Rangers friendly (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

I remember watching it sundays on channel 4 Religiously.

Haven’t really followed it for a few years though, think I prefer Inter and I like Lazio purely for the sky Blues shirts
I went to see inter play in october. Hope i didnt start the corona issues..

Yeah i like all of them to do well bar juve

Just like Celtic rangers I see likes of Lazio and ac milan as big clubs that I want to see progress in europe again. Probably explains why I am a big fan of the Europa league. I hope everyone gives it w go in August as the KO rounds tend to be brilliant as so many even teams financially

skyblue1991

Really couldn't give a fuck about Rangers or Celtic. In fact the whole of Scottish football for that matter.

However it's a friendly against a top end Championship team so will be a good test.

ccfctommy

John McGinn joined Villa partly because he wouldn't of been a first choice at Celtic

There is a pattern here...

Joey Barton does well at at Burnley, flops at Rangers, resigns for Burnley in the Prem and does well.

Glenn Whelan helps get Villa promoted, joins Hearts and flops.

covcity4life

At Lyon now isn't he? Class player though.
He is

Eduaord is good too

Morelos too would got for 20m odd

Rangers got Hagi son. He looks the real deal too

Some good players at both clubs. But also means both are ultimatly selling clubs. That's life

BackRoomRummermill

The football may be poor in Scotland but the fly tipping is world class , the fly tipping just off the M8 by Glasgow airport is a different level

Evo1883

I love Ronaldo. It really annoys me when people refer to him as “fat Ronaldo” on his day he was one of the greatest strikers the game has seen.

deserves more respect

Without injuries people would probably be talking about him in the same respect as the likes of Pele, Messi etc... Frightening player, unreal ability... Best striker I've ever seen

mark82

It has punched above its weight for years for a country of 5 million. National team a regular at world cups, European trophies at domestic level and several Scottish players in English title and European cup winning sides

It's probably now where it should be for a country of its size. But it's still the best attended league in Europe per capita.
Easy just to just dismiss it as shit. Like I said earlier, like the lower league's in England there's an authenticity about it that's missing from the the EPL in my opinion.

Screwed by the Champions League like a lot of similar sized leagues.

TomRad85

Based on their current teams, Celtic would be high championship, Rangers mid championship, the rest scattered throughout leagues 1 and 2. If Celtic and Rangers were in the English game they would likely get into the prem eventually but they aren't so its irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

The scottish league was pretty decent in the 90s, remembering the likes of Laudrup, Collins,gazza and larsson... Harder for teams to go there in Europe too

mark82

That the Scottish game is better than people make out and it was the Making of him, (though by that I think he was referring to the mental toughness required to play at a big club in the spotlight). Think James Madisson and others have said similar.
I don't think it's as poor as people make out. To say it's shit when it's produced the players it has and does is a bit silly in my opinion.

There's just a massive disparity between the top 2 and the rest. James Maddison went on loan to Aberdeen from a Championship club and excelled. No-one says it isn't a decent quality but some of the lower end teams are league one standard. Celtic probably comparable with Leeds/West Brom and Rangers with the chasing pack around the playoffs to mid table.

Evo1883

So anyway... Back to the friendly... Nice to see us play rangers rather than Swindon or some Swiss 5th division side... Progress everywhere

covcity4life

The scottish league was pretty decent in the 90s, remembering the likes of Laudrup, Collins,gazza and larsson... Harder for teams to go there in Europe too

Hately at rangers probably my first memories of Scottish footy. Had no idea he played for cov

covcity4life

So anyway... Back to the friendly... Nice to see us play rangers rather than Swindon or some Swiss 5th division side... Progress everywhere
Yeah result dont matter but if we keep it close I think it bodes well. Then we can see how leverkusen do vs them in 2nd leg..maybe cov are bundesliga level already!

TomRad85

That was the era Celtic and Rangers could have comfortably held their own in the prem.

covcity4life

I remember rangers doing Leeds over 2 legs in Europe early 90s.. They were a decent side then
I watched that on YouTube last week!!! Great game and I remember watching it live

Alao have a vivid memory of either rangers or Leeds vs stuttgart but i cant find evidence of it anywhere. Played in 00s but it would have been in 90s as i was young

better days

But Murray won Wimbledon in an era dominated by all time greats.

Celtic would never win the champions league today
That's true Evo but in many ways it's sad
Although I dislike Celtic because of their current manager and the attitude of some of their fans it was a magnificent achievement for them to win the European Cup with a team that were all born within around 50 miles of Glasgow
What a contrast to now
Which is best, as it was then, supporting a team where the players are exactly like the fans?
Or today where let's face it the majority of players at the elite clubs are mercenaries, most of whom will have little affinity with their club

TomRad85

I don't dismiss professional sportsmen as shit easily.
I've had this same argument with a colleague over Andy Murray and Tim Henmann, both of whom he dismissed as shit.
Just because someone's not at the pinnacle of their sport doesn't make them shit.
Murray was very much at the pinnacle of his sport.

Users who are viewing this thread