Retained list (1 Viewer)

better days

Last edited:

Colin Steins Smile

Pending...

Bit of a weird article this, if i'm reading it right MR says he's not even going to have conversations with some of the players?

I'm guessing that the players he's not meeting face to face are retained ones and his feedback can be undertaken via video call.

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s only Jones out of the senior players which hasn’t been confirmed yet I think? Sounds pretty ominous for him

Happy_Martian

He probably just means that lengthy discussions will have to be forgone as the new season starts 2 weeks earlier than usual. To allow players to find new clubs, they need to be told quickly.

Philosorapter

From what's already been said on the forum, there's a change in the rules in the amount of substitutes or something. I don't follow too closely.

Bigger squad etc.

It's going to be interesting to know who's coming and going, but not the best time for those involved.

Gint11

I thought it was a bit strange when he said he won’t be doing face to face discussions, thought that would be a given.

On one hand it’s key to remember that we need strength in depth more than normal next season with the backlog of games following the World Cup (assuming the championship stops) but then on the other, there’s no point keeping players who don’t add anything to the team.

Briles

I'm pretty sure the likes of Hillsner and da costa don't need conversations. Walker on the other hand...

Skyblue_CP

I’ll be honest I don’t see what a lot of people apparently do in Moore. He’s alright, and that’s about as much as you can say. Wilson is definitely the better shot stopper of the 2 but is far too hot headed. Moore’s positioning is poor as are his general reflexes, he’s often pinned to his line and when he does come, I’m not always convinced he’s going to get there.

NorthernWisdom

I’ll be honest I don’t see what a lot of people apparently do in Moore. He’s alright, and that’s about as much as you can say. Wilson is definitely the better shot stopper of the 2 but is far too hot headed. Moore’s positioning is poor as are his general reflexes, he’s often pinned to his line and when he does come, I’m not always convinced he’s going to get there.
Since Moore came back from Covid he hasn't been quite right. Whether that's Covid, or finding his level is open to debate. I woudn't be gutted if we were to look for a replacement first choice keeper.

slowpoke

This is how I took it also, end of season so give some less featured players a few more games
Might be right but when the change of goalie happened we were still in the hat for the play-offs, don’t get me wrong I like Simon Moore, has had his moments but a reasonable safe pair of hands.

djr8369

Shot stopping is his only weak area IMO but to say he’s often pinned to his line is utterly crazy to me. He’s extremely quick and confident when coming off his line.

Adge

Pending...

Bit of a weird article this, if i'm reading it right MR says he's not even going to have conversations with some of the players?

Is this another Telegraph non story? Haven’t clicked or read it but wouldn’t pay much attention to anything Turner says if it is his article.

larry_david

Basically MR saying usually they do the sit down season debrief but they don't have time to do it this year so won't bother.

Or something like that

baldy

Well Moore has been left out and yes I know that’s football but it must mean there’s a doubt there and with respect to him I don’t see Ben Wilson as first choice on a regular basis.

Oh stop wetting the bed - Wilson came in after we knew we weren’t gonna make the playoffs plus Moore had played virtually every game
Such dramatic reactions to what is something minor

Terry Gibson's perm

Ngandu is no surprise never seemed anywhere near the first team even when we were short on numbers.

CovLad94

A strange one this … Captain of under 23’s all season but no where near the first team. Why develop the leadership skills of someone you plan to release ??
Perhaps captain due to being a stalwart of the 23s, been around for a while, but his age he really should be knocking on the door of the first team, never seemed close tbf

better days

A strange one this … Captain of under 23’s all season but no where near the first team. Why develop the leadership skills of someone you plan to release ??
The thing that's rarely talked about in football is how at any club there are usually only one or two youngsters in each age group who the coaches feel has a chance of making the first team
But they need the other 15 or so kids in order to field a team so the prospects can play
You get rare exceptions like the Manure Class of 92 but most clubs have guys like Ngandu who might have been prospects when they were younger and are kept on until eventually released at 18 or 19
Most end up playing semi pro but a lot are so disillusioned they give up the game completely

Deity

The thing that's rarely talked about in football is how at any club there are usually only one or two youngsters in each age group who the coaches feel has a chance of making the first team
But they need the other 15 or so kids in order to field a team so the prospects can play
You get rare exceptions like the Manure Class of 92 but most clubs have guys like Ngandu who might have been prospects when they were younger and are kept on until eventually released at 18 or 19
Most end up playing semi pro but a lot are so disillusioned they give up the game completely
Very true … still don’t need to make him captain though

SlowerThanPlatt

What you sometimes get then is parents slagging off the system if their lad doesn’t make the grade. I think at most clubs they’re pretty honest now from a young age and say your lad probably isn’t going to make it as a footballer.

Users who are viewing this thread