Referee Analysis Cardiff (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

I started doing these because we were complaining week after week about bad refereeing. As soon as I started the standard improved and there wasn't much to bitch about.
Until today.

It wasn't a hard game for the ref but he seemed to get almost everything wrong.
Played a few advantages for them but can't remember any for us.
Could have brought his cards out earlier. Osti was lucky not to get one. Looked like a punch/slap to the face. Cardiff could have had a couple.
Max's penalty shout. I thought it was a weak attempt at a dive but the replay shows his heel was clipped. Not really blaming the ref for that. It was hard to see.
McCallum was pulled down on one occasion in front of the ref and he let it go .Immediately McCallum did exactly the same thing and was called.
All three goals had a hint of offside. (I haven't watched replays yet).
Even though it cost us a goal I wish more refs would let the quick free kicks go. Some feel as though they have to be the "Boss" and call them back.
Gave a free kick against Max in the second half when he robbed a defender.
Almost every free kick we got in the last 20 minutes a Cardiff player kicked the ball away without even being warned. Ref added 6 seconds at the end.
We were well beaten today and a good ref wouldn't have saved us but overall rating 5.

mrtrench

There seem to be a lot of clubs at this level who have a strategy to push any player that beats them in the back. It disrupts any flow to the game and even if a free kick is given there is seldom a yellow and they are free to do it again.

Some of their "tackles" today were also just deliberate trips.

It ruins the game for me and gives no protection to more technically gifted teams and players.

Dickie

All the officials fell for their play acting and blatant cheating time and time again. As I said on the match thread, if teams want to cheat then fine we should too. We’re too nice. Norwich and Brentford are fine and don’t cheat like that. Swansea do. I wonder if we’ll learn our lesson?

With the Max and maybe O’Hare possible lens why did we not surround the ref like they would?

Allen was the only one who gradually realised he should play for cheap free kicks. He did and got them.

Cov kid 55

Very poor ref, didn’t seem to realise that Cardiff were constantly stopping our attacks from building by committing fouls. More cards neede early to stop them.Haven’t seen the stats, but they must have committed so many more fouls than City?

lifeskyblue

Didn’t think much of the ref today...not an excuse for our performance but he was not up to it.
He should have shown yellow cards earlier, perhaps even a double yellow and shouldn’t have allowed them to intimidate him or constantly kicked ball away after fouls given. He could have ruled our goal out for handball, possibly given a pen on max. With O’Hare it was either a penalty or a dive...also dive by their player. He could have given pen by dacosta after Marosi slow off his line. Overall not the best of performances by ref but his performance was better than most of our team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergusons_Beard

Been saying it for a while we have to get ‘cuter’.

There are times when we get punished for being ‘honest’ and trying to stay up when fouled-only to lose the ball and the ref give nothing-when if we’d have fallen down with the initial challenge we’d have won the foul.

As has already been said too many anti football ‘spoiler’ teams who play for time, master the dark arts and commit loads of fouls.

We have shown that we can beat sides like this with speed of thought, movement and slick interplay between players.

When we get bogged down in an attritional battle with these kind of teams we lose focus and identify.

This will come with more championship experience. When our players realise that they are good enough to play in this division!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pusbccfc

O'Hare could get chokeslamed and not win a free kick.

ccfc92

Very poor ref, didn’t seem to realise that Cardiff were constantly stopping our attacks from building by committing fouls. More cards neede early to stop them.Haven’t seen the stats, but they must have committed so many more fouls than City?

25 v 11 iirc.

dadgad

Cardiff were dirty and encouraged by a lax ref.
You could see by their smiles that they knew they were getting away with it.

ccfc92

Cardiff were dirty and encouraged by a lax ref.
You could see by their smiles that they knew they were getting away with it.

Someone said on the match thread, put your hands up and get away with yellow.

Wilson and long haired prick could have been sent off twice over through yellows.

Adge

Deliberately didn’t post on this subject yesterday as due to the manor of the performance and the defeat it is easy for people to point the finger at the referee for most of our failings.
Cardiff like a lot of teams in this league have their fair share of bruisers and the bottom line is we haven’t and are far too nice. Is this the referees fault? No.
What I will say is that he should have given O’Hare a bit more protection and that was evident.
Very very brave to let the quick free kick go for Cardiff’s 3rd and this can be disastrous if this goes wrong. What I mean by this is the classic line you hear from the defending team (us in this case) here is “we weren’t ready ref” and lots of mayhem ensues. The safe bet here is to tell everyone to “wait for the whistle” and this stops problems occurring in this scenario.
So from a neutral point of view that was brave refereeing so is a plus point (but obviously not for us) for the official but as usual we just accepted this as like I and others mentioned previously we are just too nice and not streetwise enough.

stevefloyd

Deliberately didn’t post on this subject yesterday as due to the manor of the performance and the defeat it is easy for people to point the finger at the referee for most of our failings.
Cardiff like a lot of teams in this league have their fair share of bruisers and the bottom line is we haven’t and are far too nice. Is this the referees fault? No.
What I will say is that he should have given O’Hare a bit more protection and that was evident.
Very very brave to let the quick free kick go for Cardiff’s 3rd and this can be disastrous if this goes wrong. What I mean by this is the classic line you hear from the defending team (us in this case) here is “we weren’t ready ref” and lots of mayhem ensues. The safe bet here is to tell everyone to “wait for the whistle” and this stops problems occurring in this scenario.
So from a neutral point of view that was brave refereeing so is a plus point (but obviously not for us) for the official but as usual we just accepted this as like I and others mentioned previously we are just too nice and not streetwise enough.
I don't have a problem with the allowance of the quick free kick, they were switched on McCallum and co were still daydreaming

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But surely the way to stop these bruisers and to protect players is to penalise and book them so they can't continue doing it? Yesterday the ref totally failed to do so and the Cardiff players went around clogging people because they knew the ref wasn't doing anything about it. Clamp down on that early on with a yellow card and hey presto, problem goes away.

jordan210

I can get very carried away in the match threads about the refs.

The guy yesterday was awful as mentioned above. With the amount of time wasting should have been minimal 5 mins extra time in each half. But some how they got 2 and 3 mins.

Part of the issue that makes it worse is how bad we are at playing the ref. Week in week out as soon as we foul someone they surround the ref and keep at him. We dont do this.

every time we win a foul they kick the ball away. We dont do this. If we did they would not have been able to take the quick free kick.

We need to get street wise and quick. Every team is playing the ref and we don't.

Frostie

I don't have a problem with the allowance of the quick free kick, they were switched on McCallum and co were still daydreaming

The most annoying thing about it is we quite like a quick free kick ourselves so should know better to then be caught out so hideously by one against us. Absolutely amateurish.

Johhny Blue

The most annoying thing about it is we quite like a quick free kick ourselves so should know better to then be caught out so hideously by one against us. Absolutely amateurish.
We’ve had quite a few called back. That’s the frustrating part. I like teams having the option but the ref has to be awake. If he wants a word with a player fair enough but otherwise let’s play.
It also might mean the team that conceded the kick might be less inclined to bitch at the ref.

Users who are viewing this thread