Real belief in this squad ... (1 Viewer)

rob9872

The relegated team was poor, not only in personnel, but guidance throughout and togetherness. Robins arrived late when we were doomed, we won the Checkatrade, but going down with the changes he then made galvanised the team spirit that got us over the line last year, but without McNulty's goals we were a more workman-like side.

I'm genuinely excited about this squad now and we look to have options deeper than the first XI which is encouraging. The team reminds me a little of the Mowbray pre-Christmas side 3 seasons back with Armstrong, Murphy, Kent etc and when we get JJ back, I honestly believe we have the top 6 in us this season.

Sure a couple of results have changed the whole outlook, particularly against Barnsley who I expect to be right up there, but I think this is more backbone to us this time whilst still exciting with pace going forward. We need the crowds to return and getting behind them will help. I hope also the pitch stays in good condition and when heavier through the winter, particularly after Wasps have used it, I hope we don't suffer.

Anyone else feel the same or do I have my Sky Blue blinkers on again after a win?

clint van damme

The relegated team was poor, not only in personnel, but guidance throughout and togetherness. Robins arrived late when we were doomed, we won the Checkatrade, but going down with the changes he then made galvanised the team spirit that got us over the line last year, but without McNulty's goals we were a more workman-like side.

I'm genuinely excited about this squad now and we look to have options deeper than the first XI which is encouraging. The team reminds me a little of the Mowbray pre-Christmas side 3 seasons back with Armstrong, Murphy, Kent etc and when we get JJ back, I honestly believe we have the top 6 in us this season.

Sure a couple of results have changed the whole outlook, particularly against Barnsley who I expect to be right up there, but I think this is more backbone to us this time whilst still exciting with pace going forward. We need the crowds to return and getting behind them will help. I hope also the pitch stays in good condition and when heavier through the winter, particularly after Wasps have used it, I hope we don't suffer.

Anyone else feel the same or do I have my Sky Blue blinkers on again after a win?

I'm confident of a at least a mid table finish and I'd have took that at the start of the season.

JulianDarbyFTW

I'm confident of a at least a mid table finish and I'd have took that at the start of the season.

Yeah, see, I agree with you, but I don't (what a terrible sentence that was). I agree that mid-table is where we should be looking, but the noise from the club in the summer was about pushing for promotion again. That makes it really hard to judge what success looks like this time around.

Adge

Take the blinkers off. A reasonable mid table finish will be good progress this season. Anything other than that is a bonus.

Mucca Mad Boys

In order for this team to really compete, we need a few more experienced heads in there. Right now, it’s Doyle leading a team kids, if we’re being harsh.

However, a lot of these kids are really talented and the future bodes well if we can keep ahold of them. I believe that a few of the players we have now could do a job with us if we were to get promoted to the Championship in the next 2-3 season.

This team should aim as high as possible and Robins’ Top 6 target is probably our ceiling right now.

lifeskyblue

We are improving. We need greater consistency and an ability to put in a good performance each half (at the moment we seem to play much better in one or the other). I have been impressed by burge and the central defence. Full backs improving. I’m a little concerned in midfield that Doyle may be over used. Baylis continues to show that he will one day play at a higher level. Up front I think Chaplin will bring out the best in those around him...so cautiously optimistic.
I thought mid table at the start of the season would be good...I’m beginning to think we might just scrape 6th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Agreed. I think expectations were a bit too high coming into this season, we were always going to have a come down after the euphoria of the Play Off Campaign and winning at Wembley. I would be happy with a mid table finish or consolidation this year and start to push next season.

We have no god given right to get promoted from League 2 and fly straight through this division. We were here for 5/6 seasons before and found it very hard to get out of. Even with the likes of Wilson, Clarke, Maddison, Armstrong, Fleck, Murphy and McGoldrick, over the years, the only way out of League 1 we found was by being relegated, so what made the Facebook brigade think we would piss through it this season?

Looking back like the original poster says, Robins came in too late the last time we were in League 1 (after the infamous Slade had worked his magic) but even then he started to turn us around. Two trips to Wembley in two years and a first Top 6 Finish in 47 years, he's done well. Robins win ratio must be one of the best we have had.

Johnnythespider

Talking about the pitch, a couple of players lost their footing on saturday and wasps have only played one game on it.
I'm already concerned about it

Sick Boy

Agreed. I think expectations were a bit too high coming into this season, we were always going to have a come down after the euphoria of the Play Off Campaign and winning at Wembley. I would be happy with a mid table finish or consolidation this year and start to push next season.

We have no god given right to get promoted from League 2 and fly straight through this division. We were here for 5/6 seasons before and found it very hard to get out of. Even with the likes of Wilson, Clarke, Maddison, Armstrong, Fleck, Murphy and McGoldrick, over the years, the only way out of League 1 we found was by being relegated, so what made the Facebook brigade think we would piss through it this season?

Looking back like the original poster says, Robins came in too late the last time we were in League 1 (after the infamous Slade had worked his magic) but even then he started to turn us around. Two trips to Wembley in two years and a first Top 6 Finish in 47 years, he's done well. Robins win ratio must be one of the best we have had.

I'd guess that over the two spells it is around 45%

covcity4life

a friend told me i was being unreasonable to think we could get baqck2back promotion and lately i started to doubt myself

but i should know that COVCITY4LIFE IS ALWAYS RIGHT

doesnt mean we will get promoted but we have a chance. especially fact our subs bench is stacked these days

Malaka

I'm with OP 100%. There is little to difference in League 1 and 2. The next step will be the challenging one (if we get up). I expect to be challenging for automatic or play offs. We have some big games coming up. a chance to make a statement

Mucca Mad Boys

MR's win % is 51% in his first stint, then 46.3% in the second with 80 games played.

Yet people seem to like to cast their doubts on Robins. Right now, I do not think there is a manager who get more out of the club than Robins. The board seem to back him to hilt and after promotion, his position amongst the players ought to be v strong too. He’s bought most of them in and he has a strong assistant manager and captain.

Despite our shaky start, I think we’ll have a good season. I’d love a good cup run, getting Villa at home or away, and as Keegan put it ‘I will love it if we beat them’.

Sky Blue Harry H

If the fans and team stick together it can be a powerful combination. I have a slight concern (based on nothing but gut feeling) that we may never see JJ as he was before (and I really hope I am wrong), so I am pleased that we have the likes of Allissani in the wings, whilst JJ hopefully recovers. Considering his absence, and the fact that Andreu and Ogogo haven't yet got up to speed, it is a really encouraging start. Also - yay, for the return of Kelly (who had a fine few minutes towards the end of Saturday's game).

covcity4life

Yet people seem to like to cast their doubts on Robins. Right now, I do not think there is a manager who get more out of the club than Robins. The board seem to back him to hilt and after promotion, his position amongst the players ought to be v strong too. He’s bought most of them in and he has a strong assistant manager and captain.

Despite our shaky start, I think we’ll have a good season. I’d love a good cup run, getting Villa at home or away, and as Keegan put it ‘I will love it if we beat them’.

During bad start i was frustrated, somethigns robins does i dont always agree with but his record at ccfc is brillaint so i never wanted his head. it would take 4-5 months of a bad run to make me want to see a new amanger

hopefully that never happens and he gets us to the championship

begs the question that if he did would sisu restart operation premiership under his leadership?

skyblueinBaku

During bad start i was frustrated, somethigns robins does i dont always agree with but his record at ccfc is brillaint so i never wanted his head. it would take 4-5 months of a bad run to make me want to see a new amanger

begs the question that if he did would sisu restart operation premiership under his leadership?
Promotion to the Championship would be really great, but would necessitate Sisu changing their outlook. Remember that Fisher said that the business model wouldn't work in the Championship. What would our owners do?

Covstu

It’s a growing squad but I know what you mean. My concern at the start of the season was that we brought too many players and started to replace the team who got us up. I think whilst optimistic,it’s only one win. We get points at Bristol and Sunderland then I would agree

Sky Blue Harry H

It’s a growing squad but I know what you mean. My concern at the start of the season was that we brought too many players and started to replace the team who got us up. I think whilst optimistic,it’s only one win. We get points at Bristol and Sunderland then I would agree

Might have liked your post, but as you've acquired the magic 1987, I think you should ask Nick to freeze your 'like' count!

Astute

Was reading the Sunderland forum. They watched our game against Oxford. They are wondering how they got outplayed by Oxford and then they were so poor against us. Then we beat the team above them. A team that has been scoring for fun. They were looking forward to beating us before them games. Now quite a few of them are getting a bit worried.

I see that as a complement from the side who are favourites to win the division.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

So Robins win ratio overall is 48.6% with us, which is very good. IMO Robins is the only man for the job. The Coventry City Manager Job has proved to be an absolute graveyard for managers. Since we got relegated from the Premier League, how many managers have we seen totally fail? Something about Robins and CCFC seems to click perfectly and even SISU have backed him - which is a rarity. In my lifetime, he's the first manager I've had absolute faith in and the only one to deliver any success.

I'm convinced Chaplin will come good and start scoring and we still haven't seen the best of some of our new signings like Agogo or Brown yet. The team will hopefully start to gel a lot more over the upcoming months and I think Robins deserves a lot of support after getting us back to League 1.... Let's not forget, when he walked back in the building Mowbray/Venus/Slade/Fisher had left the club on the floor and left us with Callum Reilly and Kevin Foley in Centre Midfield.

Mucca Mad Boys

So Robins win ratio overall is 48.6% with us, which is very good. IMO Robins is the only man for the job. The Coventry City Manager Job has proved to be an absolute graveyard for managers. Since we got relegated from the Premier League, how many managers have we seen totally fail? Something about Robins and CCFC seems to click perfectly and even SISU have backed him - which is a rarity. In my lifetime, he's the first manager I've had absolute faith in and the only one to deliver any success.

I'm convinced Chaplin will come good and start scoring and we still haven't seen the best of some of our new signings like Agogo or Brown yet. The team will hopefully start to gel a lot more over the upcoming months and I think Robins deserves a lot of support after getting us back to League 1.... Let's not forget, when he walked back in the building Mowbray/Venus/Slade/Fisher had left the club on the floor and left us with Callum Reilly and Kevin Foley in Centre Midfield.

No matter bad it got this season, I always felt if Robins could’ve almost turned around our terrible season under Mowbray/Venus/Slade, I have absolute certainty he’d do better with this lot.

NortonSkyBlue

Two weeks ago it seemed that some were prepared to slash their wrists, two wins on and now we are genuinely excited.
I think some balance is needed on here.

rob9872

Two weeks ago it seemed that some were prepared to slash their wrists, two wins on and now we are genuinely excited.
I think some balance is needed on here.
If it was the same people I'd agree but I've always believed just tried to temper my beliefs previously.

Esoterica

I think the next 3 games will give us a realistic overview of where we are and are very important games in the context of the season.
We could fail to secure the win we ought to get at Bristol R, lose to Sunderland and Portsmouth at home and end up hovering above the bottom 4 again. Crowds plummet, atmosphere toxic after a couple of home spankings by the 2 biggest teams in the league.
Alternatively, 7 points from 9, caught up with the play offs pack, Jodi Jones with a sub appearance, Conor Chaplin scoring from open play in consecutive matches and celebrating in front of Kenny Jackett and the bandwagon will be truly rolling.

Irish Sky Blue

If you know you have a good manager shouldn’t you be prepared to put up with the inevitable downturn in form that happens now and then?

covcity4life

If you know you have a good manager shouldn’t you be prepared to put up with the inevitable downturn in form that happens now and then?
sure. 4-5 months of a bad run would be more than just a downturn in form though? i mean thats like 20-30 games in league and cup .

CCFC88

I think the next 3 games will give us a realistic overview of where we are and are very important games in the context of the season.
We could fail to secure the win we ought to get at Bristol R, lose to Sunderland and Portsmouth at home and end up hovering above the bottom 4 again. Crowds plummet, atmosphere toxic after a couple of home spankings by the 2 biggest teams in the league.
Alternatively, 7 points from 9, caught up with the play offs pack, Jodi Jones with a sub appearance, Conor Chaplin scoring from open play in consecutive matches and celebrating in front of Kenny Jackett and the bandwagon will be truly rolling.
Can Chaplin play v Pompey? He's on loan till Jan isn't he so is there a clause not to play v parent club?

Totally agree feel the same

jimmy the gonna

back to wrist slashing now
This league is one where if you are 10% off your best you could get beat by anyone, it’s a war, and you will win the odd battle lose the odd one, the facts are that there isn’t going to be a really classy team that will blow everyone away... all we can do as fans is congratulate the good times and try to pick them up after days like yesterday, it happens! Could have gone one way or the other! I have no problem with positive stuff on he’re no matter how stupid it may sound! Keep the faith! Sky blue army!

Users who are viewing this thread