Reflections on the January Window (1 Viewer)

skybluecam

It's the same for all sides. We're nothing special in that way.

We have such a good side that we can rearrange the side without being very weak. Other sides below us don't have that luxury. Not as good as a fully fit first team but at least we can bring in players that know the system and what their job is. Bring on loans and they could spend a few games just trying to get up to speed and that's if they're even match fit.

The way some talk you would think there's a glut of players match fit that would slot straight in that their side would be happy to let go until the end of the season.
Any side without Wright & Sakamoto in it looks weak

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You can almost separate it out into two things:

1) As a transfer window geared towards promotion this season, you could say there wasn't a huge amount of urgency.
2) As a club moving in the right direction, you could say it was a really good window. McFadzean lost, who on an emotional level is really sad, but on a playing level is understandable. In return we brought in a really promising central midfielder, and an attacking player who will join is in the summer with clearly some really positive statistics in his favour.

I don't know about anyone else, but as a CCFC fan I am automatically directed towards the January window being a negative thing. Who will we lose? Who will we sell? Actually, it wasn't, and isn't anything like that now. I would have liked us to recruit for it this season more seriously, but deep down I don't feel the need to complain so much. It's a much better window than many seasons gone by. We've got enough to give the playoffs some serious attention. Let's try to stay positive!

Astute

Take two very good players out of any of the sides around us and they would look weak. And that's if they even have two very good players to start with.

Take two top players out of most Prem sides and they would look weak. Are you still pissed off we have made it into the playoff places and are putting a gap between us and the sides below when you told us how shite we are constantly?

skybluecam

Take two very good players out of any of the sides around us and they would look weak. And that's if they even have two very good players to start with.

Take two top players out of most Prem sides and they would look weak. Are you still pissed off we have made it into the playoff places and are putting a gap between us and the sides below when you told us how shite we are constantly?
Two players shouldn’t be catastrophic.

Dropping points on Tuesday is the opposite of building a gap.

Not sure when I said we were shite (apart from pre formation change, when we were).

Astute

Two players shouldn’t be catastrophic.

Dropping points on Tuesday is the opposite of building a gap.

Not sure when I said we were shite (apart from pre formation change, when we were).
You've gone from looking weak to catastrophic. You're a right proper drama queen.

So we haven't caught up with the sides around the playoff places then gone past them putting a gap between us in just a few weeks because of one game? Look at the table. Look forward to your excuses.

skybluecam

You've gone from looking weak to catastrophic. You're a right proper drama queen.

So we haven't caught up with the sides around the playoff places then gone past them putting a gap between us in just a few weeks because of one game? Look at the table. Look forward to your excuses.
Table tells me we are out of the top 6 if Hull win their game in hand.

A Simms - Godden - Palmer front 3 would be pretty catastrophic for our playoff chances.

Astute

Table tells me we are out of the top 6 if Hull win their game in hand.

A Simms - Godden - Palmer front 3 would be pretty catastrophic for our playoff chances.
Form also tells you they have only won 1, drawn 1 and lost 3 so far this year. Yes they might win but you talk as though they're an excellent side and ignore how quickly we caught them up then went past them.

Isn't it strange how you remove two of our best players to try and make a point. Can we also remove 2 of the best players from all the sides around us?

hamertime

I'll give you a bit of attention. I know it's what you crave.

No backing at all other than the signing of Torp who although not up to speed in the Championship scored a great goal and put some very good corners in as well as made a few good runs and also spent another few million on another young prospect that loves to attack.

Next you'll be begging for a better owner more on the lines of someone like SISU who would fund our club much better 🙄

Edit...can you pretend you're Robins please.
Oooh kitty. You’re turning in to a proper little company man. Robins sounds gutted, he stated he is disappointed with what’s happened but you are happy. Who knows more about football doug or robins? We’re light as a squad and will fall away from the play offs and finish about 10th. But your happy with that as we are building for 2030.

Balli001

Oooh kitty. You’re turning in to a proper little company man. Robins sounds gutted, he stated he is disappointed with what’s happened but you are happy. Who knows more about football doug or robins? We’re light as a squad and will fall away from the play offs and finish about 10th. But your happy with that as we are building for 2030.
So if we make the play offs can you confirm you will fall on your sword and admit you know sod all?

Astute

So if we make the play offs can you confirm you will fall on your sword and admit you know sod all?
Seen the other thread?

He thinks you can have 3 loan players in your squad and can sign loan players outside the transfer window 😂

Not bad for someone who is saying we will end up closer to mid table than the top 6 because we're not bringing in loan players.

hamertime

Seen the other thread?

He thinks you can have 3 loan players in your squad and can sign loan players outside the transfer window 😂

Not bad for someone who is saying we will end up closer to mid table than the top 6 because we're not bringing in loan players.
I asked if you can loan players outside the window as I was unsure. I didn’t say you could. You are a liar show your true colours.

You can loan up to 5 players. Southampton have 5, not doing too bad are they.

Astute

I asked if you can loan players outside the window as I was unsure. I didn’t say you could. You are a liar show your true colours.

You can loan up to 5 players. Southampton have 5, not doing too bad are they.
So you admit you're clueless and didn't know what you were talking about. You made them comments this morning.

Did you not say 3 loan players in the squad? You didn't ask if that was right.

hamertime

So you admit you're clueless and didn't know what you were talking about. You made them comments this morning.

Did you not say 3 loan players in the squad? You didn't ask if that was right.
I said I would like up to 3 as more than that is too much in my opinion.

You are a liar, completely let yourself down there. Knowing you were doing it but just trying your hardest to make someone look bad. Shown true colours.

Astute

I’d rather take one or 2 loans players of better quality. We needed to own the vast majority of our players as we never want a squad turnover like last season it killed us. I think though you can have up to 3 loan players in a squad. Can you still loan players even though the window has closed?

This is your post on the other thread.

So who is the liar?

Astute

You didn't answer my question tho. Will you admit you talk shite and got it wrong? Even if you bet you would find a way to get out of paying
Just shown him to be full of shite.

You do know it's Boosh don't you?

stupot07

We fell short last season as we "ran out of squad" at Wembley.
I will be surprised if we are not in for the same.
Still, there's always next season, which I've heard from so many City fans since, mmmmm, about 1974.
Yeah you're right, although we were majorly reliant on Hamer and Gyokeres, our only response to the Hamer injury, was to put an injured Palmer on for 15 minutes before subbing him back on.

Although we are a stronger team we are massively reliant on Sakamoto in particular, in this formation, which may mean reverting back to 352 which hasn't worked this season. Even Robins said he's disappointed and and we lack depth.

It's 6/10 window for me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SAJ

What that weak that without Wright we win 3 matches and drew 2? The whole point of having a decent squad is the when the inevitable injuries come someone else can step in without drastically weakening the team. This is exactly what has happened since Middlesbrough with Wright injury.

Gibbo

1. After 400 pages of comments nobody spotted either of the two new players or the departure of Fadz to another Championship club. Is that the best effort the best pundits in Coventry can do?

2. Not noticing Torp was understandable. Who'd heard of him? But he does fit totally with the model of seeking value on the Continent. The attempt to acquire 'free's' from Europe was a lamentable failure, four duds in four, but the purchase of Hamer showed the way. You have to spend some money, but its not what you would spend for an English league player. The performances of MvE and Saka (both more expensive than Hamer) shows the model works. Torp is next in line even if not match day ready from day 1...

3. ...as in a different way is EMC. He represents a a long term strategy - just like Kitching and Thomas. It is not just about this season. We are clearly not ready for the Prem and to make that work, if it is even possible, you have to have a solid core of quality and spirit in the promotion side. It is a high risk strategy to try to buy a side over the Summer after promotion even though Forest pulled it off in the short term.

4.I like good quality loans for difficult positions, and they were a big factor last season. However maybe we have moved beyond - they are great for getting you out of trouble in the basement of the division, but just create a problem in the future if you use too many to get promoted. Hull should beware.

Bidda

I'm sure that there was plenty of activity trying to get transfers over the line but only the ones that are either prudent or for the long term. Undoubtedly Robins will feel disappointed but also will comprehend the big picture and know full well that summer additions will make this squad very competitive next season.
Whilst I am slightly disappointed in the immediate term looking further forward I am very optimistic. So much so that if we don't get promoted this season I will be having a substantial ew bet on us for The Championship next season.
I agree. I would rather us have brought players in that meet the requirements than, as has happened so many times in the past, been bought just to make the numbers up. I’m just delighted that there is a plan to try to get promoted in the next five years. Lots of things to be optimistic about.

I’m watching how last season’s newly-promoted teams are faring. Burnley, who ran away with last season’s title, can’t buy a win. Neither can Sheff Utd. Luton have just started to get the hang of PL football so it will be interesting to see how their season plays out. And, of course, if they do manage to stay up, there’s next season to then worry about.

My thinking is that l would prefer to have a battle-hardened squad get promoted that is better-equipped to cope with the hugely high standards of PL football. By ‘battle-hardened’, l mean a squad that has fought together for a while and been able to cope with the pressures of providing a consistently high-level of football.

l’m just so pleased that the forum banter is about promotion rather than the years of trying to fathom how many points we need from our remaining games to avoid relegation!

Cally Fedora

Solid window for me. Two more prospects added to the “owned” ranks. No harmful departures and overall a sense that we are building professionally and carefully. No panic regards this year. Current squad is strong - in fact there is a thread stating that this team is better which most agreed with and we’ve added Torp to that.

Astute

Solid window for me. Two more prospects added to the “owned” ranks. No harmful departures and overall a sense that we are building professionally and carefully. No panic regards this year. Current squad is strong - in fact there is a thread stating that this team is better which most agreed with and we’ve added Torp to that.
That made me laugh. We went from the strongest bench we've had for years to not having the players to come in if we get injuries 😂

StrettoBoy

We ideally need another 2 or 3 quality players - one of whom will replace COH - but it's still the strongest squad we have had in a long time. In recent years we have sometimes had to make the bench up with kids or two goalkeepers and on occasion haven't had a full bench.

Onwards and upwards 👍

Hobo

Norwich are a decent side I agree. But they're nothing special. They're below us for a reason. Lack of consistency.

Of course anything can happen. Bit I'm happy with where we are.

"Below us for a reason.". 3 points below us, if they win today,Norwich will have the same amount of points as us!

San Francisco

Could've done with a few more players in. Still looking thin and lacking quality strength in depth. This is what sets us apart from the teams around us.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Pleased with the signing of Torp, as he seems to be the replacement for Hamer.

Also happy with EMC, but as he's not here until next season I'm counting him as a summer signing.

Didn't lose anyone vital either, so that's good.

Still think the squad is too small and we needed a couple in right now. I'm worried players will start getting injuries due to playing so many minutes.

As much as it's great to have long term planning, if the chance is there to push for promotion now, you do it as you never know how the following season might pan out even if things look good on paper.

Hobo

That made me laugh. We went from the strongest bench we've had for years to not having the players to come in if we get injuries 😂
Trying to cover for injuries is like how long is a piece of string?

We have one player injured? Hardly a disaster to the squad, even if not ideal.

Ok Kitching is now suspended but so far Binks has been a like for like replacement.

stupot07

Trying to cover for injuries is like how long is a piece of string?

We have one player injured? Hardly a disaster to the squad, even if not ideal.

Ok Kitching is now suspended but so far Binks has been a like for like replacement.
Tbf though, it now means we're back to having to have kids on the bench

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread