Reactions: bulko

torchomatic

Feb 25, 2008
Warwick
Only surprise is there's only 4 on it.

Not incl. O'Hare, of course.

cstring82

Sep 7, 2011
Not surprised Lusala or Stretton have been released, don’t stand out for the U21s when I saw them. I always thought Stretton was going to be good but didn’t look very fit/energetic the last time I saw him play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saddlebrains

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
Without ever having seen him play, I thought Stretton was highly thought of??

He featured (and scored) in pre season a fair bit from memory, and was on the bench quite a lot early in the season so yeah he did seem to be rated.

Balli001

Aug 4, 2022
Stretton didnt even get many bench appearances when we were putting kids on there

mark82

Jul 15, 2010
South Yorkshire
Be interesting to see where Kelly & Moore end up. Reckon Kelly could still have a year or two in league one. Moore suspect will need to drop lower - league two maybe.

MrBlueFace

May 1, 2024
Be interesting to see where Kelly & Moore end up. Reckon Kelly could still have a year or two in league one. Moore suspect will need to drop lower - league two maybe.
As a career number 2, he might nail a nice number at a decent sized club. Hopefully so.

Potbellypig

Mar 23, 2024
Watching Stretton in pre season and when he played against Nuneaton Boro, I thought he looked like the next stand out youth player to come through. Probably speaks volumes that the small bunch of U21 players that have been on the bench pretty much all season haven't had a look in, and then Dausch pops up at the last minute with some game time.

Reactions: steve101

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Only surprise is there's only 4 on it.

Not incl. O'Hare, of course.

Because others are still under contract, so will depend on offers coming in.

What did you expect, the club to write off some contracts?

speedie87

Mar 28, 2011
Surprised at Stretton seen him play 4-5 times (admitedly not since Xmas) and he had good pace and power, good work ethic on the pitch

Reactions: steve101

torchomatic

Feb 25, 2008
Warwick
Because others are still under contract, so will depend on offers coming in.

What did you expect, the club to write off some contracts?

No, just didn't realise how few were out of contract.

Reactions: vow and Hobo

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Have done for years. We had greats like Danny Cashman and Tom Costello the last few years

Bin the u23s off, waste of time

The under 23's are about developing footballers, not necessarily for our first team. You have to look at the bigger picture going forward. For example Chelsea have made more than a £132 million on selling youngsters who have never played for their first team.. Which makes what we made on Gyokeres and Hamer look like peanuts.

Saddlebrains

Jul 2, 2019
Coventry
The under 23's are about developing footballers, not necessarily for our first team. You have to look at the bigger picture going forward. For example Chelsea have made more than a £132 million on selling youngsters who have never played for their first team.. Which makes what we made on Gyokeres and Hamer look like peanuts.

Thats straw clutching lets be honest. The standard of player we have in the U23s is piss poor, and the likes of Cashman couldn't even make it in the National League

larry_david

May 7, 2011
Cashman was a really odd one. We loaned him out several times straight away so it wasn't a case of bulking up the u23 squad numbers.

The twitter admin always talked about him like he was a superstar too. I just don't get why we took him on in the first place.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Thats straw clutching lets be honest. The standard of player we have in the U23s is piss poor, and the likes of Cashman couldn't even make it in the National Leag

It doesn't mean you have to give up on the under 23's. The club has a long history of producing good young talent. But it is not an exact science

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Cashman was a really odd one. We loaned him out several times straight away so it wasn't a case of bulking up the u23 squad numbers.

The twitter admin always talked about him like he was a superstar too. I just don't get why we took him on in the first place.

Perhaps it was a case of him letting his head go down and not forfilling his potential? Perhaps he had other stuff going on in his life? Perhaps he just lost his love for football?

Any one of these things can happen.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
You don’t need an U23 team to do that tho. After 18 just train with the first team until you go on loan.
They need their own fixtures and if you have very good under 18's they need under 23 fixtures to develop If you want to attract good youngsters the right framework has to be there to attract them. We are still spring cleaning the under investment of SISU. It won't all happen overnight.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
Wait, what? Lusala? The Lusala that a number of posters on here were calling on Robins to play and moaned when he didn't play him? That Lusala? 🤪

Just goes to show how short on numbers we were, because Robins clearly didn't rate Lusala or Stretton, but kept putting them on the bench, obviously just to make up the numbers.

Hobo

May 13, 2013
Coventry
Wait, what? Lusala? The Lusala that a number of posters on here were calling on Robins to play and moaned when he didn't play him? That Lusala? 🤪

Just goes to show how short on numbers we were, because Robins clearly didn't rate Lusala or Stretton, but kept putting them on the bench, obviously just to make up the numbers.

Yes, just like we had some senior Pros on the bench not fully fit and he was thinking can I get away with them giving me 15 minutes without screwing their rehab.

Users who are viewing this thread