Ratings (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

O’Hare 8?
He struggled today. Good shot against the bar though

Stats say a lot different to be fair.

His pressing and movement is his biggest attribute.

lifeskyblue

Unlike many on here I thought Allen had a good game; tirelessly covering from one side of the pitch to the other. Spectacular certainly not but vital in slowing Southampton down. Sheaf had one of those games where every other pass went astray but like Allen protected back four.
Kitching looks a steal, v solid.
Against one of the divisions better sides we held our own and though they dominated the ball both teams had good half chances to win the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LastChance

Ellis Simms is a big physical presence up front, but he'll never be a goalscorer. He's so predictable, must be easy for defenders to play against. How much longer will we have to wait before he gets "the goal he needs" to start his season off?

The Philosopher

Collins 6

Long punts up to Sims and Wright often meant quick possession turnovers to Soton. Very short passes to our CB’s meant we were under pressure from their high press - needed to bowl to wide more so overall his distribution was poor.

MVE 8

His pace takes care or so many opposition attacks from the wing, shepherded out well, closed down and was a threat down the flanks. Good game.

Thomas 6

Often CB pairings are made up of a brute and an interceptor. Think Kilcline / Peake or Williams / Shaw. Thomas is the brute and got stuck in well enough. His reading of the game is not quite there and he is often caught wrong side. Overall not bad.

Kitching 8

Reads the game well and some decent passing. He’s winning the fans who originally thought £4m? Why? Over (including me). Very good tonight.

Bidwell 6

Ok, not terrible, didn’t have as much freedom as the last couple of games. They pressed up on him which stifled us quite a lot. Noted tonight: our attackers, when pressing their defenders, were trying to block the pass rather than press the man with the ball for the most part. Their players pressed whichever of our defenders had the ball at the time. Just an observation.

Sheaf 7

would be higher but for some daft passes. Some really good play at times.

Allen 6

Ran about a lot. Little else.

O’Hare 7

Busy and effective at times. Looked tired at the end. Understandable.

Tats 8

Did well again linking with MVE down that right hand side and is interacting well with O’Hare at times too. His tracking back was also very good.

Simms 6

Not sure we’re playing to his strengths- he’s not an old fashioned target man and he’s better turning and running on the through balls. Might as well copy and paste this week on week: some loose touches, couple of good surging runs lost a lot of duels, lacks confidence, doesn’t race to press defenders, gel, time, etc.

Wright?

So difficult to grade. Did well for his goal, some neat passes, tracked back well and was more a nuisance to impede their attackers rather than being able to nip in and dispossess but nonetheless his team game is improving. Again, high balls to him are pointless, despite his physical size he’s more a ball to space and run on player than target. 7?

Subs

all 6, Palmer looked sharp enough, JDS OK and Eccles took a typical corner.

Last edited:

JulianDarbyFTW

Just watched it back on ifollow, so rating not influenced by this place as I haven't read any threads yet.

Collins (6) - good feet, but leaves acres of space for opposition strikers to aim at - his positioning needs work
MVE (7) - excellent one minute, ordinary the next
Thomas (7) - steady performance
Kitching (8) - becoming a young McFadz
Bidwell (6) - not his best night, but was solid for the most part
Sheaf (5) - looks off form - perhaps the change in midfield personel has affected him
Allen (6) - willing runner, some good tackles, but ineffective for the most part
O'Hare (7) - decent performance, but tired quickly, which is to be expected after such a flurry of games so soon after his injury
Sakamoto (6) - my favourite little man showcased some silky skills again, but didn't get too involved in the game
Simms (6) - he looked good here and there, but still finding his feet - hopefully 2024 is his year
Wright (7) - looked on fire in some spells, then like he was suffering smoke inhalation in others - good finish, and made KWP struggle

Subs all 6

Hertsccfc

Really surprised at some of the markings. I didn't feel Sheaf was bad at all, in fact in parts he played really well. The run and pass for Simms just before half time was brilliant.

I don't get why so many people seem so positive about Simms and critical of Wright who I thought was excellent. Van Ewijk really is quality.

Collins 7
Van Ewijk 8 motm
Bidwell 6
Thomas 6
Kitching 8
Sheaf 7
Allen 6
Sakamoto 6
O'Hare 7
Simms 5
Wright 8

Palmer 7
Eccles 7
Dasilva 6

AngryAnt

First time doing ratings and just got in so super tired.

Collins 6.5 - Did well with the saves, but he slowed the pace down far too much when we could have broken for counters.

Van Ewijk 8 - Solid and love his ability to actually run and cross a ball, plus he's a threat with free kicks (although that one had to be painful to be fair to the guy who took it in the face)

Thomas 7 - Made a few mistakes from memory, but overall has a good partnership with Kitching, I can't see Fadz getting back in anytime soon.

Kitching 7 - Same as Thomas.

Bidwell 8 - Solid and can't see why he wasn't playing at the start of the season. Has the ability, glad he's back in the team.

Allen 5 - Tireless but tired and went missing in the second half

Sheaf 5 - Same as Allen, worst game I've seen Sheaf have for a long time, a fair few dodgey balls and lost possession. I didn't think he did great against Brum either, possibly just tired legs. Special mention to taking a corner and it being a pretty good one.

O’Hare 7 - Worked hard, selfless in providing the goal and also was communicating with Wright alot on when to hold back etc. We've missed a bit of flair down the middle and he's providing it.

Saka 7 - Love Saka, he's only getting better.

Simms 5 - Looks a little lost. Think he just really needs a goal.

Wright 6.5 - Better on the wing but he frustates me when he casually jogs around. Left a ball that didn't even go out in our half and also tended to dick around with the ball in our defence at times when it should have been moved up the field. Also didn't seem aware enough to give Bidwell a route option a few times. I really want him to do well and not a basher, I hope its just he's needing to find that extra gear for English football.

Subs:
Palmer 7 - Looked lively when he came on and put some good passes together, gave an extra threat against tired legs.
Eccles 6 - I'm not Eccles' biggest fan, but he did well when he came on and helped see the point out.
Dasilva 5 - Bidwell is just better defensively, did alright for the minutes he had.

Overall happy with a point against a side that is better on paper but we could have easily nicked it.

skybluecam

First time doing ratings and just got in so super tired.

Collins 6.5 - Did well with the saves, but he slowed the pace down far too much when we could have broken for counters.

Van Ewijk 8 - Solid and love his ability to actually run and cross a ball, plus he's a threat with free kicks (although that one had to be painful to be fair to the guy who took it in the face)

Thomas 7 - Made a few mistakes from memory, but overall has a good partnership with Kitching, I can't see Fadz getting back in anytime soon.

Kitching 7 - Same as Thomas.

Bidwell 8 - Solid and can't see why he wasn't playing at the start of the season. Has the ability, glad he's back in the team.

Allen 5 - Tireless but tired and went missing in the second half

Sheaf 5 - Same as Allen, worst game I've seen Sheaf have for a long time, a fair few dodgey balls and lost possession. I didn't think he did great against Brum either, possibly just tired legs. Special mention to taking a corner and it being a pretty good one.

O’Hare 7 - Worked hard, selfless in providing the goal and also was communicating with Wright alot on when to hold back etc. We've missed a bit of flair down the middle and he's providing it.

Saka 7 - Love Saka, he's only getting better.

Simms 5 - Looks a little lost. Think he just really needs a goal.

Wright 6.5 - Better on the wing but he frustates me when he casually jogs around. Left a ball that didn't even go out in our half and also tended to dick around with the ball in our defence at times when it should have been moved up the field. Also didn't seem aware enough to give Bidwell a route option a few times. I really want him to do well and not a basher, I hope its just he's needing to find that extra gear for English football.

Subs:
Palmer 7 - Looked lively when he came on and put some good passes together, gave an extra threat against tired legs.
Eccles 6 - I'm not Eccles' biggest fan, but he did well when he came on and helped see the point out.
Dasilva 5 - Bidwell is just better defensively, did alright for the minutes he had.

Overall happy with a point against a side that is better on paper but we could have easily nicked it.
Wright 6.5

joker

Terry_dactyl

I didn’t think anybody played badly. Bidwell wasn’t as good as he has been, I thought his crossing wasn’t great and he was up against it 2nd half. Still decent though.

Thought we went through a period where all our midfielders gave the ball away in dangerous areas. Sheaf’s the only one resulting in a goal. Other than that I thought they all llayex

Simms was ‘more like it’.

Palmer looked really lively. Just stay fit!

Kitching, Wright and MVE were the standouts. MVE probably motm.

Brighton Sky Blue

It his first time posting ratings and they were well reasoned from his view. The Poster needs time to “gel” and if we are keen to cut Wright some slack, why not people posting on this?
Rating Sakamoto higher than Wright doesn’t make much sense to be fair. A few moments aside the former struggled to impose himself and his delivery wasn’t great.

mmttww

Sheaf and Allen were poor today.

Don't want Allen there again in a two.

wingy

Well I know Allen gets a bit here and there but the snapshot was less than a foot wide, Sheaf on the other hand put another one high and wide and wasteful earlier, how much does it take to learn from mistakes.

theferret

Surprised at the criticism of Sheaf. Not his best game, and he did give the ball away. But this is because he is trying to make things happen and play through the lines to get us higher up the pitch against a team that pressed relentlessly. The alternative is that he plays sideways/backwards and hides. Our most important player for me.

Martin180

Surprised at the criticism of Sheaf. Not his best game, and he did give the ball away. But this is because he is trying to make things happen and play through the lines to get us higher up the pitch against a team that pressed relentlessly. The alternative is that he plays sideways/backwards and hides. Our most important player for me.
That's fair . Problem is he is now the playmaker after Gus' departure and they are big shoes to fill . He was trying to be progressive with a lot of his passing I just find he dithers a bit at times and puts himself under pressure.

skybluecam

For me it was the areas he was giving it away in. Don’t mind him losing it up the pitch, but right in front of the back 4 isn’t the place to be having extra touches or playing risky/lazy passes.

Tomh111

Jamie Allen was a standout in all the wring ways last night, very sloppy on the ball and in dangerous areas.

Thought everyone defended well on the whole, very well structured, and you could see us adapt after the first 10 minutes where they got players into space.

I thought Haji had a mixed bag, took his goal well and looked sharp at times. However, he isn't good enough in tight short passing situations yet.

Kitching and Thomas are looking better and better as well.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Ones on here who are good at working out tactics please explain to me why when they have a goal kick the management have Haji stood in an area where he is marking neither their wing back or their wide frontman and when either get the ball instead of attacking him Bidwell style he saunters over and they just cut him out by passing to the other player and continue their buildup.
I know it might offend many on here but I find him (Haji) a very lazy player reminds me of Jay Bothroyd plenty of talent but short on application.

stupot07

For me it was the areas he was giving it away in. Don’t mind him losing it up the pitch, but right in front of the back 4 isn’t the place to be having extra touches or playing risky/lazy passes.
I think people forget how often Hamer used to give the ball away in similar areas. They are being told to be brave and be progressive and not just smash the ball away. Southamptons press was good as as was their anticipation of the passes.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread