Match Thread Reading (1 Viewer)

Gibbo

10 Thoughts from the Sofa

1. If Marosi had conceded our 2nd or 3rd we would be pretty miffed. Especially the third. We relied on poor goalkkeping aginst QPR as well
2. When Sheaf plays well the team plays well - early Swansea and yesterday. Get off his back. It's not his fault he is not Walsh.
3. Our goal difference is second worst after Wycombe, in a league where 16th is the first team to be negative. Goal diff is often the best long term indicator.
4. All those bookings....they had none.
5. 3-5-2 looks the ticket, but where do you play O'Hare? Who do you drop, if anyone? Shipley, Sheaf and Hamer looks a good mix of skills
6. Max-lovers....he missed a sitter. But his reaction was brilliant, not anguish, just get on with the game.
7. Dabo v McCallum - tough call, and to plan in advance on substituting part way through the game is just chickening out of a tough decsion. If Dabo returns to full fitness and form, what do you do with MaCallum (and Giles)? I have never been able to square that one.
8. For all the doubts about Godden, he does score.
9. But I'm not sure he or anyone in the team except possibly O'Hare has the ability to score goals like their first. He just muscled his way through.
10. Finding Hamer, poor discipline and all, could be the difference between relegation and staying up. Really well taken goal.

larry_david

Dabo vs mccallum will soon become mccallum vs Giles.

Dabo when fit is key. He's not fit and he's not going to be for a while but he showed promising signs yesterday and Sam is doing a great job. I'm glad he's back, I think I want him back permanently

Liquid Gold

I think most of our yellows were probably justified it was just Reading got away with similar fouls. Red had no consistency.

Kicking the ball away is one that annoys me, happens every game at every level and is never a yellow, which it should be, same as foul throws never being called back and you see them 3/4 times a game.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

I thought hyam was lucky. The ball smash was probably a yellow but later on it just went out of play and he absolutely booted it away. I was certain tthat would have been another yellow. I love dom, I'm not having a go but there's a line between streetwise and blatantly doing stuff. Although he got away with it so who knows.

BTW loved seeing MR do the sorta 'get in' fist pump. I think he knew we had that game and confidence wise we needed that win.
I said the same about Hyam when he did that last night, if he wasn’t on a yellow the ref would have booked him but probably didn’t want the backlash for sending someone off for something like that.

I loved seeing him laugh after the ‘ball smash’ though.

Happy_Martian

Browsing some of the comments on the Reading forum, they all seem to agree the Ref had a good game. I can see their perspective. If the Ref had been booking their players for committing similar fouls on us and letting us get away with it, I'd say he had a good game too. We're finding out that officiating at this level takes into account the more physical nature of the game. But regardless of your strength and build, running through a player or barging them out of the way is a freekick, whoever commits the offence.

Mucca Mad Boys

10 Thoughts from the Sofa

1. If Marosi had conceded our 2nd or 3rd we would be pretty miffed. Especially the third. We relied on poor goalkkeping aginst QPR as well
2. When Sheaf plays well the team plays well - early Swansea and yesterday. Get off his back. It's not his fault he is not Walsh.
3. Our goal difference is second worst after Wycombe, in a league where 16th is the first team to be negative. Goal diff is often the best long term indicator.
4. All those bookings....they had none.
5. 3-5-2 looks the ticket, but where do you play O'Hare? Who do you drop, if anyone? Shipley, Sheaf and Hamer looks a good mix of skills
6. Max-lovers....he missed a sitter. But his reaction was brilliant, not anguish, just get on with the game.
7. Dabo v McCallum - tough call, and to plan in advance on substituting part way through the game is just chickening out of a tough decsion. If Dabo returns to full fitness and form, what do you do with MaCallum (and Giles)? I have never been able to square that one.
8. For all the doubts about Godden, he does score.
9. But I'm not sure he or anyone in the team except possibly O'Hare has the ability to score goals like their first. He just muscled his way through.
10. Finding Hamer, poor discipline and all, could be the difference between relegation and staying up. Really well taken goal.

I agree.

COH looked good in that midfield 3 when he came on, on top of his technicality, he does have the work rate and bravery to make the CM role work. Especially since Shipley was operating as an AM at certain points last night. Shipley looks better playing as a CM in a three than when he played deeper in the 3-4-2-1. Walker and Godden upfront is a better combination than with Biamou in my view. To the latter's credit, he did a decent job yesterday.

As MR has eluded to lack of fitness, we'll be playing catch up (hopefully not for too much longer) and there'll be plenty of rotating this season.

Johhny Blue

I think most of our yellows were probably justified it was just Reading got away with similar fouls. Red had no consistency.

Kicking the ball away is one that annoys me, happens every game at every level and is never a yellow, which it should be, same as foul throws never being called back and you see them 3/4 times a game.
3 or 4 foul throws a game? Are you Kidding? There's hardly a fair throw in most game sand never one taken from where the ball went out.

Terry Gibson's perm

I wish I had backed up my confidence with a bigger bet I only had a couple of quid at 6/4 on stoke. I think they may end up down towards the bottom at the end of the season

Users who are viewing this thread