree actually. Just all seems a bit strange, this seemingly non-binding relationship. Is he a genuine philanthropist simply willing to help out where he can, especially financially? I'm not saying he's not or casting any aspersions on his personality. It's great that we've got something like this 'on the sidelines' who is helping us out.

I just don't get what he gets out of it as he's pretty much just giving money away and I'm interested as to what Joy/Dave/Tim think about him. A free cash machine?

Long may it continue...just like to know a bit more about the dynamic.

superskyblue

A few exceptions aside nobody buys football clubs for investments. There are many other ways to make greater % returns and have less stress/scrutiny/risk. The amount of money required to invest in football vs the return doesn't stack up for the most part. People invest in football for fun or for their ego. I guess Richard is a passionate fan and wants to spend money on his hobby. It's the equivalent of a non-millionaire buying new golf clubs. He probably feels good about it. He gets to enjoy an improved Coventry City as his hobby. Win/Win.

Last edited:

long way home

He came as part of a group trying to buy the club and is thankfully is still around to fund the academy, training facility and im sure some other things inbetween. Anyones guess is what he does going forward but i dont think he is just funding aspects of the club because he can, doing that makes no sense especially in how he became involved in the first place.

However if it is purely down to a fan that can, its been a fantastic thing for the club im sure MR would not under estimate the impact he has had on the club, players and facility, long may it continue.....

Flying Fokker

If you were SISU who were looking for investors then he would be perfect, some money and a city fan bet SISU were rubbing there hands together when they got in partnership with him.
fair play to the man though investing money that 99% chance he will never see again
Hmm,

I think he probably is an investor. I guess he’ll get his money back but could already be throwing some money our way.

RingoCCFC

I’m not trying to start a debate but he seems very genuine even in the recent podcast he seemed like any normal cov fan and had the money and wanted to see the club improve with no financial gain in it for him.

In that bodged takeover group he pulled out as he said Wasps were involved in the movement, doesn’t that sort of resonate with what’s happened since in terms of developments and where they’re at? It seems like Wasp want Coventry and always have as their silver spoon and see us as an asset they can attain hence why they’ve not developed the Ricoh or changed it’s seating? I think Joy’s untrustworthy but even she made a valid point... there’s not much money in Rugby when you compare it to the Prem and Championship! Wasps are essentially a business aiming to make a profit... I do feel like what he said about them being involved back then was true. I honestly feel like the clubs going in the right direction (albeit I don’t hate SISU but I don’t love them... they’re in it for the money or fame alike any owner that’s not a homegrown fan... which also turns sour) and he’s said he doesn’t mind helping out so respect to him for his generosity as the improvements were massive.

SISU are still in grave financial debt on paper as a result of the bad management of the club but you’ve seen the tide turn recently, I’d be interested to see how we do now as we essentially are in a harder situation both on the pitch and off financially speaking! I doubt Overson would ever want to buy into a SISU venture given its state!

MacAnthony even said recently though that SISU in his concept of managing a club financially have started to realize the importance of developing players to financially sustain the club and we’ve clearly seen them practice that more and more but I think they truly are seeing the importance now of retaining people and reinvesting that money!

I’d like to see him get involved further as it’s clear he’d have the clubs interests at heart as a lifelong fan, the new stadium could be that way in and he could play a pivotal role in pushing it! As for if SISU would be down to share beds and banks is another question!

Either way... top guy as not many rich and self made fans do this for anything unless it’s to attain something! 👍❤️🔵

Users who are viewing this thread