Reality check (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

I don't understand this obsession with the 'negative' viewpoint? So far this season we have shown we can more than compete and have built a side, strengthened in areas that is a good team. of course we will have lapses just as Fulham did when they visited us recently. But overall we have now got vital cover in areas that are crucial and in the striker department certainly a fight for places. That bodes well. The spirit is high, I have not seen a better attacking wing back than Darbo, a couple of Chelsea loanees who are improving with each game, and a midfield that we can change around depending on opposition. It bodes well. We can carry an injured player with his replacement. We have the likes of Jodi Jones in the wings, and it's a long season. No I think we should look to stay top six now, and that would be my expectoration having had such a positive start. I'd be disappointed as would these players now, if we dropped down to mid table.

robbiekeane

As weird as others not having the perspective that we are way ahead of where we thought we’d be?
Who doesn't have that perspective? Pretty sure everyone accepts that.

It still doesnt mean that people won't be pissed off when we throw a win away or play poorly. It is extremely odd

oscillatewildly

Disagree with that. Yes we’re in a higher league now, but the comparative home form is better now than that lg1 season and it just took one result for it all to click into place away from home which I believe can be the same this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I much prefer your prediction of how it may pan out and I will not hesitate to acknowledge that should it happen.
But I stress - That's my prediction not my hope.

usskyblue

Jesus

There’s a running theme in this forum that some people can’t see, some choose not to..and some recognize but prefer to use it to be a WUM. It’s a lack of common ground or a place in the middle where opinions can intersect. People choose extremes, to a point that anyone not joining one side or another is attacked. It’s fucking ridiculous that objectivity is a problem for some people.

You wouldn’t be a supporter if you weren’t disappointed on Wednesday night. But It’s one thing to be disappointed, it’s another to be a completeprick and offload on the players and manager. After the game @Sky Blue Pete was posting that we’re 4th. Some said that’s got nothing to do with it. But it fucking does. Because this team and manager have got us to 4th place and everyone’s fucking lurrrved the wins. We are way higher in the league than any of us thought possible. Yet, we can’t even so much as recognize or remember that when we fuck up a game. So we fucked up a game? So what? It’s not like no one else has (except Bournemouth perhaps and what’s their budget?) We saw after Luton that they can bounce back. We saw the same at Blackburn.

It’s okay to be disappointed, be a bit fucking miffed… but fuckme, this turning against the team and manager is bollox. The frothy unhinged whiff on match threads when we concede a goal is fucking embarrassing. Almost like people are losing control because they suddenly expect faultless displays, devoid of mistakes, missteps or tactical errors.

And no, it’s not about shutting down debate. It’s about understanding we’re ALL pissed off with the way we lost but having a meltdown at the team when they are massively over achieving at the moment is a bit fucking rich

oscillatewildly

Jesus

There’s a running theme in this forum that some people can’t see, some choose not to..and some recognize but prefer to use it to be a WUM. It’s a lack of common ground or a place in the middle where opinions can intersect. People choose extremes, to a point that anyone not joining one side or another is attacked. It’s fucking ridiculous that objectivity is a problem for some people.

You wouldn’t be a supporter if you weren’t disappointed on Wednesday night. But It’s one thing to be disappointed, it’s another to be a completeprick and offload on the players and manager. After the game @Sky Blue Pete was posting that we’re 4th. Some said that’s got nothing to do with it. But it fucking does. Because this team and manager have got us to 4th place and everyone’s fucking lurrrved the wins. We are way higher in the league than any of us thought possible. Yet, we can’t even so much as recognize or remember that when we fuck up a game. So we fucked up a game? So what? It’s not like no one else has (except Bournemouth perhaps and what’s their budget?) We saw after Luton that they can bounce back. We saw the same at Blackburn.

It’s okay to be disappointed, be a bit fucking miffed… but fuckme, this turning against the team and manager is bollox. The frothy unhinged whiff on match threads when we concede a goal is fucking embarrassing. Almost like people are losing control because they suddenly expect faultless displays, devoid of mistakes, missteps or tactical errors.

And no, it’s not about shutting down debate. It’s about understanding we’re ALL pissed off with the way we lost but having a meltdown at the team when they are massively over achieving at the moment is a bit fucking rich
You OK, chuck?

steve cooper

Preston are a pretty good team, their recent results;
Won against Peterboro and Swansea.
Drew with Stoke, Bham, West Brom, Sheff U, Bristol C, Derby.
Lost by the odd goal to Reading, Huddersfield, and QPR.
Their only bad result was against Hull when they lost 4-1.
Too many draws, but nothing to suggest they are a team we had a right to turn them over on their own ground.

slowpoke

Both Blackburn & Preston are established championship teams both with experienced championship players only last season they were both looking for top six at times. Of course it was disappointing to only get one point from those games we know it should have been atleast two, but that in itself shows the massive strides we have made this season.
Confident we will bounce back tomorrow with a win.

Nick

Administrator
Jesus

Being 4th doesn't mean you can't discuss and be annoyed by things in the game. Like if we were bottom I'd still celebrate a goal or a win.

Of course it doesn't matter if we are 4th when discussing an individual game and incidents during it.

It's the same when people go into match threads using hindsight. Just because we win or draw a game it doesn't mean people were wrong in saying we were shit in the 15th minute.

usskyblue

Being 4th doesn't mean you can't discuss and be annoyed by things in the game. Like if we were bottom I'd still celebrate a goal or a win.

Of course it doesn't matter if we are 4th when discussing an individual game and incidents during it.

It's the same when people go into match threads using hindsight. Just because we win or draw a game it doesn't mean people were wrong in saying we were shit in the 15th minute.

You’re either spectacularly missing the point or you’re on the wind-up. Either way, you just took a bigfat highlighter and showed exactly what I’m talking about.

No one has disagreed with a discussion, or even being pissed off. The issue is that more often than not, the angry whiff directed at players and the team isn’t even in context to the game.

The hindsight argument’s a pile of shit too.
The people posting bollox are those who’ve historically chosen to (take a side, go figure) dislike a player and feel the need to have a fucking dig at every turn. So they use hindsight then cry when it gets pointed back at them.

This whole pick a side at the expense of objectivity is becoming a joke.

Nick

Administrator
You’re either spectacularly missing the point or you’re on the wind-up. Either way, you just took a bigfat highlighter and showed exactly what I’m talking about.

No one has disagreed with a discussion, or even being pissed off. The issue is that more often than not, the angry whiff directed at players and the team isn’t even in context to the game.

The hindsight argument’s a pile of shit too.
The people posting bollox are those who’ve historically chosen to (take a side, go figure) dislike a player and feel the need to have a fucking dig at every turn. So they use hindsight then cry when it gets pointed back at them.

This whole pick a side at the expense of objectivity is becoming a joke.

It pretty much is in context of the game as it's in match threads.

Just saying "we are 4th" isn't a discussion about what's just happened in the game or in any way related to dabo giving away a silly free kick.

It is putting fingers in the ears saying "we are 4th so you must not discuss anything that isn't happy clappy".

robbiekeane

Exactly this. When we were relegated from League one we still all celebrated like fuck and were full of complements after the JPT win at Wembley. If we were bottom of the league now but we had an incredible game and players played well we would call that out too.

Conversely, we are 4th in the league but if we have a diabolical game or mistakes are made, by player or manager, they are going to be called out. Its a match thread ffs it's supposed to be running commentary in the context of the game. If Kelly is playing shit he's playing shit. If it looks to be game over unless something changes then it's alright to say so.

It's fucking weird when people get all deeply offended afterwards like it's some sort of personal affront if there's every anything negative said in a game situation. Maybe pandemic has made people soft

Sky Blue Pete

Actually I’ll bite a little. Everyone says they can see this or that coming and how it happens all the time when that’s the first game we’ve lost since leading since 2nd March. I know it’s not as long as Bristol city winning a home game but we are no longer that side that’s all my point is really. Whinge away but base it in a context of the overall.

usskyblue

It pretty much is in context of the game as it's in match threads.

Just saying "we are 4th" isn't a discussion about what's just happened in the game or in any way related to dabo giving away a silly free kick.

It is putting fingers in the ears saying "we are 4th so you must not discuss anything that isn't happy clappy".

Again. You love to use the word ‘discussion’. Like some of the shit spouted on match threads is balanced opinion tennis… fuck off.

No one’s arguing that we fucked up… only that the reaction to conceding a goal is a tirade of abuse.. which isn’t a reflection of the game or a fair and balanced opinion on that player. It’s plain and simple over the top abuse.

It’s Coventry City. It’s never going to be happy clappy every game… that’s why Pete and some of the rest of us prefer to look at the big 4th placed fucking picture.

Grendel

Again. You love to use the word ‘discussion’. Like some of the shit spouted on match threads is balanced opinion tennis… fuck off.

No one’s arguing that we fucked up… only that the reaction to conceding a goal is a tirade of abuse.. which isn’t a reflection of the game or a fair and balanced opinion on that player. It’s plain and simple over the top abuse.

It’s Coventry City. It’s never going to be happy clappy every game… that’s why Pete and some of the rest of us prefer to look at the big 4th placed fucking picture.

Have you ever thought of joining a national trust forum? So much more sedate. May suit you better

Grendel

Jesus

Emotional Tripe

clint van damme

Of course not but stiff like Derby is a must win.or starting to make out we've been lucky at home are Total over reactions. I appreciate they're made in the heat of the moment but nonetheless.

It's made all the more baffling given we won a league 2 seasons ago and didn't get an away win until December.

Reactions: COV

Sky Blue Pete

Of course not but stiff like Derby is a must win.or starting to make out we've been lucky at home are Total over reactions. I appreciate they're made in the heat of the moment but nonetheless.

It's made all the more baffling given we won a league 2 seasons ago and didn't get an away win until December.
Did anyone catch the Monday show on cwr? He kept saying maybe this is our year? I kept thinking unlike the season before last or the play off win? Has he only just realised we exist now we are back playing in Coventry. I know what he means but it sort of diminishes the fact that in 2 of the last 4 seasons we’ve been promoted

clint van damme

Did anyone catch the Monday show on cwr? He kept saying maybe this is our year? I kept thinking unlike the season before last or the play off win? Has he only just realised we exist now we are back playing in Coventry. I know what he means but it sort of diminishes the fact that in 2 of the last 4 seasons we’ve been promoted

Who kept saying it Pete?

Grendel

They all did after I watched again. Think they all thought there gonna lump it in the box. Amateur in any case but not just Dabo

Dabo should have stood over the ball

Nick

Administrator

What are you arguing about then? Most of your time is just spent having digs about Grendel anyway.

Yes, conceding a goal was a reflection of the game as it was obvious. If I remember Pete was also saying we were comfortable and didn't look like conceding (I assume because we were 4th)

What the fuck have you been smoking? Get back to taxi jokes. You seem to be the one trying to argue for the sake of it.

Might have to go into hiding when you realise bright isn't going to ever play for us too.

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread