Remembering 1st game of the season (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

Similar to the aforementioned Forest game, the writing was on the wall at that point.

Funny thing is that Forest didn't win another game until January after that game, and ended up going down with a whimper. First day results can often be a pretty poor guide to what will follow.

fernandopartridge

Funny thing is that Forest didn't win another game until January after that game, and ended up going down with a whimper. First day results can often be a pretty poor guide to what will follow.

I'm talking about us, we were basically relegated ourselves that season and stayed up because Middlesbrough had a points deduction, the writing was on the wall like I said.

Legia Sky Blue

I'm talking about us, we were basically relegated ourselves that season and stayed up because Middlesbrough had a points deduction, the writing was on the wall like I said.

I've just had a look back to refresh my memory and to a degree you are right. As well as the points deduction, we were basically saved by a good spell after signing Huckerby in December, and a decent finish when Strachan donned his boots and inspired us to some positive and unlikely results against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal & of course Spurs. Even so we got 41 points that season, which is normally more than enough to stay up in a 20 team Premier League, so it was a bit of a freak season in a sense. The previous season we had only got 38 points and just stayed up on goal difference, so maybe the writing was already on the wall even before that Forest game.

PeterNdlovu14

The 3-2 win v Chelsea sticks in my mind as I remember my dads words being, "we could see some goals today, I'll go for a 3-2 win". As a 7/8 year old I thought he was some sort of football oracle!
Fast forward around 10 years, Barnsley away in a 4-1 win under Dowie was great. Hot day, I was 18 so just getting into the proper away days of a few beers before hand e.t.c. Even Kevin Kyle scored that day!

junglej13

Forest game was my first as a season ticket holder. The week after the 7-2 drubbing by Benfica if memory serves me.

Generally some great memories of the opening day of the season but I also remember walking out of the ground after the game against Middlesborough thinking we are in big, big trouble.

fernandopartridge

Forest game was my first as a season ticket holder. The week after the 7-2 drubbing by Benfica if memory serves me.

Generally some great memories of the opening day of the season but I also remember walking out of the ground after the game against Middlesborough thinking we are in big, big trouble.
I think Strachan signing Colin Hendry was probably one of his worst signings and played a big part in his downfall

Users who are viewing this thread