Review Of Squad And What We Need Before 6th August (1 Viewer)

skyblues4ever

I guess like a lot of you I watched the season fizzle out and thought "There we go again - nothing to show for it, yet again". As a hardened season ticket holder I even started to question the expense when there are so many other things you can spend your money on.

Nevertheless I'm gradually warming up to the start of a new season and what a peachy first fixture - we know it'll be explosive so let's hope we can put the Foxes at the bottom of the league before everyone else kicks off.

We all know that Westwood and King have gone - argueably our best players up front and in defence so what have we got left, how do we rate them and more importantly what do we need to sign before 6th August?

Heres my take of what we have in the squad at the moment:

Richard Keogh - fairly solid defence - a bit sluggish when running down the line. Has a contract until 2013 so he's gonna figure in the team like him or lump him

Sammy Clingan - out a lot last season and possibly a reason for our mid season slump. Has been given the Captaincy and I can't argue with that. Don't know the length of his contract but if he stays injury free an important corner stone to next season.

James McPake - in contract until the end of next season. Again plagued by injury however, when fit, a no no nonsense defender who can give as good as he gets. Don't know whether he will be fit to start the season so any know update would be useful.

David Bell - or "Marmite" to the fans because we either love him or hate him. Doesn't seem to know how to tackle and gets dispossessed too often. Having said that when he scores they are usually absolute crackers. Don't know the length of his contract. He wouldn't be in my starting XI.

Freddy Eastwood - I sometime wonder how Freddy has managed to get the crowd on his side considering his poor striking record. He joined the club three years ago and has scored 18 goals - if his name had been Kyle we would have hounded him out of the club by now. My guess is that he is probably out of contract now so any news of a new contract or did he sign a four year deal in which case we can look forward to another six goals next season.

Lukas Jutkiewicz - one year into a three year deal however this guy has already been linked with other clubs. 9 goals in 34 games doesn't set the world on fire however it is better than Freddys average. My view of him is that he only lasts about 70 minutes - whether that is because of his work rate or that he is a lazy sod I don't know. Would it be worth selling him for a good fee - that depends on who we can get in of course. I don't see him as pivotal to our forthcoming season but wouldn't want him to go without suitable replacements.

Gary Deegan - sometimes you forget we have players in the squad don't you? This guy joined and promptly got crocked in pre-season. He is on contract to June 2013 so lets hope he is fit and can show what he can do. He did appear 9 times in 09/10 but I can't remember much about him.

Lee Burge - a goalkeeper apparently and number 13 at that. 18 year old. Not much else to say.

Chris Hussey - crikey we do attract "sicknotes" don't we? Another injury effected player. The odd occasion he has played he doesn't seem that bad but whether he can be consistant over a season I don't know. Don't know the length of his contract.

Martin Cranie - On contract with the Sky Blues until next August (2012). A player that seems to have improved over time with us which is good to see. Very adaptable having had to play in various positions to cover the "sicknotes". I think he is being eyed by a few clubs and not surprisingly - ex England U21 etc so good credentials. I would want him to stay and be in my ideal XI.

Isaac Osbourne - Has he been released by the club? Something tells me he has. Serious imjury kept him out most of last season.

Aron Gunnarsson - I have no doubt that Aron will chase the money and leave the club. He's got a playboy lifestyle which needs fuelling. We had a couple of good seasons from him so adios or whatever the Icelandic for goodbye is.

Carl Baker - on contract until the end of next season. Hasn't quite hit the standards he was achieving at Stockport which suggests he is a L1 player and not Championship. Likes to dribble a lot and has had a few spectacular runs. We will have him for another season so I guess he'll be in the team. Not necessary a choice but probably enforced.

Gary McSheffrey - technically out of contract I think - he signed a one year deal with a one year option. Any news on that yet? We've probably had the best of Gary McSheff many years ago however no one should doubt his passion for the club and for that reason he has my vote. I hope we have him in the squad for another year.

Ben Turner - probably the most disappointing injury last season of them all. This guy was turning into the best defender in the Championship - scoring goals, defending like a rock etc so lets hope the man mountain is back in August. I don't know what his contract is but I hope its a long one!

Clive Platt - quickly became our third string striker following the signing of King so will he come back into contention. He signed a one year deal last year with an option of a further year - who's option that is I don't know, if it was mine I'd show him the door.

Danny Ireland (from Australia) - could be between the sticks in August since Westwoods departure. My only recollection of him was when Westwood was substituted and he quickly got injured as well to the extent that Keogh was having to take the goal kicks! Hardly inspiring - lets hope for confirming news on the keeper front.

Richard Wood - another solid defender and on contract until 2013. He'd be in my XI.

Jordan Clarke - not yet 20 year old but has played 12 times and has scored a goal. I know he has his critics however lets give him a break - he's still learning his trade a bit. He has pace so now he needs experience. My guess he will figure big in 11/12.

Roy O'Donovan - a striker apparently on contract until 2013. Anyone know anything else - did he get a long term injury as well?

Nathan Cameron - worth a position on the bench but too nervous in pressure situations. Happy to belt the ball away not caring where it end up. Nevertheless not even 20 years old yet so lets give him a chance to mature.

Shaun Jeffers, Callum Wilson, Josh Ruffles, Luke Bottomer(?), Conor Grogan - all appear in the first team squad but I don't think they've played yet apart from Jeffers who has a sub appearance once.

So, as I see it, in my opinion, we have Keogh, Wood, Cranie, McPake and Turner making a half decent defence still. Clingan in midfield with McSheffrey but nothing reliable up front apart from possibly Jutkiewicz.

Therefore we need a good goalkeeper, a couple of midfielders and a couple of strikers (who can score goals). I reckon we will not hear much until the season has nearly started as that is when the majority of smaller deals are done. We're gonna be chasing scraps so lets hope Thorn has done his homework because he has been instrumental in bringing good players to the club - but there again some bad players as well!

PUSB!

rob9872

With the exception of quality replacements for King and Westwood I think we have a decent team. The squad I'm not so sure about. We look a bit lightweight in terms of depth as some of what we have still need to be moved on.

Gaskell

Turner signed a new deal until 2013 I believe. Deffo need a striker and a goalkeeper though and maybe a midfielder, hope AT has an ace up his sleeve.

im-confused

I don't agree with your opinion on carl baker. I think he's a very good player. I agree with most of your opinions in this post though.

Rich

Gunnarrson has a playboy lifestyle??? He goes out most weeks but drinks water. I don't see what's playboy about that?

Si80

My thoughts:

New keeper to replace Westie - Murphy will do the job. If not I don't have much faith in Dunn or Ireland.

Defense - Strong IF they stay fit. I don't like it that we have to turn to Cranie / Wood to fill the gaps at either CB or LB. Ideally my lineup would be Clarke - Turner - Cranie - Hussey. Wood, Keogh & Cameron will obviously play as at some point all of the above will be injured.

Midfield - (I'm accepting that Gunnarsson is leaving) We've lost a decent CM so really need to replace that position. Deegan isn't the answer imo.

Key thing is keeping Sammy fit and hopefully Bell & Baker will continue to play as well as they did under Thorn at the end of the last season. Sheffers needs to have a big year for us too and stay injury free.

I'd like to see Conor Thomas get a lot more playing time under his belt too.

Forwards - I'd let O'Donovan go and apologise for wasting a year of his life. I'd let Platt move on a free too if he'll go (the option to stay was on his side which I believe he has taken).

That leaves us with Juke & Freddy. Now I like Freddy ( I know his records rubbish etc etc) but I really believe (maybe slightly delusionally) that he will come good for us.

So I reckon we need a couple of strikers. If we could I'd offer all the money we put aside for MK and hand it to Earnshaw. He scores goals for fun at this level and would really play well alongside Juke imo. And if there is any spare cash in the pot after that I'd like us to bring in Kev Phillips to be a supersub ala Dennis Wise for us a few years back.

Alot of it's wishful thinking and the lack of news coming out of the club re:transfers isn't surprising. But I worry for us if we don't replace the "big" 3 that we've lost in the close season.

Si80

Gunnarrson has a playboy lifestyle??? He goes out most weeks but drinks water. I don't see what's playboy about that?

I'm guessing he's putting the water in Grey Goose vodka bottles then just to look like he's playing the part of the binge drinking, affluent lifestyle footballer then huh?

SkyBluePryce

I reckon this summer we need to install some pace in to the side. We haven't had any genuine pace since Mifsud. Our new formation and style of play doesn't cry out for pace however, though it would give us a different option/dimension when playing this way making the opponents think twice about what we're going to do with the ball whether we play a through ball/player takes on his man or whether we do our usual pass our way forward. Plus its a good plan B (counter attack). It also means that opponents (if not as fast) wont be marking as they are vulnerable to the turn of pace. This in turn gives the player more time on the ball but also helps drag players out of position, as they having to mark the player late (to a certain extent)

Sky Blue Sheepy

Well my gripes:

Hussey: Injury prone but brilliant for such a youngster when he played under Thorn. beat people, pacey and not bad ball control either.
Juke: Was poor early on in the season but is a transformed man now - he's gained ball control and created/scored far more under Thorn than under the whole Boothroyd time. To call him lazy is plain and simply wrong - he ran his arse off when no-one else appeared to under Aidy.
Baker/Bell: Poor under Boothroyd, again a different player under Thorn. Bell's now being played in the right position and seemed far more controlled and skillful in CM than a winger. Baker seemed lazy but again since the management change looked like a new player.
Wood: IMO a good second half Sub but poor compared to Cranie, McPake and Turner. We have many CB's but considering last season's demolition of our CB's he's an adequate replacement.

No major arguments with the rest.

Last edited:

CovisGod

Nice post, always nice to hear other peoples opinions and how they differ even though we support the same team...

Personally I think both Baker and Deegan are very good players and I'm hoping to see them both feayure more next season, Defence wise I think were pretty much sorted, especially for the central defence position. If / when Gunnar leaves I think alot of people have forgot abot Connor Thomas, there was uproar when he left, now he's back maybe a good time to give him a run in the first team ? For me our weakest area is upfront, were not great at scoring goals at the best of times and now King's gone I think it will be even worse....Every year we say maybe this will be Freddys year but lets face it he's just not good enough, Juke started to show potential but I don't see him as a 20 goal a season man, then we've got Jeffers who's unproven in the championship and Platt that's way passed his best.....With no prolific goal scorer and nothing on the horizon I predict a lot of 0-0 draws next season

SkyBluePryce

Well AT said he's got replacements in mind to fill in for if the 3 out of contract players were to leave so i expect to see a striker coming in, he may look at wilson and jeffers 1st though?

Nonleagueherewecome

I don't think Hussey deserves the injury prone tag. He had one injury last season that kept him out for 2-3 months. Another under Thorn that kept him out for one match. He was fit the rest of the time-Boothroyd in his infinite wisdom chose not to select him. Probably 'cos he isn't tall enough :facepalm:He played 3 seasons straight for AFC Wimbledon, barely missing a game, at a very tough and physical level of football.

rob9872

I note Blues have signed King and Adam Rooney and also that McFadden (not Brian) is out of contract now too. Is he a realistic target as our high profile signing or too expensive for us? anyone?

ajsccfc

McFadden's a lazy waster living on past glories much like the oft-vaunted Jason Koumas. I'd pass personally.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I note Blues have signed King and Adam Rooney and also that McFadden (not Brian) is out of contract now too. Is he a realistic target as our high profile signing or too expensive for us? anyone?
Too expensive

I think we need a cover LB, 3 strikers, a new CM.
I think Thomas could be a big part of the first team and maybe a replacement for Gunnarson if he leaves. I would let go Platt, O'donovan, Eastwood and Baker.
I would like a quality RB and cover for Mcsheffery but these come after other positions

skyblues4ever

Fast cars - expensive women - dunno - it doesn't have to be drink related does it? I'm probably wrong then but its an image he portrays.

rob9872

Fast cars - expensive women - dunno - it doesn't have to be drink related does it? I'm probably wrong then but its an image he portrays.

All women are expensive and all cars can be fast. I think it's more fast women and expensive cars :D

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Some good points......... my biggest concern is where is the pace?

We are going to have a small squad if some inexperienced players backing up the first team.

Goalkeeper seems sorted and i am happy with the ones we have

We look reasonably strong in 3 of the back four positions but left back cover is a concern.

Midfield doesnt at this moment thrill me, not sure as it stands we are capable of dominating/controlling games against teams. Yes we did at end of last season for parts of games but a number of those games we could have lost without a bit of luck going our way. It will be harder this season when teams know what to expect. Midfield is where we were short all season. What are the players you would have a lot of faith in there..... Clingan, McSheffery, then who? ..... if they get injured what are the covering players that can actually do their job?, several could play in the positions but can they perform ?

Up front then we are short of 2 players ........... an experienced goal poacher plus one with searing pace.

Would like the young players to get some games..... how they do is important for our squad, their future, the clubs future and sadly our finances because the good ones will go

As yet I am not excited by the coming season, it will be tough and we have a small squad, but it is only July! so its not doom and gloom

PUSB

Macca

All we have to do is rectify last years problem of beating top ten sides and we can go up. Seriously is there really any other team that much better than us.

cloughie

Nice post, always nice to hear other peoples opinions and how they differ even though we support the same team...

Personally I think both Baker and Deegan are very good players and I'm hoping to see them both feayure more next season, Defence wise I think were pretty much sorted, especially for the central defence position. If / when Gunnar leaves I think alot of people have forgot abot Connor Thomas, there was uproar when he left, now he's back maybe a good time to give him a run in the first team ? For me our weakest area is upfront, were not great at scoring goals at the best of times and now King's gone I think it will be even worse....Every year we say maybe this will be Freddys year but lets face it he's just not good enough, Juke started to show potential but I don't see him as a 20 goal a season man, then we've got Jeffers who's unproven in the championship and Platt that's way passed his best.....With no prolific goal scorer and nothing on the horizon I predict a lot of 0-0 draws next season
McSheffery proven goal scorer in the championship but we do need another one

Glenn Storer

I met Gunnar and Kevin Thornton in the Butts Retreat one afternoon when England were playing. I asked him what the fuck he was doing with that pisshead and he quote:

"Was keeping him company, I'm only drinking water but Kev gets lonely and does stupid stuff."

Kevin was later thrown out the pub that evening for starting a fight.

ccfc_Tom

Deffinately need a goalscorer and maybe an experienced striker then I'd just like to see a top winger who can regularly get at least 10 goals a season or an attacking mid who does the same.

les_miserables

Thorn will sign the required players, in recent seasons fans have been boyant at the beginning and expecting to challenge the top slots, this time aspirations are low and depressing. I think there will be a surprise or two in the championship, there always is, and we will be one of them

cooperskyblue

I thought Bell was very good in midfield under Thorn. I thought the style of play really suited him alot more than playing on the wing as he does not have the pace.
And Freddy signed a 4 year deal 3 years ago so this is a VERY VERY big season for him, i agree he has had a lot more support than some players and really needs to start to deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread