Ref Watch on Sky Sports (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Does anybody watch it? Any mention of our game or will it just be for the "big boys"?

Bugsy

Does anybody watch it? Any mention of our game or will it just be for the "big boys"?

They mentioned the hand ball incident for hadji pen and the offside mate.

And also this

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
So I can see they have discussed the pen but cant find anything about the offside.

1ccfc

So I can see they have discussed the pen but cant find anything about the offside.

Basically he says it was the correct decision.

Nick

Administrator
DERMOT SAYS: "If he'd worn size-eight boots instead of size 10, he would have been given onside. But it's a factual decision."

Is offside 100% factual though in some cases?

Mucca Mad Boys

Is offside 100% factual though in some cases?
Sounds like he’s basing his ‘factual decision’ on the incorrect frame…

It is offside in the given frame but was that the ‘first point of contact?’ Its open to interpretation, but in my view, it’s a dribble move and then he chips it through.

Again, referee’s won’t even call out a referee even when something is horribly wrong - look at the ‘good call lads’ incident from Liverpool v Spurs.

SBAndy

Sounds like he’s basing his ‘factual decision’ on the incorrect frame…

It is offside in the given frame but was that the ‘first point of contact?’ Its open to interpretation, but in my view, it’s a dribble move and then he chips it through.

Again, referee’s won’t even call out a referee even when something is horribly wrong - look at the ‘good call lads’ incident from Liverpool v Spurs.

With this “first point of contact” thing is there an opportunity for a player to scoop it up on his foot, everyone bolt forward and then flick it over to them? The defence would likely try and hold their line but it would already have been ‘set’ in the eyes of VAR.

Love to see someone try it as VAR would be falling over themselves.

Mucca Mad Boys

With this “first point of contact” thing is there an opportunity for a player to scoop it up on his foot, everyone bolt forward and then flick it over to them? The defence would likely try and hold their line but it would already have been ‘set’ in the eyes of VAR.

Love to see someone try it as VAR would be falling over themselves.
Exactly, I’m sure ‘first point of contact’ was in the context of playing the ball. That’s at least how it used to be interpreted.

You’re right, that scenario you highlight would be ‘onside’ in theory. In practice, you couldn’t see them ruling it onside.

Skyblue Bangkok

Exactly, I’m sure ‘first point of contact’ was in the context of playing the ball. That’s at least how it used to be interpreted.

You’re right, that scenario you highlight would be ‘onside’ in theory. In practice, you couldn’t see them ruling it onside.
Surely there should be a margin of error allowance too.

David O'Day

the worst ones are on live games where they won't give their opinion until VAR has come through so they never say the officials got it wrong
the bt games that had peter walton was agreeing with everything the ref did were bad

Shannerz

Again, referee’s won’t even call out a referee even when something is horribly wrong
In this instance, though, it *was* the correct decision based on the instruction they are given.

That's the issue, that they are told to give an objective decision on something that cannot be determined with absolute certainty, not when the margins are so fine.

If you must have it, what you do is to use it to back up an on-field decision. So this example; taking into account there is a margin of error, can you say with 100% accuracy if on or offside? No, you can't, so if it's given on the pitch, it stands, if it was flagged, it doesn't. There's too much doubt to overturn it either way.

It's not even bad officiating, it's bad administration.

Bin it off completely anyway, as it takes away spontaneity, and lessens the game as a spectacle.

SBAndy

In this instance, though, it *was* the correct decision based on the instruction they are given.

That's the issue, that they are told to give an objective decision on something that cannot be determined with absolute certainty, not when the margins are so fine.

If you must have it, what you do is to use it to back up an on-field decision. So this example; taking into account there is a margin of error, can you say with 100% accuracy if on or offside? No, you can't, so if it's given on the pitch, it stands, if it was flagged, it doesn't. There's too much doubt to overturn it either way.

It's not even bad officiating, it's bad administration.

Bin it off completely anyway, as it takes away spontaneity, and lessens the game as a spectacle.

Create an “umpires call” margin of error and that’ll fix a lot. Just sticks with the on field decision.

Frostie

As per my post on another thread;
Keith Hackett on CWR had just said that the current system is extremely flawed and is not fit/cannot accurately judge these types of decisions - worth a listen if you can get it!

Whilst I agree with that statement I generally wouldn't listen to anything Hackett says tbf. Clown with an axe to grind.

Shannerz

I hope the silence form ccfc and the owner is that they are respectfully challenging the call
But what good will that do?

You can't tell if it was the right call or not, that's the point, and the officials were just going off the directives they'd been given.

The best to be hoped for is that this will be a catalyst for a change of directive; i.e., that such marginal calls remain as on-field decisions.

Gynnsthetonic

Still find it strange that nothing from the club as yet, about the fans, players the desicion, absolute stone wall silence

Sky Blue Pete

But what good will that do?

You can't tell if it was the right call or not, that's the point, and the officials were just going off the directives they'd been given.

The best to be hoped for is that this will be a catalyst for a change of directive; i.e., that such marginal calls remain as on-field decisions.
Exactly that
I think they’ve used the wrong frame as the law isn’t clear
I don’t know £1m or something would be nice

Gynnsthetonic

Exactly that
I think they’ve used the wrong frame as the law isn’t clear
I don’t know £1m or something would be nice
If that were to happen I'd want it on BBC ITN main news, every country to know we were wrongly denied a place, UEFA to make a stand, we should be offered a europa sheild spot, people should boycott this years final, I still feel pig sick as you can tell

Users who are viewing this thread