Recruitment has been shocking (2 Viewers)

covboy9

Price goes up when clubs know you’ve got money

kitching on bench for 5million quid is beyond mental

haji wright won’t make it sadly he’s not upto it

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Ayari for me is one of the worst loans we have ever had. Out of his depth completely and most of the time looks lost. He needs to go back in January, Brighton paid 6 million for him. Never going to be worth that.

After hearing Robins at the forum earlier in the week I am surprised he’s getting so much game time. I know we’re short but he spoke so well about how he managed Vik in his early days, making sure he knew he had to prove himself in the 21’s before even getting a shot in the first half, yet he’s doing exactly the opposite with Ayari 🤷🏼‍♂️

Then again in the next breath he said he wasn’t going to rush OHare back and he needed U21 game time first, then boom, he’s there tonight 😂

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Overall a poor summer of transfers for me

Tats looks ok, but not yet lived up to the hype associated with his signing
Wright, poor
Simms, although he was our best player tonight and deserved a couple of goals, had been underwhelming
Too many defenders to mention but none excite me
GK, not had 1st team football yet but didn’t inspire me pre season. No different to Moore for me

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't think the recruitment is as big of a problem as it might look like. We do have some good players.

There is a lack of some decent central midfielders that either have end product of a bit of steel, and the goalkeeping situation is frankly bizarre, but other than that we do have what I believe to be some really good players.

I am more concerned about what we are doing with these players and how we are playing them. We have one system used almost ad infinitum and I don't think it is getting the best out of the players. You then have strange tactical decisions and team selections, with even more strange substitutions going on (which largely seem irrelevant to what is actually happening to the game). Of course, there are some questions within the recruitment, but I am more worried about the management and what they are doing with the players we have got.

nicksar

Gyokeres was going whatever, Doug King held out for the best possible offer which was apparently £25million and a large sell on fee. He did brilliant imo.
Vik decided on Sporting Lisbon last January...Doug King did a fantastic job getting the deal done to the clubs best advantage,we will pocket another decent amount in the summer when Vik moves to a top European club (Dortmund would be my guess).
On the recruitment front it's entirely down to Mark Robins, he's got his mate a job as head of recruitment but he gives the nod on every single signing.

Last edited:

SeaSeeEffCee

Would happily drive most of the shit we’ve signed back to their former clubs, with the only exceptions perhaps being Sakamoto and Latibeaudiere who haven’t done much wrong and Binks. The rest of them can all fuck off.

pusbccfc

The recruitment by way of permanent signings under Robins has been strange. He's unearthed some real gems, but there's been absolute garbage in there.

Let's look at the past 3 years.

22/23
Palmer - clearly injury prone. High wages.
Sean Maguire - wtf?

21/22
Sheaf and Gyökeres - Excellent, but were both previously on loan.
Waghorn - An awful signing considering the wages.
Simon Moore - Decent for the season.
Dinanga, Cashman and Rus - kids
Enobakhare - lol
Todd Kane - lol
Jake Bidwell - Good signing.

20/21
Hamer - Incredible find.
O'Hare - as with Gyökeres and Sheaf, previously on loan.
Da Costa - awful signing
Hilsner - awful signing
Josh Reid - awful
Taveras - never been good enough
Tyler Walker - solid in the first year, poor after.

When you break it down, we've made 4/5 good permanent signings in 3 years and besides Hamer, we already had a look at Sheaf, Gyökeres and O'Hare on loan.

It also proves how incredible the 19/20 transfer window was, especially considering the fact we'd moved to Birmingham. Godden, McFadzean, Dabo, Wilson, Rose and Allen all came in that summer on permanent deals. Just don't mention the undisclosed fees paid for Kastaneer and Jobello...

WestEndAgro

Binks - Decent
Da Silva - Got a good song
Kitching - Who fuckin knows
Lati - ok
Sakamoto - Got a shit song
Hagi - Terrible start
Simms - As a above
Ayari - Pointless
Thomas - Jury still out
New Keeper - Can't remember his name - Who fuckin knows.

Dreadful window.

shmmeee

it seemed all the focus was on selling him as we hadn’t done anything until he left and that was 2 months after the play off final. We didn’t know what our budget was. Left us 6 weeks to get cracking but everyone knew we had money that’s why the prices for simms Wright and kitchen are laughable. Ayari was a gamble replacment for Hamer and we’ve banked that money. All a mess.

Simms signed before Vik left, and we were negotiating with Wright before last season finished.

DrPoolittle

But loans are gambles, Binks looks okay, Ayari not so at the moment, I agree with trying to get loans in January but they wouldn’t be cheap and still a gamble.
Villa loaned in Abrahams whose goals won them promotion and look at them now, his wages though were very high, the gamble worked for them.
We did sort of okay last season with an entire defence made up of loan players

DrPoolittle

When we received 30+?

If we want to progress then we need to spend. Could be on playing staff, support staff or facilities but money in a bank account somewhere is not helping us at all.
We haven’t received £30 million.

Most of that is being paid over 3 years to the club.

DrPoolittle

It’s genuinely not, he thinks we shouldn’t have spent the money.

But what you are saying is that we have spent the money badly, so we should spend more.

We know maths is a problem here but this is also economics, philosophy, modern history and Ancient Greek.

KersleyDigs

The defenders are OK. The three biggest issues are:
1. Palmer, Allen, O'Hare being out at the same time
2. Simms and Wright not scoring
3. Our 3-5-2 shape is not working with the players currently available

Last edited:

SBT

The recruitment by way of permanent signings under Robins has been strange. He's unearthed some real gems, but there's been absolute garbage in there.
You don’t fret about the garbage if you unearth diamonds worth £35 million at the same time. Remains to be seen whether Dean Austin is capable of the same.

skyblueeyesrevisited

After hearing Robins at the forum earlier in the week I am surprised he’s getting so much game time. I know we’re short but he spoke so well about how he managed Vik in his early days, making sure he knew he had to prove himself in the 21’s before even getting a shot in the first half, yet he’s doing exactly the opposite with Ayari 🤷🏼‍♂️

Then again in the next breath he said he wasn’t going to rush OHare back and he needed U21 game time first, then boom, he’s there tonight 😂
Well they played like an U21 team

Saddlebrains

Agree, I think Gus was not only a fantastic footballer for us, his presence in the dressing room was monumental to morale

What helped was Vik and Gus dragged some of the players up to a high level with them, mentally and physically

Sheaf was able to concentrate on the ball winning and building the play, because he knew Gus would create.

Allen knew He had Gus Helping him link, and Vik to get on the end, could play with more freedom and energy.

Eccles could learn his trade next to Sheaf and Hamer.

Godden knew if he wasn't scoring, Vik was, and he adapted his game to take men away from Vik.

The defence knew that as long as they did their job and kept a clean sheet, or leaked the odd goal, those in front of them had the talent to get 2 or 3. Now they know they concede we probably lose, affects mentality

Absolutely none of that rings true anymore and we have lost so much more than 2 quality players. That kind of morale and belief in your teammates seems to have completely gone and that's not something you can coach in or replace in a transfer window

junglej13

I looked to place a first goalscorer bet on Sat at Bristol with Sky Bet after the side had been announced. Simms and Godden were 5/1. The next name on the list was 18/1. The bookies couldn't even make a case for any of our other positions scoring.

Deity

DaSilva - Free - alright
Latibeaudiere- free- decent
Binks - Loan - decent

Ayari - Loan - Shit
Simms - 3.5m - Double shit
Wright - 7.7m - Triple shit
Van Ewjik- 4m - player there, think he'll be good
Tats - 1.2m - good player but MR dont rate him
Collins - 500k - who knows?
Thomas - 2m - wank
Kitching -4m - pointless

So in summary we've spunked loads of money on shit players
I think it’s still too early to judge.

We had similar comments when we first signed Vik, Sheaf and even Hamer ….

it’s fair to say that they haven’t started as well as we all hoped but too early to assess whether they will make good players or not. After all it’s not just the new players that are struggling … Godden is poor currently , Fadz is not a patch on last season, and Eccles looks short of form and confidence.

steve101

Unless you are premier league (and can afford multi million pound gambles), if you buy a player for millions, you need to have evidence he can play at the level. We could have paid much less if we wanted to develop players. So hope to be proven wrong but on the evidence so far, some weird signings who are not upgrades on last season.

CCFC54321

Something irritates me is Robins said on Monday that Yamamoto and Wright were struggling to settle. If we were really careful with our recruiting why did we take a chance on oversees players and not UK based players. It just increased the risk of failure and we’re seeing it certainly with Wright.

I know there’s a risk with uk based signings but homesick must be bottom of the list right?

We don’t help ourselves do we?

Users who are viewing this thread