Recent discovery. (1 Viewer)

Greggs

The obsession with things you can't control is unhealthy. Feeling so much happier since I've detached myself from this bullshit. Life is beautiful, apart from imminent WW3 - global warming and the crumbling of society, football isn't actually the cure. It's a bullshit rich man's game that doesn't earn our full attention anymore.
Football used to be life, but money had ruined it, same as everything else.

Otis

The obsession with things you can't control is unhealthy. Feeling so much happier since I've detached myself from this bullshit. Life is beautiful, apart from imminent WW3 - global warming and the crumbling of society, football isn't actually the cure. It's a bullshit rich man's game that doesn't earn our full attention anymore.
Yup. Bad and annoying posts on SM forums ruin everything too. 🤪

Covkid1968#

Football at times has taken over my life and driven my moods and behaviour depending on the result. But I’m a lot more detached these days… although I’ve never managed to detach completely. It ruins stuff for about an hour after the game…but no more than that. In that hour and depending on the performance I’ve usually gone around shouting at inanimate objects, maybe I’ve thrown or kicked stuff lying around. Kids and wife know to not mention it…. And then it passes and life returns to normal.. I do still avoid any thing Footie related like the internet, TV this forum etc for 48 hours to pretend it hasn’t actually happened.

Hobo

Most sensible thing I have ever seen you post.

the rumpo kid

Glad you've detached you're self from it !😆

Tommo1993

It can get on my nerves maybe for an hour after the game, at worst.

But life is way too short to give that much of a shit about football. Tbh I see it mostly in the older generation, which is sad as they’ve clearly not learned to let it go.

Otis

Football at times has taken over my life and driven my moods and behaviour depending on the result. But I’m a lot more detached these days… although I’ve never managed to detach completely. It ruins stuff for about an hour after the game…but no more than that. In that hour and depending on the performance I’ve usually gone around shouting at inanimate objects, maybe I’ve thrown or kicked stuff lying around. Kids and wife know to not mention it…. And then it passes and life returns to normal.. I do still avoid any thing Footie related like the internet, TV this forum etc for 48 hours to pretend it hasn’t actually happened.
Used to mean everything to me and if the City lost it would always taint my entire weekend somewhat.

Now I just realise that there is so much else going on in my life to let it get me down too much. I wasn't even that down after the playoff final. Just accepted it and it's not like we really deserved anything from the game anyway was it.

Only gets me down now if it's a bad weekend sports wise all round. So, City losing, England losing (football, cricket, rugby) and Washington losing too in the NFL.

If everyone loses, I di then walk round with a little black rain cloud over my head for a bit

Tommo1993

Used to mean everything to me and if the City lost it would always taint my entire weekend somewhat.

Now I just realise that there is so much else going on in my life to let it get me down too much. I wasn't even that down after the playoff final. Just accepted it and it's not like we really deserved anything from the game anyway was it.

Only gets me down now if it's a bad weekend sports wise all round. So, City losing, England losing (football, cricket, rugby) and Washington losing too in the NFL. If everyone loses, I walk round with a little black rain cloud over my head for a bit

Same. Was quiet and gutted on the way home. Watched the highlights as soon as they were on the Sky Sports App, but that was it, it was just another day.

chiefdave

Exactly the same mate. Not sure at what point it all changed but something just switched and I went from being someone whose weekend, or even week, was ruined by a bad result to pretty much being over it by the time I get back to the car

Stopped listening to the phone in and stopped spending so much time in match threads, both of those things have definitely helped as they are overwhelmed with negativity. In fact after a defeat I swerve the football side of the forum completely as it normally explodes into 101 posts of we are 100% certainties for relegation etc

As you say you reach a point where there's so much other shit to deal with in your life losing a football match moves way down the list

Otis

Exactly the same mate. Not sure at what point it all changed but something just switched and I went from being someone whose weekend, or even week, was ruined by a bad result to pretty much being over it by the time I get back to the car

Stopped listening to the phone in and stopped spending so much time in match threads, both of those things have definitely helped as they are overwhelmed with negativity. In fact after a defeat I swerve the football side of the forum completely as it normally explodes into 101 posts of we are 100% certainties for relegation etc

As you say you reach a point where there's so much other shit to deal with in your life losing a football match moves way down the list
Exactly. And the match threads on here can be incredibly depressing and mind-numbing at times too.

I half expect a number of posters' heads to explode half the time.

Macca1987

Same as others, 2 and a half hour journey back on the coach took all the black mood away, woke up Sunday with it not on my mind at all. I tend to stay away form the forum until Monday morning to get everything in perspective before replying to anything

curly_tom

I am similar, I used to really let it ruin my eveing but now it's half an hour or so and I try to forget it. It's football. Like a couple of other have said though, one method is to forget that football exists for a few days, I never read match threads after the game if we lose or any other footbll media. I usually re-emerge by about Monday/Tuesday sometimes later. When we win however, I'll looking at everything. It's all a bit pathetic really

Otis

I am similar, I used to really let it ruin my eveing but now it's half an hour or so and I try to forget it. It's football. Like a couple of other have said though, one method is to forget that football exists for a few days, I never read match threads after the game if we lose or any other footbll media. I usually re-emerge by about Monday/Tuesday sometimes later. When we win however, I'll looking at everything. It's all a bit pathetic really
Well yup, when we lose badly, some on here will ask where all the positive posters have disappeared to, but it can get very downbeat and woe is me and toxic on here after a defeat and I am the same as many others and just keep off the match threads and related ones for a day or two.

Just think that sometimes when we lose, it's not healthy to wallow in, or get angry about a defeat.

I always try and be positive these days, as it's a crappy world out there sometimes and life is so very short.

The good thing about football, is that there is always a chance the following week to put things right.

Life can be not like that at all.

Anyway, used to get very upset after every City loss, but I just kind of shrug them off these days and find enjoyment in something else.

Cov kid 55

Well I’m not somebody that kicks the dog, but it does spoil my evening. Particularly when I contrast it with how good I feel when we’ve won. I think it’s easy to say ‘I don’t bother any more’, for me, it’s harder to achieve….

Terry_dactyl

Like others have said I tend to ‘sulk’ for a short while after games but generally I’m pretty good nowadays. Philosophical about it. However, when we win I really fucking love it and it can make me feel great for much longer!
I think this is the right way round.

Greggs

Nice one. It's good to not have debts. Now you can donate your unwanted season ticket to the season ticket fund.
Do you want it? Would be better than listening on the radio.

JulianDarbyFTW

For me, as I got older and experienced more of the sad realities of life, I realised that football isn't really that important. It's a release valve of sorts, and whether that's the joy and excitement of a win, or a good old moan after a defeat almost doesn't matter. What does matter is that for 90 minutes+ I'm not thinking about work, I'm not thinking about family matters, I'm not thinking about impending nuclear war and where I'm going to hide with my rations when the siren goes off to avoid the radioactive mutant zombies ,I'm thinking about being with my 'tribe' of fellow fans and having a good time.

Tile Hill Phil

For me, as I got older and experienced more of the sad realities of life, I realised that football isn't really that important. It's a release valve of sorts, and whether that's the joy and excitement of a win, or a good old moan after a defeat almost doesn't matter. What does matter is that for 90 minutes+ I'm not thinking about work, I'm not thinking about family matters, I'm not thinking about impending nuclear war and where I'm going to hide with my rations when the siren goes off to avoid the radioactive mutant zombies ,I'm thinking about being with my 'tribe' of fellow fans and having a good time.
Yeah I think it must be an age thing. In my teens and twenties it would make or break my weekend. Now I’m a lot older I tend to shrug the disappointment off after a few hours. Losing that play off final still pisses me off though as I think it was a massive opportunity lost,and don’t think we’ll get that chance again for a long time. Hope they prove me wrong.

Hobo

I think realizing money was the key to a clubs success and the system protected the clubs with money, changed it for me.

Knowing this I was still flabbergasted at the weekend stat that Liverpool have spent more on one player than Luton's entire transfer purchases since 1992.

Just enjoy football for what it is a sport and a bit of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread