Racist William Shakespeare (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Nope, it runs all through OFAH allt he way through... albeit I didn't watch the comeback specials as they're shit.

And FWIW you can keep going with this, and my parents have their faults, including age related issues with presentation of certain issues, but racist language in any form certainly isn't one of them. It's a bit stupid to keep trying to challenge that when you don't know them really and, as I said, I'm not trying to do some kind of racist one-upmanship - it's just how it was and is with them. Call them progressive in that sense if you like, I don't really care... but it is how it is.
Woah woah put the brakes on. I never said they were, I said I was surprised they weren't being from that generation - a whole world of difference.

Sick Boy

I understand the point and not purposefully trying to be argumentative (perhaps it's becuase I can't stand Shakespeare) but I don't see how it differs from the old sitcoms I mentioned. Whether they were ever even funny in the first place is questionable, but surely it shouls be one rule either all in or all out and not only allow WS becuase he's classic and it was ok but then ban Alf Garnett.
How can you not stand Shakespeare?
Even if you’re not a fan you can surely appreciate him.

rob9872

How can you not stand Shakespeare?
Even if you’re not a fan you can surely appreciate him.
I think it stems from being dragged along to the RSC on a school trip. Teacher wetting himself and we're all looking around thinking wtf is he on? Blatantly forced outward laughing and not remotely funny. We found our own entertainment throwing sugar lumps we'd collected from the cafe beforehand at kids from other schools.

skybluetony176

“P*ki shop” bit floored me.
It’s a saying so off the era. It’s clearly wrong to use at any point in time but it happened and there’s nothing to be gained by deleting it from re-runs of old sitcoms to pretend it didn’t. Leave it in, make people be uncomfortable that it was ever used, it serves the purpose of showing us how far we’ve come. Also how far there is still to go.

rob9872

It’s a saying so off the era. It’s clearly wrong to use at any point in time but it happened and there’s nothing to be gained by deleting it from re-runs of old sitcoms to pretend it didn’t. Leave it in, make people be uncomfortable that it was ever used, it serves the purpose of showing us how far we’ve come. Also how far there is still to go.
SHFWC
SHFTSITG

olderskyblue

Woah woah put the brakes on. I never said they were, I said I was surprised they weren't being from that generation - a whole world of difference.

I agree with your point, to a point....

In my day, racism was common place (but not everyone), but it took different forms for different people (imo)

Love thy neighbour was intended to show the stupidity of racism, where the white neighbour was shown as a fool. The problem with it then was the racists actually missed this point (or ignored it) and probably just laughed at the insulting racist language used, or were just too thick to "get" the message, and the problem now is the language used is so far behind where we have got to now as a nation, and although commonly used then, is rightly, completely out of place today.

It's history. History has it's place.

To compare Shakespeare with Love thy neighbour in it's place in history is quite a stretch....

Perhaps we should ban the Fosse Way, named after the Roman Conquest of Britain? Yes, an equally ludicrous suggestion.

(what did the Romans ever do for us?) :LOL:

Otis

Your prerogative (if I could spell it!) but I'd be amazed if there was a person who posts on here that was around in the 70s & 80s who has never used that term for the shop and it would be quite a leap for me to suggest the entire forum is racist. You hear everyone else saying it including at home and and think it's ok to repeat until it's pointed out otherwise.
I don't think I ever used P*ki, but I did used to use Ch*nky. No-one out of my friends and I ever knew it was inappropriate. We thought it was okay and not a slur at all.

Otis

I don’t consider people saying ‘coloured’ anywhere near the same level as there other 2 phrases personally. At least people saying coloured were trying to be nice.

My mum still calls herself half-cast which is outdated, that’s another one.
That happened to me once when I went for an audition and they sort of gave me the part, but then gave it to someone else.

Sick Boy

Your prerogative (if I could spell it!) but I'd be amazed if there was a person who posts on here that was around in the 70s & 80s who has never used that term for the shop and it would be quite a leap for me to suggest the entire forum is racist. You hear everyone else saying it including at home and and think it's ok to repeat until it's pointed out otherwise.
I was born in ‘84 and the ‘p word’ was rife when I was growing up - never felt the need to use it though because it was clearly a racist term. I’d wager those who used it the most back then still use it now - I used to know a guy you’d deliberately say half of it and then say “oh sorry I mean Asians” - needless to say we ended up having a punch up 😂😂

skybluetony176

I was born in ‘84 and the ‘p word’ was rife when I was growing up - never felt the need to use it though because it was clearly a racist term. I’d wager those who used it the most back then still use it now - I used to know a guy you’d deliberately say half of it and then say “oh sorry I mean Asians” - needless to say we ended up having a punch up 😂😂
I actually heard it in conversation about 4 years ago. I had a gas engineer around to remove an old gas fire and when he finished the job he said put that old fire on things for sale on Facebook and some paki will give you £40 for it. I told him not to use language like that in my house and he played the victim like I was in the wrong. Never used him again, it cost him a new central heating system for a 4 bed. Yeah that’s right, I cancelled him.

Otis

I actually heard it in conversation about 4 years ago. I had a gas engineer around to remove an old gas fire and when he finished the job he said put that old fire on things for sale on Facebook and some paki will give you £40 for it. I told him not to use language like that in my house and he played the victim like I was in the wrong. Never used him again, it cost him a new central heating system for a 4 bed. Yeah that’s right, I cancelled him.
And then he came to me and charged me half price and said "That Tony's a bit of a prick isn't he."

I didn't know you then, so kind of went along with it, but then of course I actually met you much later on and it just confirmed it all for me.

🤪

olderskyblue

I was in my local waiting for a mate, and this asian guy comes to the bar to ordert a drink, and we start chatting. After 10 minutes or so, his pals turn up and he goes off to sit down. My Indian neighbour (who I didnt know was in the pub) came up to me and tells me I shouldnt be talking to the asian guy, as he's a very bad man. I ask why, and he keeps repeating he's a very bad man. I ask what has he done, and he eventually says "he's Pakistani" as if that answers the question ?? 😁

tbf, he was a great neighbour and his family were all very nice, but clearly a racist.

I think I may have set his son off on his current career path too, as I advised him to head off to the States given his grades and what his ambitions were. He did that, and has had lots of success. (I'm still waiting for my Tesla as a thank you....) :D

David O'Day

Shylock is so anti-Semitic he he probably left the Labour in disgust when Corbyn stood down ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

I was born in the mid 70’s and both of the words mentioned were used and I may have used them in the past growing up but I don’t now, there are loads of words that have gone with good reason the local shop was the Indian shop though. The use of the term retard is being used more and more and is one that I really hate and does me feel quite sad when people say it at work.

Otis

I was born in the mid 70’s and both of the words mentioned were used and I may have used them in the past growing up but I don’t now, there are loads of words that have gone with good reason the local shop was the Indian shop though. The use of the term retard is being used more and more and is one that I really hate and does me feel quite sad when people say it at work.
Was very popular in US films for quite a while, maybe even still used now, but not so sure.

I don't like it at all either.

Sick Boy

I was in my local waiting for a mate, and this asian guy comes to the bar to ordert a drink, and we start chatting. After 10 minutes or so, his pals turn up and he goes off to sit down. My Indian neighbour (who I didnt know was in the pub) came up to me and tells me I shouldnt be talking to the asian guy, as he's a very bad man. I ask why, and he keeps repeating he's a very bad man. I ask what has he done, and he eventually says "he's Pakistani" as if that answers the question ?? 😁

tbf, he was a great neighbour and his family were all very nice, but clearly a racist.

I think I may have set his son off on his current career path too, as I advised him to head off to the States given his grades and what his ambitions were. He did that, and has had lots of success. (I'm still waiting for my Tesla as a thank you....) :D
I used to go out with a Punjabi girl back in the day and her family were exactly the same.

Sick Boy

It’s the ever increasing Americanisation of the country.

rob9872

That's all well and good but where do we stand on twunt? I'd hate people to think it's ok when I actually want it to be offensive.

JAM See

Oh FFS!

This is clickbait!

skybluetony176

Spastic is the one I remember from my childhood. Allegedly the reason that The Spastic Society changed its name to Scope was as a result of the negative nature the name took on.

Otis

Spastic is the one I remember from my childhood. Allegedly the reason that The Spastic Society changed its name to Scope was as a result of the negative nature the name took on.
Now people just call you a scope.

And it cuts to the core.

Evo1883

Last person I heard use the term p**i c*nt was an Indian lad at jaguar Land rover , true story

TomRad85

Last person I heard use the term p**i c*nt was an Indian lad at jaguar Land rover , true story
Yeh same, well not at Jaguar Land Rover but when I was young I used to have a part time job at a wholesaler, Indians and Pakistanis would slag each other off constantly. Didn't even realise it was a thing until then.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agreed on all points. But then the 70s was a period in time and social commentary from that is equal to social commentary in the 16th century. So again I ask, why is it ok to cancel one like it never happened and not the other? I think we're all just repeating the same points.

Personally i don't think we should cancel it.

I think the main reason stuff like Alf Garnett isn't shown is because of commercial reasons. It's humour is derived from the racist element and so to most people today it's just not funny. It has value as an indicator of the times but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread