R.I.P. PES (2 Viewers)

Frostie

I know there's a few fans on here, wonder what people think of today's news?
Essentially, becoming a 'free to play' game (with lots of monetised add-ons):

Unbelievable misstep in my opinion & almost certainly the death of the series.
The trailer looks woeful, like PS3 quality despite supposedly taking a year off to work on it? 🤷🏼‍♂️

This thread sums it up pretty well:

AOM

Yep, pretty shocking move from Konami.
I don't play online (is there even an offline this year?) but can't ever imagine wanting to play against a mobile player on my ps4

AOM

Gonna be bullshit for bullshit new generation that like bullshit fluff and not real football sims

Bullshit

They've clearly just seen the mobile gaming market as their focus going forwards.
Think of the dumbed down console controls needed to make it fair against someone on an iphone

Who also thought the idea to release the game with 9 teams was a good idea?

FIFA doesn't look much better, but I'll probably just stick to that now

covcity4life

They've clearly just seen the mobile gaming market as their focus going forwards.
Think of the dumbed down console controls needed to make it fair against someone on an iphone

I will do manual transfers on pes 21 and hopefully someone makes kits option file

After a while will have to make new players and amend stats though

Such a shame they have done this

Reactions: AOM

hill83

I read that phone players need to be using a controller to play against pc or console players.

Either way the games been shit for years anyway and this is the final nail in the coffin.

AOM

I read that phone players need to be using a controller to play against pc or console players.

Either way the games been shit for years anyway and this is the final nail in the coffin.

Ahh fair enough.

Was hoping two years of development would be enough to make the step up needed, but looks like Fifa haven't got any competition now, which is pretty bad for everyone

AOM

Hadnt they been giving it away on Game Pass anyway?

Think so, but at least that was still a full game, rather than some half finished free live service they'll maybe add standard features to further down the line

TomRad85

It is now, Fifa 21 isn't it? They always put the older games on there.
Thats right yes, Fifa 21. I stopped buying them a few years back as I realised it was ridiculous buying the same game every year, but this gives me the chance without feeling ripped off.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Think so, but at least that was still a full game, rather than some half finished free live service they'll maybe add standard features to further down the line
Thing is loads will download it cos free even fifa fans. It will be lauded a success. But old school players will prob be left with no games as fifa is made for 8 yesr old kids too

AOM

Thing is loads will download it cos free even fifa fans. It will be lauded a success. But old school players will prob be left with no games as fifa is made for 8 yesr old kids too

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually makes more money than any previous year.
They've just gone for quantity over quality

Liquid Gold

Hopefully someone new can come in and see a gap in the market. There used to be loads of football games knocking about.

EA just repackage the same shit every year in whatever they do.

covcity4life

It needs a serious looking at by the authorities. It’s literally gambling. Not even disguised.

Not this game specifically. Just these free to play, and even some full price £70 games in general.
It's banned in Denmark and Belgium I believe.

AOM

Used to love that game. You could setup your own customs leagues. We'd have about 8 of us round my mates house pretty much every day.

Haha yeah was great. And having to make your way up from playing on a school field in sunday league to the premiership

shmmeee

On topic, it does look shite but if they’re going to open it up a bit and allow the community to mod it it could get quite interesting. I imagine competing with FIFA is a nightmare because of the licensing. I know the that’s what’s kept me away from PES (I just want to pretend I’m CCFC)

AOM

On topic, it does look shite but if they’re going to open it up a bit and allow the community to mod it it could get quite interesting. I imagine competing with FIFA is a nightmare because of the licensing. I know the that’s what’s kept me away from PES (I just want to pretend I’m CCFC)

They've recently been able to scalp some pretty big licenses from Fifa.
So much so that some Fifa teams have been given the "Rome Reds" treatment, but yeah, I think they've realised they can't compete in the same market, so now are going for more of a Fortnitey mobile service that will make millions on microtransations and DLC.

Their marketing has also always been absolutely shite, so wouldn't be surprised if there is news out later in the year that makes it look more appealing

TomRad85

This was probably my favourite outside of ISS (PES) and FIFA.
b87126f923791c1dd97cce42faada0c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Frostie

I have a feeling modding may be thing of past now for pes

Agreed, think they've thrown away one of their biggest USPs there.

I just can't see this being a success at all & it appears that they've now admitted it won't even be next gen (think it was fairly obvious from the graphics/trailer anyway). I imagine they'll get loads of downloads initially as it's free but with very little modes & substandard quality throughout the player base will die off very, very quickly.

Standard Konami shooting themselves in the foot I'm afraid.

Skybluefaz

Also it's such a shame there have been no console management sims for years. I know FM has a version coming to xbox. I'm talking more about the games made for console like LMA manager back in the day and premier manager, player manager etc

Users who are viewing this thread