rangers and Celtic in premier league? (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

Scudamore is saying no and equating it to "there's more in it for them than us".

What the hell is he talking about? basing his argument on money alone?
I thought is was a fans game, a sport for goodness sake.

Frankly having Rangers and Celtic in the premier league would be a bonus for football fans. Imagine those games Man Utd v Celtic or Rangers, Arsenal v Rangers, Chelsea v Celtic, Liverpool v Rangers, Celtic v Newcastle etc.

Sure would increase Rangers and Celtics earnings but so what? They are naturally both big clubs and would attract big players to compete at the top.
I'd love to see it.

Maybe FIFA would increase qualifying champions league places by one or two as well?

A a fan would you not like to see it? I know I would.

chiefdave

would work with Celtic and Rangers but where would the other scottish teams fit in? without the big games against the glasgow sides will they see attendances drop?

Would have thought they'd have to integrate the whole league. Maybe we should move back to regional divisions in the lower leagues.

oggys nose

What right do rangers and celtic have to go straight into the premier league ... if they want to joing the english league they should both start from the bottom.

Otis

There's more in it for everybody.

Imagine all the over the border fighting by hooligans from both sides. It will be great. :facepalm:

stupot07

Celtic are full of championship players and Rangers have a current squad that would struggle in League One.

The move would completely destroy Scottish football, which would then become the equivalent of the welsh or northern Irish league.

Typical premier league, all about the money.

Covstu

This would not benefit the premier league at all, this would help finance both teams but would kill their own league. Theybare average teams, rangers top striker moved to turkey then Cardiff which speaks volumes!

This would also not be fair on championship sides who will not likely see three teams come up that season also. Also if the Scottish want to split from London whybshould they come nto our leagues and benefit here, cake and eat it? Fuck em I say!

cloughie

Scudamore is saying no and equating it to "there's more in it for them than us".

What the hell is he talking about? basing his argument on money alone?
I thought is was a fans game, a sport for goodness sake.

Frankly having Rangers and Celtic in the premier league would be a bonus for football fans. Imagine those games Man Utd v Celtic or Rangers, Arsenal v Rangers, Chelsea v Celtic, Liverpool v Rangers, Celtic v Newcastle etc.

Sure would increase Rangers and Celtics earnings but so what? They are naturally both big clubs and would attract big players to compete at the top.
I'd love to see it.

Maybe FIFA would increase qualifying champions league places by one or two as well?

A a fan would you not like to see it? I know I would.

celtic and rangers aren,t good enough for the premiership they have about as much right to be in there based on their team as we do.

and before people say oh but they would improve with the extra income , well so would we

Last edited:

Paxman II

Yes extra income but lets face it they are both huge clubs! They would become pretty much big players over night. they would not be league 1 standard at all.
As for Scottish football? It would flourish. The league would be less one sided and a better playing field with teams competing and yes improving because they would only get better and chase champions league places and the income streams fairer. That league would grow stronger and attendances grow. Others like Hibs and hearts and Dundee Utd can't progress while the big two are there.

The premier league would be stronger for it too. Two more big boys to compete. The premier league would be richer for it both financially and football wise. Just can't see what Scudamore is thinking...

stupot07

Yes extra income but lets face it they are both huge clubs! They would become pretty much big players over night. they would not be league 1 standard at all.
As for Scottish football? It would flourish. The league would be less one sided and a better playing field with teams competing and yes improving because they would only get better and chase champions league places and the income streams fairer. That league would grow stronger and attendances grow. Others like Hibs and hearts and Dundee Utd can't progress while the big two are there.

The premier league would be stronger for it too. Two more big boys to compete. The premier league would be richer for it both financially and football wise. Just can't see what Scudamore is thinking...

Paxman you are living in cloud cookoo land if you think Scottish football will flourish. Uefa will soon reduce the number of euro spots, competition sponsors will want to pay vastly reduced rates, as will television. Have a look at the attendances in the Scottish premier

Celtic and rangers average 49k and 44k, the hearts 13k then everyone else less than 10k with 6 teams averaging less than 5.6k - that's league 1 and 2 standard crowds. 8 of the 12 clubs highest home attendance has been against the top 2.

Without the big 2 there just isn't enough interest in the SPL

CCFC Germany

As non-english teams they should not play in the English leagues.
Cardiff + Swansea should be in the Welsh premier as well.

wingy

Can't take this seriously Paxman ,you refer to fans,what about the "fans " of the two teams displaced after earning the right to play in the league for eons ,their history and reward for years of struggle wiped out for financial expediency and TV greed,its not just about geography anfd fanbase ,you have to earn the right ,start @ the bottom!!!

SkyBlueMania

They would indeed have to start from the bottom and work up, I think this is an accepted fact is it not? Very much doubt they would be dropped in the top flight.

As for the 'Scottish football would die' argument, Kilmarnock took more fans to see them play Ayr in the league cup semi-final than they did to the final to see them play Celtic the other day! Found that quite odd at first but then when you think about it, there isn't much fun in going to see your team get beat badly 19 times out of 20 against the top two. I'm not convinced this would be a bad thing for scottish football on the whole.

stupot07

They would indeed have to start from the bottom and work up, I think this is an accepted fact is it not? Very much doubt they would be dropped in the top flight.

As for the 'Scottish football would die' argument, Kilmarnock took more fans to see them play Ayr in the league cup semi-final than they did to the final to see them play Celtic the other day! Found that quite odd at first but then when you think about it, there isn't much fun in going to see your team get beat badly 19 times out of 20 against the top two. I'm not convinced this would be a bad thing for scottish football on the whole.

Kilmarnock have average 5104 this season, and their highest attendance was 9506 vs Rangers and their lowest 3768 vs 5th place St Johnstone.

Paxman II

It's about the overall average of attendances in the league. Without the top two the rest would improve along with their respective results from a fairer more balanced league.
As for Tv rights etc why would they decrease without the top two? The league will be more competitive and the games so and the Tv will be following more than two candidates vying for the title. The whole thing would benefit.
As for Celtic and Rangers starting at the bottom for fairness...really? So put them in league 3 so they wipe the floor with everyone and the league two the same and maybe a little more difficult come the championship but with their backing do you really think they would not get out of that quickly too? All very unfair on the teams in those leagues. So yes straight into the premiership. The Tv rights would increase and contracts with the premier league would be more valuable than ever. That money is spread throughout football. Everyone benefits.
You just have to see the bigger picture.
To those that claim national identity issues....get a life. Were' British. I'm half Scot. Can't even begin to think what happens if they go 'independent' farcical stuff born of ego and a false sense of historical reflection. Bah humbug!

scroobiustom

I think the novelty of England vs. Scotland would were out very fast, so doubt many Rangers/Celtic fans would make the journey south after a few seasons; an emptying bank account & defeat after defeat.

Covstu

it would either go one of two ways, they would imporve their squads significantly or they would fade and get relegated. Sorry they should go through the leagues and not start at the top, why should they get preferential treatment over someone like Cardiff who are not in this country also? Forget that why should they get better treatment than us more to the point!!!

Sky Blue M

Think that might be something to do with Kilmarnock being in Ayrshire, it was a derby which they dont get to play very often.

Skyblue Deano

I am also a rangers fan as well and personally I think rangers and Celtic should stay in the spl. However it will be brilliant if they did as both Celtic and rangers have a cracking away support and it would really show how good the teams are against the big ones like man u and Chelsea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread