Realistic signings (2 Viewers)

Terry_dactyl

No surprise you don't remember, it was literally a handful of times at best.
If memory serves he was at Bolton then, back when they were half decent.
Had to google...5 games 0 goals. I’m impressed by your memories. Tbh I’ve seen him a few times this year and he hasn’t massively stood out. Championship quality though I guess? We should probably hope for more.

SBAndy

Did he?! Bloody hell! Must have missed that. There i am moaning about people only able to think of ex-players...

Definitely a forgettable loan spell. I recall that was the first loan move where the finances were openly spoke about - the more regularly Ward played, the lower the loan fee became. He wasn’t very good at all I didn’t think. Of course, we are 10 or so years down the line and in that time I have seen him play a grand total of 0 times, so who knows.

no_loyalty

Rhian Brewster on loan from Liverpool would be ideal, has done well at Swansea.

Terry_dactyl

Definitely a forgettable loan spell. I recall that was the first loan move where the finances were openly spoke about - the more regularly Ward played, the lower the loan fee became. He wasn’t very good at all I didn’t think. Of course, we are 10 or so years down the line and in that time I have seen him play a grand total of 0 times, so who knows.
I’ve seen him a few times. Looks ok. As someone else has mentioned he’s had sporadic appearances mostly off the bench. He seems to be one of those strikers that is neither blessed with pace or strength/height. Might be too similar to Matty Godden?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I wouldn't be surprised if his loan fee is more than any fee we pay for a player.

Although I'd preferably get rid of the loan system entirely I think it should be that there can no loan fees involved to disincentivise player hoarding. Imagine having a promising youngster who you could get millions for as an unfinished product by loaning out and then take them back when they're closer to the finished article or release if they don't make it but effectively made millions on.

If anything the loaning club should be made to pay the loaning club for giving their player league experience and developing them further in pro football rather than U23.

Terry_dactyl

Although I'd preferably get rid of the loan system entirely I think it should be that there can no loan fees involved to disincentivise player hoarding. Imagine having a promising youngster who you could get millions for as an unfinished product by loaning out and then take them back when they're closer to the finished article or release if they don't make it but effectively made millions on.

If anything the loaning club should be made to pay the loaning club for giving their player league experience and developing them further in pro football rather than U23.
That’s not an unreasonable point actually. I’d never really thought about it. Would limiting the size of squads help I wonder?

SlowerThanPlatt

We need to get the loan signings spot on because they could be the difference between going down/just staying up and finishing mid table as they are better players than we could attract in the transfer market

At the top Leeds had Ben White and Harrison who were important to their season, West Brom had Pereira and Diangana. Luton’s revival was apparently a large part down to Carter-Vickers and Bree who shored up their defence

mrtrench

I don't think you'll stop the big clubs hoarding young players when the pay off can be so large. More likely you'd only stop them lending, which harms the kids and the borrowing clubs.

cc84cov

We need to get the loan signings spot on because they could be the difference between going down/just staying up and finishing mid table as they are better players than we could attract in the transfer market

At the top Leeds had Ben White and Harrison who were important to their season, West Brom had Pereira and Diangana. Luton’s revival was apparently a large part down to Carter-Vickers and Bree who shored up their defence
Agree with this

Users who are viewing this thread