Religious intolerance (1 Viewer)

Otis

Wouldn't want to judge as others would probably look at me and say the same. It is our life but I'd like to think I'd ensure my kids health took precedence
I would say a 3 year old and a 5 year old need more than 6 hrs sleep.

You can worship God from your own home surely? I am certain that some people do and never go to church.

Commons sense needed surely.

Sky Blue Pete

I would say a 3 year old and a 5 year old need more than 6 hrs sleep.

You can worship God from your own home surely? I am certain that some people do and never go to church.

Commons sense needed surely.
Where's the six hours from? 12.45 to 9 gives about 7 and a half hours and probably one night it's fine. My 2 younger kids haven't come to midnight mass yet, one is 12, cause it's too late and they enjoy Christmas Day too much.

I think there are worse things than taking your kids to church a lot when it cones to parenting but some on here may disagree

Otis

Where's the six hours from? 12.45 to 9 gives about 7 and a half hours and probably one night it's fine. My 2 younger kids haven't come to midnight mass yet, one is 12, cause it's too late and they enjoy Christmas Day too much.

I think there are worse things than taking your kids to church a lot when it cones to parenting but some on here may disagree
They were up not long after 7. Can always hear them running about in the mornings.

They didn't get up at 9. And they came home at 12.45. They went to bed at about 1am.

Otis

In fact it was later. Just asked the wife and she says it was 1.15, not 12.45 and that they didn't go to bed until 1.30.

She remembered because she was a bit shocked, thinking they would sleep in the next day, but it was Sunday and of course they HAD to go to church.

It was 6 hours sleep max.

We are digressing anyway. I have no problem with people believing in God. That's up to them. I just don't get how he has to be thanked every single day and worshipped every single day.

Just seems bizarre. It's like people need reassurance on a risky basis.

Sky Blue Pete

In fact it was later. Just asked the wife and she says it was 1.15, not 12.45 and that they didn't go to bed until 1.30.

She remembered because she was a bit shocked, thinking they would sleep in the next day, but it was Sunday and of course they HAD to go to church.

It was 6 hours sleep max.

We are digressing anyway. I have no problem with people believing in God. That's up to them. I just don't get how he has to be thanked every single day and worshipped every single day.

Just seems bizarre. It's like people need reassurance on a risky basis.
Ah I understand the less than 6 hours. I wonder if I know your neighbours Otis

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Probably. I mean, there's only the one church in Coventry isn't there. ;)

You show me yours and I will show you theirs.
I was meaning there aren't many churches that have services that go on till 1am. But you're correct one church under god

Monners

Ooh, contentious point.

There are significant differences between the Catholic and 'Christian' faith. Confession, the importance of Mary (Mother of God). ;)

And besides, if you ask a Catholic about their religion, they don't say they are Christian, they say they are Catholic.

:)
Catholicism is a denomination of the Christian faith - so are Methodists, baptists et al

Sky Blue Pete

I'm reminded of a phrase used to refer to witnessing to others about your faith, how important it is and if absolutely necessary use words

ccfc92

Just caught up on this thread, and seen what's posted over the last few days, Jesus :joyful: Literally :joyful:

ccfc92

I would be interested to find out how someone can be 100% certain on something.

Like I asked the other day, on 1-10 on "God" being real, I'd say it's probably a 1-2 for me, purely because of the amount of "believers" in the world, and more of a hope that there IS a meaning to life, and it's not just born, live, die.

I just think "Religion" needs reforming to fit with modern life, but if this is done, surely it undermines the Bible etc?

Sky Blue Pete

Like I asked the other day, on 1-10 on "God" being real, I'd say it's probably a 1-2 for me, purely because of the amount of "believers" in the world, and more of a hope that there IS a meaning to life, and it's not just born, live, die.

I just think "Religion" needs reforming to fit with modern life, but if this is done, surely it undermines the Bible etc?
I don't think it does personally

Otis

But isn't a lot of belief based on tradition and succession and the being brought up in Christian families and beliefs passed down?

The Christians next door are all Christian. The mum and dad have taken their kids to church, taught them their way of life and obviously told them that God is real and all about salvation and putting your faith in Christ.

The 4 kids are all home schooled so that indoctrinates them further. They are taught to believe in God.

First day we moved in the kids asked us 'What church do you go to?' I said we don't go to church. They looked shocked and completely baffled.

It's all they know, so I expect all 4 kids to stay Christians and then pass down their beliefs to their children and so forth. I guess in a lot of instances if your parents tell you something is true and tell it your every day there is a pretty good chance you are going to accept and believe it.

With my daughter I told her that I didn't believe in God, but that it was up to her and if she believed that was fine. I did that when she was about 6-7 and they started teaching RE at school.

I still say the same thing now, but she has already decided there is no God and she puts up great arguments as to why in class.

I am quite proud of her.

Sky Blue Pete

But isn't a lot of belief based on tradition and succession and the being brought up in Christian families and beliefs passed down?

The Christians next door are all Christian. The mum and dad have taken their kids to church, taught them their way of life and obviously told them that God is real and all about salvation and putting your faith in Christ.

The 4 kids are all home schooled so that indoctrinates them further. They are taught to believe in God.

First day we moved in the kids asked us 'What church do you go to?' I said we don't go to church. They looked shocked and completely baffled.

It's all they know, so I expect all 4 kids to stay Christians and then pass down their beliefs to their children and so forth. I guess in a lot of instances if your parents tell you something is true and tell it your every day there is a pretty good chance you are going to accept and believe it.

With my daughter I told her that I didn't believe in God, but that it was up to her and if she believed that was fine. I did that when she was about 6-7 and they started teaching RE at school.

I still say the same thing now, but she has already decided there is no God and she puts up great arguments as to why in class.

I am quite proud of her.
I'm not from a Christian family. Very open with my kids about different faiths and ensuring our faith impacts our lives all the time rather than just on a Sunday

Otis

I'm not from a Christian family. Very open with my kids about different faiths and ensuring our faith impacts our lives all the time rather than just on a Sunday
I can guess it must be very difficult in Christian families if a member of the family turns their back on religion, because to families mind that may mean they consider that person is then going to hell.

I do honestly think it would be so much nicer and easier if you were to get into heaven through good deeds and helping people.

The world would be a much nicer place.

Sky Blue Pete

I can guess it must be very difficult in Christian families if a member of the family turns their back on religion, because to families mind that may mean they consider that person is then going to hell.

I do honestly think it would be so much nicer and easier if you were to get into heaven through good deeds and helping people.

The world would be a much nicer place.
It's not about haven or hell its more living life in all its fullness

Users who are viewing this thread