Redknapp Volunteering at Bournemouth (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Fair play to him , volunteering to b an advisor at the club.

Harry Redknapp has taken up an advisory role at Bournemouth. Redknapp, 65, was sacked by Tottenham in June and has returned to the club where he started his managerial career to work on a voluntary basis.

"It keeps me involved. I enjoy watching football and tomorrow, if I wasn't playing golf, I'd be sitting around," he told Sky Sports News. "As it is, I will go and watch them play Yeovil and I am looking forward to it.

"I love football. I'm a football watcher, I have loved it all my life and it is what I do.

"I will stop and watch kids playing football in the park if I'm passing. It takes me 10 minutes to get to Bournemouth's ground and it's a club that is close to me."

Bournemouth are 19th in League One, just a point outside the drop zone, the last place in which is occupied by Redknapp's former club Portsmouth.

While at Fratton Park Redknapp was assisted by Paul Groves, who is the Bournemouth manager, and he is looking forward to their reunion.

"Eddie Mitchell [the chairman] asked if I'd go along and add some experience to Paul Groves, who I think is an outstanding young manager," Redknapp added.

"I've said I can't commit or give any long-term commitment but, in the next month or two, I am only too pleased to go along. I can't play golf every day."

Groves should not worry about Redknapp muscling in, though, with the latter saying: "Paul has been ringing me asking me to go down anyway. I won't be going in the dressing room.

"This is on a voluntary basis. There is no contract or money and I'll go to games when I can, or pop along to training. I love being involved in football and it's a club I have a lot of affection for."

Mitchell, told the club's website on Friday: "I met Harry for a chat this morning and he offered to come in on a voluntary basis.

"He still has a passion for the club and for football, and he's got too much to offer for us to let him slip through our fingers. It's been in my mind for quite some time to get him involved and the timing seems to be perfect for us to tap into his knowledge."

Redknapp, who spent four years as a player at Bournemouth and returned as manager in 1983, leading them to their highest league finish in 1989, before leaving in 1992, will not have an official title but will offer his advice to the management team of Groves and Shaun Brooks.

Groves and Brooks were on Redknapp's backroom staff during his second spell in charge at Fratton Park that included winning the FA Cup in 2008.

"Paul and Shaun will still have the final say on all football matters, there's no doubt about that," Mitchell said. "They're very astute people and they're not above listening to anyone, and I'm sure they can learn from him.

"They have both worked with him before and I think there's only person who would be able to get on that coach tomorrow without Paul and Shaun rejecting the idea, and that one person is Harry."

Sounds like he just loves football if he is going it free of charge.

Fair play to him , volunteering to b an advisor at the club.

Sounds like he just loves football if he is going it free of charge.

When some people retire they take up gardening or part time work in B&Q. It seems Harry has taken up football management part time.

scroobiustom

perfect job really, if things go well its his influence if they go bad he will be in line to take the hot seat next - wheeling dealing his way through

Tad

He could afford to buy one up here. Sure he'd fit in well living in Foleshill or Longford maybe? Might be up his street........or not

Foleshill has some lovely sunsets.

Oh..wait...fires, I meant fires! :)

Users who are viewing this thread