Ray Ranson (1 Viewer)

rob9872

I thought he might be dead

Liquid Gold

Thought @Liquid Gold lived in Bristol?

Oh well, furlough is sending people to extreme lengths I guess.

giphy.gif

Gibbo

Sorry that should say 'I thought it was the other way round, he sold them a pup'

The Philosopher

SISU didn’t understand the Bosman ruling.

Whether or not RR explained it to them clearly / honestly and accurately we will never know.

SISU invested in players and placed their purchase value on their “balance sheet” (if you were).

So. If they spent 1m on a player, they didn’t see that as a revenue cost, just an asset purchase. They understood that some players may do well (and hence go up in value) and some may not (and go down).

What they didn’t understand was that players could move for nothing at the end of their contract.

The clearest example was that of Keiran Westwood. SISU went grey as soon as they realised that their “asset” was leaving for nothing. They tried everything to try to get him to sign and he was even dropped from the team.

After that, SISU went into panic mode, trying to either “secure” or offload their assets before they became “worthless”. Leon Best shipped out quickly, and so on.

To “secure” their assets they thought the best way was to sort out their contracts. “Contracts expert” Ken Delieu was brought in and Triumphantly secured David Bell on a long term deal.

That short time window of realisation (Realising that Westwood was going for zero) was the divergent point for Ranson and SISU and effectively stopped SISU from “investing” any further in the club.

The (guess figures) £20m “hole” in the balance sheet on behalf of their investors SISU thought they could plug for buying an asset (Ricoh) worth (guess) £25m for £5m, and putting it in their accounts as such.

The Council didn’t play ball and the rest Is history.

Anyway. It strikes me that Ranson wasn’t clear at the outset. He was also a nutter. Why sack Dowie (doing ok, we’d just paid a load of legal fees for him, and had a good, recent track record of getting Palace into the Prem) and bring in Chris F’in Coleman?

Last edited:

joemercersaces

I think he fancied him. I heard Ranson describe him as “a 6’4 handsome bastard.” He also said our difficulty would be keeping Coleman. As I understand it the difficulty was keeping Coleman off the piss in Leamington (and other activities). Ranson suggested it had been a close call between Coleman and Nigel Pearson. Coleman seems a decent enough bloke but fancies himself a bit too much. Got very lucky with Gareth Bale with Wales.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think he fancied him. I heard Ranson describe him as “a 6’4 handsome bastard.” He also said our difficulty would be keeping Coleman. As I understand it the difficulty was keeping Coleman off the piss in Leamington (and other activities). Ranson suggested it had been a close call between Coleman and Nigel Pearson. Coleman seems a decent enough bloke but fancies himself a bit too much. Got very lucky with Gareth Bale with Wales.

Hope you're not calling him a prick, he's a married man

Hobo

Wales was presented on a plate and dropped in his lap. He contributed nothing to that team.

rob9872

Gary speed had done all the hard work with Wales before Coleman took over

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Massive myth imo and and imo simply because of his issues he's portrayed as some kind of messiah. At international level there isnt much coaching or improvement as southgate has proved and it's a question of how good the players at your disposal are. Identifying the likes of Bale and Ramsey doesn't take a great deal. Not certain they were part of Speeds but era but will have enhanced any squad he built. Also had the the benefit of his mate Giggs who didnt alway always turn up for previous managers particularly in friendlies friendlies.

NorthernWisdom

Massive myth imo and and imo simply because of his issues he's portrayed as some kind of messiah. At international level there isnt much coaching or improvement as southgate has proved and it's a question of how good the players at your disposal are. Identifying the likes of Bale and Ramsey doesn't take a great deal. Not certain they were part of Speeds but era but will have enhanced any squad he built. Also had the the benefit of his mate Giggs who didnt alway always turn up for previous managers particularly in friendlies friendlies.
I agree. Tragic what happened to him, awful he felt he couldn't get help for his issues but... not much sign of him being a great coach.

It's also lazy to say you only qualify because of X player. You still have to do it, same as the top coaches still have to win the titles, even if they do have the best players to pick from. And it's not Wales are blessed with quality backup across the field.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree. Tragic what happened to him, awful he felt he couldn't get help for his issues but... not much sign of him being a great coach.

It's also lazy to say you only qualify because of X player. You still have to do it, same as the top coaches still have to win the titles, even if they do have the best players to pick from. And it's not Wales are blessed with quality backup across the field.

He only beat Andorra in qualifying because Bale scored a few free kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread