Racism at the game (1 Viewer)

baldy

Not doing something doesn't make you racist, the same as not wearing a poppy doesn't mean you're anti soldiers who've served in battle.

Telling people the British Legion fella trying to sell a poppy outside M&S should stop as there's no point to it is less of a good look, however. If you double down and boo him as he sits at his table, that probably doesn't help, too.

I don’t wear or buy a poppy because the British Legion don’t need my money what with having 70 million in the bank already & leaving 6,000 war veterans homeless

SheafIsGod

What's your take then, they shouldn't do anything because it might be made up? I'd imagine they'd be looking for cctv and corroborating statements from other witnesses. Weird use of the word 'grassed' as well, like he should have just shut up and accepted it.

Unless there is solid evidence and not just the word of the fan/player, I don’t think they should eject someone. Sets a horrible precedent. If it was just verbal abuse, I highly doubt CCTV camera footage could confirm with absolute certainty that the supporter was being racist.

napolimp

Taking the knee is pointless and just a way for clubs to pretend they’re doing something meaningful to combat racism without actually doing something meaningful to combat racism. My black friend, who I attend games with, and I both hold this view so I suppose we’re both racist.

Yes, I think what people are saying is that anyone who believes more should be done to tackle racism is a racist. You've dissected that nicely.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Unless there is solid evidence and not just the word of the fan/player, I don’t think they should eject someone. Sets a horrible precedent. If it was just verbal abuse, I highly doubt CCTV camera footage could confirm with absolute certainty that the supporter was being racist.
The fact they ejected him right then suggests there were grounds for it. I agree that cctv is unlikely to provide unequivocal proof, they have probably gone with the statements of several witnesses. Ultinately neither of us know, i just doubt he's been booted out if completely innocent, it doesn't seem credible.

shmmeee

So it’s okay for 2 players of different ethnicity’s to not support an anti racism gesture in front of 20k people. Does that not make them anti anti racism by the definition provided by the sbt police?

Why is that better than someone on a forum saying they don’t agree with it when clearly 2 players have shown they do not?

One is about your own actions one is about policing others. This isn’t hard.

I don’t watch shit reality TV, that’s fine. Me campaigning to stop you watching shit reality TV would cross the line.

Welcome to a liberal society.

señor Santiago

Why are you playing defence lawyer?

Do you expect him to have a banner showing racist abuse, is that the solid evidence you need?

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Didn't even hear about it until this but good to see the club taking swift action

Ironic that someone started a time to stop taking the knee thread yesterday too

Hats off to the club for taking immediate action and removing the culprit before kick off - along with confiscating the ST. That individual has no place in a football stadium.

ccfc1234

I resent the fact that I’m going to follow your analogy involving reality tv given that this is a really serious subject. In fact I’m shocked you would trivialise it.

Anyway, you today told someone to not watch molly mae. Is that not the same as me telling someone to not take the knee as per your very comparison?

Don’t know why you have to be condescending either
In fairness I think he is trying to draw parallels rather than trivialize anything. Great club have acted swiftly and an investigation needs to follow. If that shows criminality has occurred it has to be a long ban and referral to the police. I would not favour it being an automatic lifetime ban as long as the individual engaged with education interventions that could make him a better human and more useful member of society.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I resent the fact that I’m going to follow your analogy involving reality tv given that this is a really serious subject. In fact I’m shocked you would trivialise it.

Anyway, you today told someone to not watch molly mae. Is that not the same as me telling someone to not take the knee as per your very comparison?

Don’t know why you have to be condescending either

3/10

Must try harder

Sky Blue Harry H

I don’t wear or buy a poppy because the British Legion don’t need my money what with having 70 million in the bank already & leaving 6,000 war veterans homeless

If they bought a house/flat for each person at £100k, that would only home 700 (assuming the occupants could then afford running costs etc) and the British Legion would be skint. Not sure they'd be holding onto that that for reasons of 'greed' They must have costs to run their organisation too,?

dadgad

Well done the club for banning someone for racist behaviour. It needs to happen and ’taking the knee’ needs to continue as it symbolises unity for a just cause. Look at the unholy mess Yarkshire Cricket Club got into by condoning racism.

WestEndAgro

Several teams are no longer taking the Knee, that doesn't make them racist, I believe it's pointless.
All off you getting your nickers in a twist are you still clapping the NHS every Thursday night 🤔.
The point has been made.
It raises awareness up to a point, but eventually becomes ineffective.

Terry_dactyl

Several teams are no longer taking the Knee, that doesn't make them racist, I believe it's pointless.
All off you getting your nickers in a twist are you still clapping the NHS every Thursday night 🤔.
The point has been made.
If you acknowledge, which I think you do, that it raises awareness and that this is important, what would you do instead?

shmmeee

The point has been made.

No one is saying everyone has to take the knee or they’re racist. People are saying that people who get irrationally upset at other people choosing to take the knee are at best weird and at worst upset by anti racist gestures.

You are welcome to think it’s pointless. What you aren’t welcome to do is boo those who think it isn’t or complain loudly that people are still doing it.

Nick

Administrator
Zaha gave a statement to the press saying he thinks it's degrading. Racist?

As on every other thread, disagreeing with the "gesture" (not the meaning behind it) doesn't make you racist. However, for about 3 seconds before the game when it happens I am sure people can contain themselves to just deal with it rather than lose their head.

AOM

As on every other thread, disagreeing with the "gesture" (not the meaning behind it) doesn't make you racist. However, for about 3 seconds before the game when it happens I am sure people can contain themselves to just deal with it rather than lose their head.

Nobody has said if you don't get involved you're a racist (well I don't think so anyway...), but I'd say actively booing and attempting to discourage others from doing so probably is.
As you say, if people don't agree with it they should just keep quiet for a few seconds and respect those who wish to participate

Nick

Administrator
Nobody has said if you don't get involved you're a racist (well I don't think so anyway...), but I'd say actively booing and attempting to discourage others from doing so probably is.
As you say, if people don't agree with it they should just keep quiet for a few seconds and respect those who wish to participate

Like I said, Zaha publically disagreed and said players should "Stand Tall" instead as taking the knee is degrading.

That's some of the issue, you can disagree with the gesture but agree with the meaning.

shmmeee

Heres Zahas statement:

80C009F0-3FC5-436A-8761-3823DBFD96D3.jpeg

He’s very clear that it’s his personal decision and he’s not saying others should stop.

Frostie

The point has been made.

The irony of course with people using QPR as an example, is that for a period of time as a club they decided NOT to take the knee (does nobody remember the furore Sky tried to create for our game vs them last season?). Les Ferdinand was very articulate explaining their reasoning etc.

However they have since changed that stance, following on from Millwall fans booing the knee & feel that it IS actually helping to make the point & resumed it.

As for this incident, very proud of the club for their swift action & full credit to those that reported it, it's very easy to turn a blind eye/ear & not want the confrontation etc.
Hopefully it results in a lifetime ban & proper criminal charges.

shmmeee

Yeah and the other one about it degrading and black players should stand tall instead?

But it's as ajsccfc said!

He didn’t say that he said:

5CEAAE1F-4393-465F-9435-16A904803576.jpeg

Which is about his personal choices again. He explicitly said he’s not telling other people to stop.

Covkid1968#

Where do I send my crumpled poppy to from November to get a full refund. It’s lost the leaf you get on the posher ones and I no longer have a pin.

shmmeee

Keep going, you will get there.

The point is, thinking the gesture (again, not the meaning) is pointless or negative doesn't instantly make you a racist.

And again, no one is saying that. Zaha commented on his personal decision. You are welcome to also not take the knee and explain why. What he didn’t do is boo those taking the knee or make a statement saying others should stop.

Justifying your own actions: fine

Moaning about others actions that in no way impact you: not fine

Users who are viewing this thread