Ratings (2 Viewers)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

So you find him lazy cause of where he positions himself from goal kicks ?
What about the numerous times last night he sprinted back to cover Bidwell , was that a fluke ?
The position he puts himself in for goal kicks (never said his was lazy for them) it's not just last night but since he's had his place in the team he's done that (obviously instructions).The getting back to cover for Bidwell IMHO is because of marking space and being bypassed when they attack.
When we brake play up and go on an attack of our own you will see Simms giving it some to trying to get in the box at the other end where as he is just taking his time.I still say for me he is a player like Boothroyd who has great ability but would love to see a bit more effort.

Nick

Administrator
The position he puts himself in for goal kicks (never said his was lazy for them) it's not just last night but since he's had his place in the team he's done that (obviously instructions).The getting back to cover for Bidwell IMHO is because of marking space and being bypassed when they attack.
When we brake play up and go on an attack of our own you will see Simms giving it some to trying to get in the box at the other end where as he is just taking his time.I still say for me he is a player like Boothroyd who has great ability but would love to see a bit more effort.

I agree, when we got our goal he was stood around in our box looking lazy. Couldn't be bothered to run forward.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

The players were explicitly told not to press from the front and wait for a mistake last night.
Some one should have read Simms the script because untill the ball reached Allen and Sheff no movement apart from him was liable for us to get the ball back .I think they would have been content to play it accross the back four all night.

Robinshio

collins 6
mve 7
bidwell 6
thomas 7
Kitching 8
sheaf 6
allen 6
sakamoto 6
o hare 7
wright 7
simms 6

overall team performance 9 (better than the sum)
MR process 10 (ffs why dont we ever trust him - we are coming together again)

shmmeee

Some one should have read Simms the script because untill the ball reached Allen and Sheff no movement apart from him was liable for us to get the ball back .I think they would have been content to play it accross the back four all night.

And we’d have been content to let them. The whole point of playing across the back line is to draw players in and play past them.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

And we’d have been content to let them. The whole point of playing across the back line is to draw players in and play past them.
So you would have been content to watch them play it across their back 4 all night and not venture out .I'm sure Southampton would have been very happy with that . The postioning of Haji in no mans land that was happening anyway their attacks were starting on their right hand because they were bypassing him and Sheff and Allen were having to intercept forward passes or put in tackles(which they did very well) otherwise they would have scored more than the 1 they did.

shmmeee

So you would have been content to watch them play it across their back 4 all night and not venture out .I'm sure Southampton would have been very happy with that . The postioning of Haji in no mans land that was happening anyway their attacks were starting on their right hand because they were bypassing him and Sheff and Allen were having to intercept forward passes or put in tackles(which they did very well) otherwise they would have scored more than the 1 they did.

You think a team 4th in the league will be happy to just play keep ball in their half all game? Are you OK?

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Yes if they can get a point away at our ground a team they know are in a false position in the table they would .Win your home games and draw and your away ones.That gives you 92 points that would have took you up in all but 2 seasons since 2010.If you want to get the odd extra points do you attacking at any of the bottom 5.
If we get a draw this Saturday will you moan because we only brought back a point?

SBAndy

Yes if they can get a point away at our ground a team they know are in a false position in the table they would .Win your home games and draw and your away ones.That gives you 92 points that would have took you up in all but 2 seasons since 2010.If you want to get the odd extra points do you attacking at any of the bottom 5.
If we get a draw this Saturday will you moan because we only brought back a point?

What on earth is your point with all this?

Johhny Blue

Really surprised at some of the markings. I didn't feel Sheaf was bad at all, in fact in parts he played really well. The run and pass for Simms just before half time was brilliant.

I don't get why so many people seem so positive about Simms and critical of Wright who I thought was excellent. Van Ewijk really is quality.

Collins 7
Van Ewijk 8 motm
Bidwell 6
Thomas 6
Kitching 8
Sheaf 7
Allen 6
Sakamoto 6
O'Hare 7
Simms 5
Wright 8

Palmer 7
Eccles 7
Dasilva 6
Good point about Sheaf. He made a couple of great perfectly weighted passes but I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that 90% of his passes didn’t reach their target and often when he does this we are in full push forward mode and are left vulnerable. If he can fix this part of his game he’s a solid “9” every game

Johhny Blue

The problem is we are in protected species territory now with Sheaf, and a lot of fans are too sentimental about him to really evaluate properly.

He's had two pretty poor games on the bounce yet is coming out with some automatic 7 out of 10 scores and a variety of excuses. If Eccles had put in the same performances he would get called a league 1 player and subsequently heckled to the bench.

Realistically the whole central midfield needs an upgrade, and there are no exceptions.
Good post until the last sentence

covboy9

I think sheafs problem is he is trying to do too much ie holding role and getting forward, Allen simply doesn’t have the creativity to help him

covboy9

Still don’t think robins has worked out his best team but has gone back to his tried and tested formation which will keep us mid table but absolutely no chance of a promotion push this season

van ewijk and kitching look very very good

haji I think can improve but will he be our isak?

poor Ellis simms I’m not sure how he can improve he just has nothing about him sadly

rob9872

Good point about Sheaf. He made a couple of great perfectly weighted passes but I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that 90% of his passes didn’t reach their target and often when he does this we are in full push forward mode and are left vulnerable. If he can fix this part of his game he’s a solid “9” every game

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231214_203842_FotMob.jpg
    Screenshot_20231214_203842_FotMob.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 33

mmttww

poor Ellis simms I’m not sure how he can improve he just has nothing about him sadly

He's 22, has scored everywhere he's been incl. this league, was a lot of people on here's first choice in the summer, was picked as signing of the summer by a lot in the media, and did a good job last night. Showed strength, good movement, good hold up play, link up play and pressed as he was told to do.

Posts like yours are depressing.

Fluffsta

Simms and Wright had thier best game together since joining. Both look better than the start of season by far. I was a big Simms critic but he looks better every game. Wright looked and performed decent on the left.

Sakamoto is still a rough diamond. He will get so much better I feel.

COM looks back to his best. Smashed the crossbar after 2 goals last week. Form, yes.

Palmer looked great when he came on. Like a hot tag in the old days of WWF

Back four looked very good. Back four works. KIching and Thomas look like a proper unit at this level. Bidwell is safe(ish). Van Ewijk is gold. Ewijk grows with every minute and we have Fadz now ready to deploy as a sub.

The team is getting stronger.

Alkhen

Wright 6.5 - Better on the wing but he frustates me when he casually jogs around. Left a ball that didn't even go out in our half and also tended to dick around with the ball in our defence at times when it should have been moved up the field. Also didn't seem aware enough to give Bidwell a route option a few times. I really want him to do well and not a basher, I hope its just he's needing to find that extra gear for English football.

I agreed up to the 6.5 for wright.. I'm not sure we saw the same game?! He was full of running. He raced back to help the defence loads. His link up and hold up was much improved too.

Legia Sky Blue

Wasn't it Sheaf who gave the ball away cheaply in the lead up to their goal? I suspect if it had been Eccles instead he would have been royally roasted. Incidentally I don't want Sheaf targetted either, just pointing this out. Against Leeds I would be starting both Sheaf and Eccles.

rob9872

Wasn't it Sheaf who gave the ball away cheaply in the lead up to their goal? I suspect if it had been Eccles instead he would have been royally roasted. Incidentally I don't want Sheaf targetted either, just pointing this out. Against Leeds I would be starting both Sheaf and Eccles.
Arguably they already had it since he won it back then gave it away. I've also added his stats further up the page from Weds which weren't terrible. Not sure why Eccles is agaon used as someone vilified for the same, do people slag him off? I've not seen it.

shmmeee

He has been royally roasted, where have you been?

Legia Sky Blue

He has been royally roasted, where have you been?

From what I have read there are more people backing him, than having a go at him. Like I pointed out though, I'm not really that interested in criticising him either, just trying to make the point that Eccles in the same position would have been treated mercilessly by many of the same people defending Sheaf.

rob9872

You haven't noticed people slagging Eccles off?
Only for set pieces which are poor, but his all round game been fairly consistent all season.

Wolves_SkyBlue

He's 22, has scored everywhere he's been incl. this league, was a lot of people on here's first choice in the summer, was picked as signing of the summer by a lot in the media, and did a good job last night. Showed strength, good movement, good hold up play, link up play and pressed as he was told to do.

Posts like yours are depressing.
Agree - we have scouser at work (Everton fan) and he keeps asking me when they can have Simms back so they obviously rate him.

Frostie

Arguably they already had it since he won it back then gave it away. I've also added his stats further up the page from Weds which weren't terrible. Not sure why Eccles is agaon used as someone vilified for the same, do people slag him off? I've not seen it.
Who was it who won it for our goal?

Calista

Only for set pieces which are poor, but his all round game been fairly consistent all season.
I know, and I agree. But there are plenty on here who seem oblivious to what he does for the team, and keep calling him a League 1 player. He's always been good IMO, and is getting even better.

Users who are viewing this thread