Ref (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator

wingy

Had an outfield player attempted the same challenge I’m sure he’d have been sent off, not really sure why that makes a difference’ but to the ref I’m sure it does.
Because if a player runs into a player late which as a tactic has definitely become a thing!

skyblu3sk

Yeah a still image is great, it makes it look like he's miles late after the player has gone by him. He's just kicked the ball and their player has actually gone into him.

Where was he meant to put his leg after he stretched to kick it? He wasn't even going in the direction of the player, their player went into him.
All I'm saying is he makes contact and that gives the ref a decision to make. I think it's way worse as his leg is locked out so rather than hitting and crumpling it lifts the player off the ground. The fact his leg only has one place to go is probably why the ref deemed it dangerous. At the time I thought it was a good challenge but where does there player go to avoid contact?

skyblu3sk

anything can look worse in a freeze frame

i can't believe this is the hill you are choosing to die on? a shocking penalty to fucking leicester
I can't believe this is a hill you are willing to die on after everyone in the sky studio and Mark Robins said it was a pen I'd trust their judgement over yours any day of the week.

David O'Day

All I'm saying is he makes contact and that gives the ref a decision to make. I think it's way worse as his leg is locked out so rather than hitting and crumpling it lifts the player off the ground. The fact his leg only has one place to go is probably why the ref deemed it dangerous. At the time I thought it was a good challenge but where does there player go to avoid contact?
D-H makes contact with him, it doesn't matter if he has nowhere to go though as it's still not a pen anyway you look at it

David O'Day

I can't believe this is a hill you are willing to die on after everyone in the sky studio and Mark Robins said it was a pen I'd trust their judgement over yours any day of the week.
Robins, doesn't think it's pen

I can tell you that for a fact, it's just he decided he didn't want to risk it and slag off a ref after winning a game

Oh, sky sports pundits! wow all the reports seem to say it was at best very soft

Nick

Administrator
Ok so what happens if a player kicks it and another player slides in late and gets kicked instead of the ball.

Their player was actually the one that initiated contact after the ball was kicked by Thomas. Usually a player kicks a ball and then another player goes into them afterwards it's a foul, isn't it?

Thomas has nowhere to put his leg after kicking it.

David O'Day

Ok so what happens if a player kicks it and another player slides in late and gets kicked instead of the ball.

Their player was actually the one that initiated contact after the ball was kicked by Thomas. Usually a player kicks a ball and then another player goes into them afterwards it's a foul, isn't it?

that's the thing, if you applied the same logic that gave the pen yesterday there would be about 100 fouls a game

SBT

1705244442724.jpeg
Absolutely shocking stuff from Houchen here - could easily have killed Ray Clemence if he’d connected at that speed, reckless and dangerous. Hope VAR takes a serious look.

skyblu3sk

The player would have left his feet so wouldn't be at a normal height you'd expect them so I'd suggest no foul given. His boot doesn't strike their players foot it's a fair way up the leg which makes it different. I think there's a fair amount of Sky blue glasses being used here. Similarly although their keeper doesn't make contact with Godden he absolutely should have got booked.

Nick

Administrator
If those stills showed a situation where Thomas had missed the ball and caught the man, then clear penalty and potential red card. However , that isn’t the case.
Exactly. It doesn't show the context that he's just kicked the ball and their player has gone into him.

At this point the ref was trying to impress winks anyway.

skyblu3sk

If those stills showed a situation where Thomas had missed the ball and caught the man, then clear penalty and potential red card. However , that isn’t the case.
It isn't a red card I have repeatedly said that but on balance I think it is a pen.

shmmeee

“he makes contact”

Its not netball!

Nick

Administrator
The player would have left his feet so wouldn't be at a normal height you'd expect them so I'd suggest no foul given. His boot doesn't strike their players foot it's a fair way up the leg which makes it different. I think there's a fair amount of Sky blue glasses being used here. Similarly although their keeper doesn't make contact with Godden he absolutely should have got booked.

No if the player was on the floor through as he foot goes up could easily be at knee height.

The issue is that it was their player that actually initiated the contact, Thomas didn't go in on him thigh high after the ball had gone.

bazza16

After their keepers karate kick, I don't know why Casadei didn't get booked. We won the ball and had an open goal and he stopped a goal scoring opportunity.

skyblu3sk

No if the player was on the floor through as he foot goes up could easily be at knee height.

The issue is that it was their player that actually initiated the contact, Thomas didn't go in on him thigh high after the ball had gone.
He didn't initiate the contact Thomas dived across he carried on running straight. Thomas initiated the contact. Just because it was half a second after the ball was played doesn't make it less true.

David O'Day

He didn't initiate the contact Thomas dived across he carried on running straight. Thomas initiated the contact. Just because it was half a second after the ball was played doesn't make it less true.
he did though, Thomas is allowed to kick ball and doesn't have to move out the way

Nick

Administrator
Yes he kicked the ball and their player ran into him after he kicked it

If their player kicked it and Thomas had flown into him you would have a point

Nick

Administrator
Not if both players are going for the ball and have a chance of going for it. If it was a diving header in to someone's thigh I'm not sure how that would play out...
Yet Thomas went for the ball and actually kicked it before their player actually got there.

slowpoke

The bonus is the ref didn’t wave the red card as he gave a yellow he could have deemed it dangerous enough for a red.
Dewsbury-Hall tried to make a meal if it rolling round as if he had been shot but then suddenly fine and composed to take the pen

Users who are viewing this thread