Referee Analysis Swansea (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Finally a ref to bitch about. After three or four good 'uns in a row.

Came into the game with a bit of history v Swansea and we weren't sure what to expect.
I have praised refs for letting the game flow and ignoring minor shit from both sides. I think this is one where he should have stamped some control early as the unchecked fouls got worse and more frequent to the detriment of the game (Opinion Adge?) Seemed to be about 70/30 against us.

Pen appeals. O'Hare. Was surprised he didn't give it. Replay shows he was right.
(Hyam's?) Handball? Right call. Arms were down and there was no attempt. (It seems as though this rule changes regularly and I'm not sure of the current actual wording of the law)
Yellows. Could have been a lot more. I thought Ostigard had got away with his but was eventually given (For dissent??)
McCallum's. I closed my eyes and waited for a red. Some would have given it.

There were two strange offside calls. 1st half Walker chased a ball and kicked it over his head to Biamou. Biamou looked to play it back but didn't as Walker was in an offside position. Whistle went I assumed for ball out of play before Walker's kick but it seems offside was the call. WTF
2nd half Swansea broke on the right and we won possession. There were three passes between defenders when inexplicably the game was stopped for an offside against a Swansea player that hadn't touched the ball.

The ref's loss of control showed when the handbags erupted after a free kick was awarded to Gyokkeres. Ref didn't seem to know what to do when he was surrounded by Swansea players.

Overall Rating 5

Magwitch

I rarely bitch about referees but tonight’s ref looked to me he didn’t want there, heavily and publically criticised a few weeks ago by Swansea manager Cooper and the Swansea players
milked it he should have never been given another Swansea game would love to know what the assessor thought.

steve101

There were a couple of blatant pushes in the back when going up for headers early on which were not given. I think O'Hare was clipped for penalty. Otherwise he had a clear goal scoring opportunity. If ref thought there was no contact then O'Hare should have been booked for simulation. I then thought we should have had s penalty in the second half when Fadz was wrestled to the ground on our corner.

Johhny Blue

There were a couple of blatant pushes in the back when going up for headers early on which were not given. I think O'Hare was clipped for penalty. Otherwise he had a clear goal scoring opportunity. If ref thought there was no contact then O'Hare should have been booked for simulation. I then thought we should have had s penalty in the second half when Fadz was wrestled to the ground on our corner.
I think that was "50/50 Wrestling" We were lucky to re-take. Usually given against the attacker

Magwitch

There were a couple of blatant pushes in the back when going up for headers early on which were not given. I think O'Hare was clipped for penalty. Otherwise he had a clear goal scoring opportunity. If ref thought there was no contact then O'Hare should have been booked for simulation.
That’s what Paul Merson said on tv he was watching our game. In his opinion O’Hares heels were clipped.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Was the bench involved? I know the Manager complained big time but don't know the details

It was another shit description from me to be fair.

There was obviously some limelight after that game, so I think putting the ref back out there for one of their games was particularly stupid.

The pen could have been given for example. Not that we will ever know.

Frostie

Was the bench involved? I know the Manager complained big time but don't know the details

Manager got fined for literally calling him a cheat & said he never wants him refereeing a Swansea game again.

2 months later & FA think this was a suitable appointment. They bullied him all game & he let it happen.

Briles

That’s what Paul Merson said on tv he was watching our game. In his opinion O’Hares heels were clipped.

Nope. Saw it and the replay. Anticipated a touch that never came.

D

Deleted member 2477

the ref bottled it tonight and his performance showed he was scared of Swansea

Adge

I’ve said it before and still stand by it that no referee is biased. Fans are biased so will see a referee much worse as it’s against thier team.
The referee tonight didn’t have a great game but was he “biased” in favour of Swansea? No.
Did what had been said previously by Swansea about him play on his mind? Quite possibly. Would this have affected his performance-maybe and I was quite surprised he was given the fixture. I guess the length of time would be a factor as I think the previous comments about the referee were 2 months ago?
I have been in situations where a game has been heated and there have been exchanges but it would never come into my thinking the next time I had said team that there would be any leaning towards them because of previous.

O’Hare went down far too easily and not a penalty for me.

MacFadzean you could say was more of a penalty where some would say 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Thing is the referee had stopped play beforehand so had a get out clause-may have been interesting to see if he had given it if play hadn’t been stopped (think I’m right that play had been stopped at that point)
McCallum was an “orange” which as said in previous discussions could be red or could be yellow but yellow the right call for me.
I’d agree with 5/10 about right.

Frostie

I’ve said it before and still stand by it that no referee is biased. Fans are biased so will see a referee much worse as it’s against thier team.
The referee tonight didn’t have a great game but was he “biased” in favour of Swansea? No.
Did what had been said previously by Swansea about him play on his mind? Quite possibly. Would this have affected his performance-maybe and I was quite surprised he was given the fixture. I guess the length of time would be a factor as I think the previous comments about the referee were 2 months ago?
I have been in situations where a game has been heated and there have been exchanges but it would never come into my thinking the next time I had said team that there would be any leaning towards them because of previous.

O’Hare went down far too easily and not a penalty for me.

MacFadzean you could say was more of a penalty where some would say 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Thing is the referee had stopped play beforehand so had a get out clause-may have been interesting to see if he had given it if play hadn’t been stopped (think I’m right that play had been stopped at that point)
McCallum was an “orange” which as said in previous discussions could be red or could be yellow but yellow the right call for me.
I’d agree with 5/10 about right.

Agree with that, the major decisions were ok in the main it was just the way he was letting them dictate to him. How a team can consistently show that much dissent & time wasting yet only pick up 1 late yellow card is pretty poor.

Whilst what you're saying is absolutely right about being impartial, I think comments like those made by Cooper will always be there in your mind & subconsciously you may be more lenient to them than you perhaps should.
That's on the FA though, no way should he have been given the game so recently after the fall out.

One decision I had a real gripe with was Guehi's blatant holding of Biamou when they were running the channel just because it was so clear & right in front of the assistant. Can fully understand ref couldn't tell for sure who was pulling who but after good teamwork between the officials against Brentford we were back to an Assistant who didn't want to get involved again.

no_loyalty

The referee was awful and his running style was strange to say the least, no doubt Cooper gave him a pat on the back after the game.

Pete in Portugal

The ref was shocking. He seemed to be scared to call blatant fouls by the Swansea players. Having said that, I'm not sure there was much, if any, contact for O'Hare's penalty shout and McCallum was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread