Recommend a beer

Great_Expectations

Mar 18, 2011
Got a days AL today and meeting another two couples for drinks around Coventry. Even pre-Covid I’ve not been out in Cov for a while.

Most looking forward to trying the new Dhillons Bar in town - located where Inspire used to be. Not been overwhelmed with their beers previously, but it looks a great set up.

Kneeza

Feb 2, 2012
Over There
Got a days AL today and meeting another two couples for drinks around Coventry. Even pre-Covid I’ve not been out in Cov for a while.

Most looking forward to trying the new Dhillons Bar in town - located where Inspire used to be. Not been overwhelmed with their beers previously, but it looks a great set up.
Looking forward to trying that too.
Full match report would be appreciated ;)

Reactions: Great_Expectations

Kneeza

Feb 2, 2012
Over There
Not my usual type of tipple (by a long way) but I fancied a change, and I'm really rather enjoying this 20210508_193902.jpg

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Don't think I could drink more than one at a time. Fancied trying one, and it was all I could find at the time. What would you prefer?
The Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is just beautiful, though more chocolate than the Young's, so definitely one at a time at most.

Think there are a few others named in this thread, off the top of my head

Saltaire Triple Chocolate
Millionaire by the Wild Beer Co
Mud City Stout by Sadlers
Smores by Beartown

Great_Expectations

Mar 18, 2011
We can’t let this thread get lost....

Had a nice can tonight - Seven Bro7hers, Sabro IPA. Nice session IPA with subtle tropical and coconut notes. Manchester Brewery so FP may be familiar.

Had a nice one on draft over the weekend; Solid State by Verdant. I mentioned before I review ales for an Instagram page and all reviewers seems to rave about Verdant. It was a very nice beer as always, light, easy to drink and flavoursome - which is impressive at 6.3% - but they always come at a premium. Just under £7 for 2/3....!!

Reactions: vow

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
We can’t let this thread get lost....

Had a nice can tonight - Seven Bro7hers, Sabro IPA. Nice session IPA with subtle tropical and coconut notes. Manchester Brewery so FP may be familiar.

Had a nice one on draft over the weekend; Solid State by Verdant. I mentioned before I review ales for an Instagram page and all reviewers seems to rave about Verdant. It was a very nice beer as always, light, easy to drink and flavoursome - which is impressive at 6.3% - but they always come at a premium. Just under £7 for 2/3....!!
I've not tried that one. I enjoyed their water melon beer and most others, worth looking out for.
They've got a brewery tap near Salford Quays where i notionally work, it's a decent night as they put bands on etc.

wingy

Jul 9, 2011
Anyone doing The Holyhead tonight,followed by squire's or Chesford Grange ?
Bank holiday Sunday and all that.

Great_Expectations

Mar 18, 2011
Been over a month since we posted on here, but I recall a few posts asking about stouts. At the time I (and I think FP, maybe others too) put a list or two together, and I listed Chocolate Guerilla by Blue Monkey, which I had only ever seen once at a few festival but it was incredible.

Anyway, just walked into a pub and it was on tap!!!

And it’s as good as remembered!

Kneeza

Feb 2, 2012
Over There
I was looking for stout recommendations a while back. Not really my tipple, but I just fancied a change. I'll look out for the Guerilla.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Mar 20, 2011
I had lowenbrau on my pd machine this weekend nice drop , been recommend the goose island ipa

Great_Expectations

Mar 18, 2011
Gone a bit quiet on this thread but thought I'd add to it again with a recommended bargain beer:

Six States NE IPA, £1.59 a 500ml can in Aldi.
Away for the week and happened to pass an Aldi en route after reading this - surely a sign!

I was also intrigued by the ‘Peeling Good’ - a jaffa cake inspired can design for a chocolate and orange stout. I’ll report back once sampled!

The Cherry Kolsch also took my eye. Had it last night, was ok. Initial taste is a standard lager, with the cherry really prominent in the aftertaste, but almost as if it was separate to the taste. Strange one, but worth a try.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Away for the week and happened to pass an Aldi en route after reading this - surely a sign!

I was also intrigued by the ‘Peeling Good’ - a jaffa cake inspired can design for a chocolate and orange stout. I’ll report back once sampled!

The Cherry Kolsch also took my eye. Had it last night, was ok. Initial taste is a standard lager, with the cherry really prominent in the aftertaste, but almost as if it was separate to the taste. Strange one, but worth a try.
Yeah i had the cherry kolsch, it was OK but just a kolsch is better for me!

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
Back in the UK combining business with a family visit so sampling a few IPAs. Tonight’s is Vocation - Life & Death.
Up until a year ago I was a committed lager drinker and couldn’t stand IPAs but now they’re my favourite beer.

Reactions: vow and wingy

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Back in the UK combining business with a family visit so sampling a few IPAs. Tonight’s is Vocation - Life & Death.
Up until a year ago I was a committed lager drinker and couldn’t stand IPAs but now they’re my favourite beer.
Can't really go wrong with Vocation, cheap as well in Tesco

Reactions: Sick Boy

skybluejelly

Apr 15, 2011
rugby
Tried some of the Guinness 00 today , although not as good as draught Guinness I found it equally as good as normal tinned Guinness , most realistic non alcoholic beer I have tried

• Wow

jimmyhillsfanclub

May 31, 2012
here
My beer is now in bottles and conditioning. Should be ready to try Saturday 23rd.

40bottles and the brew kit cost me £12 to buy.
Once I complete my second brew, I’ll be quids in with the cost of equipment included.
Nice work. I'm just about to rack & fine my blackcurrant wine made from my own grown berries....looking like it will be about 11%.

I'm considering distilling it.....wifes not too keen on the idea though...

Sbarcher

Mar 23, 2011
Oxford
My wife very kindly took out a sub for Beer52. Get a monthly box with a dozen cans in from all over the world. Will keep it going for a couple of months, but too expensive to let it run.

Great_Expectations

Mar 18, 2011
Not sure if it’s area dependent, but Lidl are running a beer festival from yesterday for a week I think.

Went down to one tonight and selection is pretty good to be fair. Obviously no top level breweries, but some good ones and an interesting range of beers too. I picked up about 10 different ones.

Currently enjoying a Peach and Raspberry Pale by Drygate Brewery, nice enough albeit I’d like more flavour.

Reactions: Rich

Sky_Blue_Daz

Mar 20, 2011
Got a keg of Becks on at the minute Not a bad drop

Last edited: