Ratings (2 Viewers)

Otis

Not gonna do all the ratings, just a few random thoughts.
Bidwell was mostly great, but I don't get the praise for his crosses - nearly always too floaty.
Milan's free kick would have been our best corner of the season.
Saka - when he signed I expected some tricky wing play, but he's such a cultured player with fantastic commitment and he's worth far more than we paid.
Haji and Ellis are a whisker away from being a pair that will terrify opponents.

The recruitment over the summer was excellent IMO.
I wouldn't say it WAS excellent, but we are getting there.

Really pleased with Kitchen and MVE and Thomas and Sakamoto. I still think we are yet to see the best of Simms and Wright.

As always, we need to give players time. Been loads of mocking of the "time to gel" notion on here, but it DOES take time sometimes for players and systems to kick in.

Thomas seemed wobbly at first, but now looks a really decent player. Sakamoto seemed a little lightweight and it was hard to know where he fit in, but is now looking impressive.

Robins has been fantastic for us. We have to keep the belief he knows what he's doing.

I think Simms will be absolutely fine and I still have hope for Wright too. He just needs to stop keep hitting the ball so close to the keeper.

Sky Blue Pete

I'm 1 who blames Robins for not doing that when players are blowing out the ar.. after about 60 minutes but my thoughts tonight were we had the game under so much control that the likes of Sheaf and Allan who usually needing to come off because of the shift they have put in .Seemed to have a fairly easy night finding acres of without extending themselves overly.
It’s normally about managing the squad
Giving players who you may need to use time
Wasting the time at the end of the game

stevefloyd

Really pleased with Kitchen and MVE and Thomas and Sakamoto. I still think we are yet to see the best of Simms and Wright.

As always, we need to give players time. Been loads of mocking of the "time to gel" notion on here, but it DOES take time sometimes for players and systems to kick in.

Thomas seemed wobbly at first, but now looks a really decent player. Sakamoto seemed a little lightweight and it was hard to know where he fit in, but is now looking impressive.

Robins has been fantastic for us. We have to keep the belief he knows what he's doing.

I think Simms will be absolutely fine and I still have hope for Wright too. He just needs to stop keep hitting the ball so close to the keeper.
As I have said before Robins supported us through the bad times so we can at least support him although the tide definitely seems to be turning ....roll on Wembley

Essexrobbie

Crowd...10 ...give your selves a slap on the back for all those lucky enough to have been there. The commentors will have sore throats today for sure trying to be heard over your noise. Birmingham contributed to what must have been a great atmosphere inside the ground.

Langers70

All 8s from me apart from Wright and Simms.Wright put himself about but made some wrong decisions,unlucky when Ruddy saved one with his face though,so I’ll give him a 7 for being busy.Simms gets a 6,didn’t get much to feed off,but I expected him to bully their defence.Still think he will come good,just needs a goal or two.Keep playing like this and we will get top 10 and hopefully kick on again next season.

clint van damme

I thought Simms did well when he came on.

clint van damme

Not gonna do all the ratings, just a few random thoughts.
Bidwell was mostly great, but I don't get the praise for his crosses - nearly always too floaty.
Milan's free kick would have been our best corner of the season.
Saka - when he signed I expected some tricky wing play, but he's such a cultured player with fantastic commitment and he's worth far more than we paid.
Haji and Ellis are a whisker away from being a pair that will terrify opponents.

The recruitment over the summer was excellent IMO.

There was probably a bit of merit earlier in the season in the criticism that he lacked end product but he's starting to produce now.

His involvement in the 2nd goal shouldn't be underrated, simple little back heel but he saw the bigger picture of taking advantage down their left when playing the ball thexway he was facing would have been the easier and obvious option

Londonccfcfan

After tonight we need to throw money at O’Hare. If he can be that composed and clinical in front of goal he will go up another level as a player.
100% think that time off on sidelines has helped him mentally focus.

Early days...but he did look clinical. Could have had a hatrick.

The 2 strikers helped him get the space he required. Not exactly sure where he played or what system we played midfield onwards...looked very fluid.

Londonccfcfan

We have all the makings of potentially a frightening team....and the squad depth looks immense.

It's gonna be tough to keep the fridge players in squad happy. Next challenge for Robins. Coukd have and shiukd have brought some subs on of im being picky.

wingy

We have all the makings of potentially a frightening team....and the squad depth looks immense.

It's gonna be tough to keep the fridge players in squad happy. Next challenge for Robins. Coukd have and shiukd have brought some subs on of im being picky.
Probably as much of a learning experience from him, I mean I know he gets criticised for his resistance, but I think we can allow him once or twice.

Nuskyblue

Collins 7 casual and unorthodox
Van ewijk 8 good understanding with tats, go on lad work harder please more overlaps
Bidwell 7 solid we must have a better corner taker tho surely
Thomas 7 dodgy early but improved
Kitching 7 lynchpin
Sheaf 7 sloppy at times but improved
Allen 8 excellent fitness
CoH 9 back to his best
Tats 8 really impressive improving
Wright 6 some decent stuff finishing poor falls over alot
Simms 6 falls over a lot misses ball a lot

let’s not get too high brum we’re a shambles
Brum were awful, nothing about them today at all.

7s accros the board for me apart from O'Hare and Sakamoto who get 9s.

Our full backs were good too, maybes they get and 8.

BlueSkiesForever

Back 4 working wonders atm, admittedly against a completely out of form Birmingham but, still, we played them out of the park.

Collins 7
Van Ewijk 8
Thomas 8
Kitching 8
Bidwell 8
Allen 7
Sheaf 7
O’Hare 8
Sakamoto 9 (MOTM)
Wright 6
Simms 6

I feel like we’re still having trouble feeding our strikers, yes they could have been a lot better but we’re just not finding them in space often enough. Simms looked quiet most of the game but I think that’s more to him not getting the ball rather than him being poor, I hope Robins sticks with the same front 3 and gives them time to learn each other’s game more.

Boicey

Collins, Kitching, MVE, Bidwell, Allen, Saka, O'Hare all absolutely cemented their places. Saka and Calum were a class above, fantastic.
Thomas is worryingly sloppy at times, he needs to sort it.
Sheaf looks a graceful player but is often overrated imo.
Wright and Simms are an enigma. Both try hard, seem nice quiet lads but just lack a good striker's natural agression, especially in the box.
My biggest concern was Robins pushing Palmer in the post match interview. We play so much better at high tempo with high workrate. Palmer ain't that.

clint van damme

Back 4 working wonders atm, admittedly against a completely out of form Birmingham but, still, we played them out of the park.

Collins 7
Van Ewijk 8
Thomas 8
Kitching 8
Bidwell 8
Allen 7
Sheaf 7
O’Hare 8
Sakamoto 9 (MOTM)
Wright 6
Simms 6

I feel like we’re still having trouble feeding our strikers, yes they could have been a lot better but we’re just not finding them in space often enough. Simms looked quiet most of the game but I think that’s more to him not getting the ball rather than him being poor, I hope Robins sticks with the same front 3 and gives them time to learn each other’s game more.

I thought Simms came into the game more 2nd half played some nice little lay offs but no one seemed to be on his wavelength.
Had one great run into the box but awful end product when he neither shot or passed and just slashed it across the box to the far side.

Hertsccfc

Yeah, it was a pun on how I only thought he contributed for the last 20, didn't really work clearly!
I was starting to wonder if he was invisible to some people! People always say he should play more and now even when he played the whole match you seemed to imply he should play more.

But yes you are right he was largely anonymous again although he did have a few good touches towards the end. There was once when he laid the ball of to Allen that was a great but of skill but again he was very tame.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

Overall a very good performance and for me the standouts were O'Hare, van Ewijk, Sakamoto and Wright. I thought Birmingham were quite good but our defence coped well on the whole, although Thomas was the weakest of the four. Allen's workrate was exceptional.

I thought the atmosphere was great and it actually helped having a larger away following. Almost felt like Premier League days at Highfield Road.

skybluecam

Overall a very good performance and for me the standouts were O'Hare, van Ewijk, Sakamoto and Wright. I thought Birmingham were quite good but our defence coped well on the whole, although Thomas was the weakest of the four. Allen's workrate was exceptional.

I thought the atmosphere was great and it actually helped having a larger away following. Almost felt like Premier League days at Highfield Road.
Birmingham were dogshit other than that Dembele on the left

BlueSkiesForever

I thought Simms came into the game more 2nd half played some nice little lay offs but no one seemed to be on his wavelength.
Had one great run into the box but awful end product when he neither shot or passed and just slashed it across the box to the far side.

Yeah I agree Clint, he sort of warmed into the game and made some decent runs round the back of defenders, just not quite got the end product yet. I hope Robins sticks with the same team though as Simms looks quick and powerful but lacks finesse and that’s probably due to a lack of minutes and lack of confidence being benched every week. I think chopping and changing every week won’t help us as Godden and Simms are two very different strikers.

clint van damme

Yeah I agree Clint, he sort of warmed into the game and made some decent runs round the back of defenders, just not quite got the end product yet. I hope Robins sticks with the same team though as Simms looks quick and powerful but lacks finesse and that’s probably due to a lack of minutes and lack of confidence being benched every week. I think chopping and changing every week won’t help us as Godden and Simms are two very different strikers.

Be interesting to see what he does Wednesday. Let's be honest, none of the strikers are currently setting the world alight

fernandopartridge

We've managed to get Wright into the game and recognise his runs, Simms needs a run in the match so the players can start to recognise his movements

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gibbo

Good (in no order) Bidwell, MvE, O'Hare, Sheaf, Saka, the referee.
Par for the course: Collins, Kitching, Thomas, Allen, Wright
Below par: Simms, the opposition
MoM: Bidwell. Should be Saka or O'Hare but Bidwell is so solid, makes few errors, does his best going forward, makes himself available. He has drawn the short straw to have to take the corners and is better than Eccles. Only 5% of corners lead to a goal iirc anyway.

Collins: Never mind the save, 90% of a goalie's job is distribution and he is just too slow. By the time he moves it out the opposition have reorganised and he would do just as well to go long, which I notice they did more in the second half. You just have to look at the speed the Liverpool keeper gets it out. Makes all the difference. And with Saka you have an excellent target for the quick release.

The defence: Were not exactly facing very much, but Jut won the lion's share of the high balls but just had nobody playing off him. Thomas and Kitching were against one up front. We like Thomas for his Hanson'esque ball playing skills, but that is a small part of the job. However in general they do look solid, and while we have missed Vik and Gus, until now we really missed Doyle and McNally

Not sure what people see in Allen. Never have since promotion, busy but how effective? Sheaf on the other hand is just class. The game slows to his pace. Playing where he does there are always going to be missed passes.

O'Hare and Saka both have the ability to make something out of nothing. It is what set's them apart. Without one or two like that in a team you are never going to get far. O'Hare was all action just like before and Saka had his fullback for breakfast, dinner and tea.

Wright has potential. He can beat players 1 on 1, he is a big, if clumsy unit - we should persevere. While more effective than Godden, Simms at the moment just hasn't got the physical and mental speed for the Championship.

clint van damme

MoM: Bidwell. Should be Saka or O'Hare but Bidwell is so solid, makes few errors, does his best going forward, makes himself available. He has drawn the short straw to have to take the corners and is better than Eccles. Only 5% of corners lead to a goal iirc anyway.

Collins: Never mind the save, 90% of a goalie's job is distribution and he is just too slow. By the time he moves it out the opposition have reorganised and he would do just as well to go long, which I notice they did more in the second half. You just have to look at the speed the Liverpool keeper gets it out. Makes all the difference. And with Saka you have an excellent target for the quick release.

The defence: Were not exactly facing very much, but Jut won the lion's share of the high balls but just had nobody playing off him. Thomas and Kitching were against one up front. We like Thomas for his Hanson'esque ball playing skills, but that is a small part of the job. However in general they do look solid, and while we have missed Vik and Gus, until now we really missed Doyle and McNally

Not sure what people see in Allen. Never have since promotion, busy but how effective? Sheaf on the other hand is just class. The game slows to his pace. Playing where he does there are always going to be missed passes.

O'Hare and Saka both have the ability to make something out of nothing. It is what set's them apart. Without one or two like that in a team you are never going to get far. O'Hare was all action just like before and Saka had his fullback for breakfast, dinner and tea.

Wright has potential. He can beat players 1 on 1, he is a big, if clumsy unit - we should persevere. While more effective than Godden, Simms at the moment just hasn't got the physical and mental speed for the Championship.

Can't agree with your comments about Allen and Sheaf.
Allen was very good last night. Yes Sheaf has class, but too often he doesn't show it and is sloppy.
I've been saying it for ages but he has to be more consistent, he should be bossing games for 90 minutes, or is that expecting too much of him?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Can't agree with your comments about Allen and Sheaf.
Allen was very good last night. Yes Sheaf has class, but too often he doesn't show it and is sloppy.
I've been saying it for ages but he has to be more consistent, he should be bossing games for 90 minutes, or is that expecting too much of him?

You're right. Sheaf wasn't bad by any means, but going forward he made some terrible decisions which on another night could have been costly. He's an automatic player of the match contention for many on here regardless of performance however.

I said it on another thread, but if Eccles had played and put in the same performance, people would be talking about dropping him for the next game. There's quite a lot of bias and I do feel sorry for Eccles. On performances this season he probably deserves to be starting.

skyblueelephant76

Collins literally helped set up the second goal with quick distribution

ovduk78

Just back home from last night. We were easy winners & Blues look a poor side. Hard to pick a motm but O'Hare, Allen, Sakamoto, Bidwell & MVE were all very good. It's great to see how the players get stuck in & cover each other. One thing I would like to see us try is for Kitching & Thomas to sometimes hit it long diagonally to whoever is wide on opposite wing, Stoke did it a few times against us, not sure why we never do it.

fernandopartridge

Is that the same slow distribution from Collins we saw for the second goal?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread