Quiz : First and Lasts of Coventry City (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Yesterdays shirt sponsor quiz didn't go as badly as I anticipated so if anyone is interested, I'll put this up as well.

Coventry Firsts and Lasts. 10 questions with a max of 11 points available due to one question having a bonus point.

I've tried to keep the questions obscure enough to be uncomfortable but only one is before 1980 so you should all have a reasonable chance. Same "get out of jail" card as yesterday: the answers have been taken from multiple online sources so there's a <5% chance of them being correct.

Good luck....

------------------

1) We've all been told about the mad scenes with 55000 fans at Highfield Road for our penultimate home game in the Second Division against Wolves in April 1967. Some members may even have been there. But who was our first home opponent in Division 1 after our promotion in 1966/67 ?

2) 1986/87 was a wonderous season. But prior to our visit to Wembley, who was our last league game of the season against ?

3) 1992/93 brought Sky money, big international names and great football to Highfield Road. Who was the first goalscorer for Coventry in the Premiership ?

4) And following on from that new era of top flight football, who was our first manager in the Premiership ?

5) Not something we see very often. Who was the last player to score a hattrick for us in a first team game (Cup or league) ?

6) The era of darkness. What was the last game of Steven Pressley's managership ?

7) Amadou Bakayoko introduced us to "20 goals a season" mania. Or so we thought. Dion Dublin had held the record for that feat since 1997/98. But who was the last person before Dion to go past 20 goals in a season ?

8) Callum Wilson and James Maddison were proud ex-Coventry players who represented England at the 2022 World Cup. Can you name the last player to play at the World Cup finals whilst playing for Coventry City ?

9) We said goodbye to Highfield Road and hello to the Ricoh Arena. But who was the first to break the net for us at the Ricoh Arena ?
Bonus point : Who scored the other 2 in our 3-0 win ?

10) Finally, we have a member on the forum called I Saw Shaw Score in honour of Richard Shaw and his one goal after 300 games and 10 great years of service to Coventry. But who were the opponents that saw Shaw score his first (and only) goal for the club ?

Take time to think these through (no online searches please). I'll try and hold back on answer giving as much as I can so the quiz is available for those logging in later.

Grendel

I’ll just guess through it

Nottingham Forest
Southampton
John Williams
Bobby Gould
Marc Mcnulty
Sheffield United
Terry Gibson
Stern John
Jorgannsun and Mcsheffrey
Gillingham

Happy_Martian

I’ll just guess through it

Nottingham Forest
Southampton
John Williams
Bobby Gould
Marc Mcnulty
Sheffield United
Terry Gibson
Stern John
Jorgannsun and Mcsheffrey
Gillingham

8/10 and no bonus point, I'm afraid.

JimmyHillsbeard

1) forest
2) soton
3) John Williams
4) booby Gould
5) McNulty
6) Sheff Utd (away)
7) Ian Wallace
8) Stern John
9) Claus Jorgensen
- Adebola and McSheffrey
10) Gillingham

1) We've all been told about the mad scenes with 55000 fans at Highfield Road for our penultimate home game in the Second Division against Wolves in April 1967. Some members may even have been there. But who was our first home opponent in Division 1 after our promotion in 1966/67 ?

2) 1986/87 was a wonderous season. But prior to our visit to Wembley, who was our last league game of the season against ?

3) 1992/93 brought Sky money, big international names and great football to Highfield Road. Who was the first goalscorer for Coventry in the Premiership ?

4) And following on from that new era of top flight football, who was our first manager in the Premiership ?

5) Not something we see very often. Who was the last player to score a hattrick for us in a first team game (Cup or league) ?

6) The era of darkness. What was the last game of Steven Pressley's managership ?

7) Amadou Bakayoko introduced us to "20 goals a season" mania. Or so we thought. Dion Dublin had held the record for that feat since 1997/98. But who was the last person before Dion to go past 20 goals in a season ?

8) Callum Wilson and James Maddison were proud ex-Coventry players who represented England at the 2022 World Cup. Can you name the last player to play at the World Cup finals whilst playing for Coventry City ?

9) We said goodbye to Highfield Road and hello to the Ricoh Arena. But who was the first to break the net for us at the Ricoh Arena ?
Bonus point : Who scored the other 2 in our 3-0 win ?

10) Finally, we have a member on the forum called I Saw Shaw Score in honour of Richard Shaw and his one goal after 300 games and 10 great years of service to Coventry. But who were the opponents that saw Shaw score his first (and only) goal for the club ?

Take time to think these through (no online searches please). I'll try and hold back on answer giving as much as I can so the quiz is available for those logging in later.

Calista

In your preamble to question 1, I think the official attendance for the Wolves game was 51,000 or so (but there was so much chaos that 55000 is possible!) And yes I was there :)
I also have picture in my head of being at the first home game in Div 1, and in my mind's eye I'm seeing Sheffield Utd. Memory might be playing tricks of course.
No need to say whether I am right or wrong, if it would spoil the quiz.
I would probably only get about 4 of the other questions.

Happy_Martian

1) forest
2) soton
3) John Williams
4) booby Gould
5) McNulty
6) Sheff Utd (away)
7) Ian Wallace
8) Stern John
9) Claus Jorgensen
- Adebola and McSheffrey
10) Gillingham

9/10 and no bonus point. Sorry.

Happy_Martian

In your preamble to question 1, I think the official attendance for the Wolves game was 51,000 or so (but there was so much chaos that 55000 is possible!) And yes I was there :)
I also have picture in my head of being at the first home game in Div 1, and in my mind's eye I'm seeing Sheffield Utd. Memory might be playing tricks of course.

The urban legend is that we were over 55K but the figures I've seen reported are closer to 51K. Regardless, must have been one hell of an atmosphere. And to beat Wolves 3-1 as well. My mind can't imagine what it was like.

Calista

The urban legend is that we were over 55K but the figures I've seen reported are closer to 51K. Regardless, must have been one hell of an atmosphere. And to beat Wolves 3-1 as well. My mind can't imagine what it was like.
It was awesome, like nothing else I've ever witnessed!

Gynnsthetonic

Sheff Utd
Southampton
John Williams
Bobby Gould
McNulty
Sheff Utd
Ian Wallace
Chris Birchall
Clause Jorgenson
Adebola McSheffrey
Gllingham

steve cooper

First home game was Forest, I'm sure. the game where Frank Wignall broke George Curtis' leg.

Grendel

The only reason I guess Forest was that I knew Curtis broke his leg against them

Grendel

Didn't Max score a hat trick in a cup game v S'oton U21s or some such, at St Andrews.

Most stats don’t recognise those as official games even though fans on here love to

Grendel

Thinking about it I’m not sure the international has been correctly answered

NortonSkyBlue

1 Sheffield United
2 Southampton
3 john Williams
4 Bobby Gould
5 Marc McNulty
6. Sheffield United
7 Ian Wallace
8 stern John
9 Claus Jorgenson abebola
10.Gillingham

Johhny Blue

Thinking about it I’m not sure the international has been correctly answered
I got most right but couldn’t think of the first game. (Strangely I remember the second was Derby. I think the international was Roussel who had’nt played a game yet but was signed

Hod dog

1) forest
2) soton
3) John Williams
4) booby Gould
5) Godden, those two christmas back to back ones
6) Sheff Utd (away)
7) Ian Wallace
8) Stern John
9) Claus Jorgensen
- Adebola scored twice
10) Gillingham

Happy_Martian

Sheff Utd
Southampton
John Williams
Bobby Gould
McNulty
Sheff Utd
Ian Wallace
Chris Birchall
Clause Jorgenson
Adebola McSheffrey
Gllingham

9 points and no bonus, sorry.
Didn't Max score a hat trick in a cup game v S'oton U21s or some such, at St Andrews.

Not a first team result so it wouldn't have counted in this quiz.
1 Sheffield United
2 Southampton
3 john Williams
4 Bobby Gould
5 Marc McNulty
6. Sheffield United
7 Ian Wallace
8 stern John
9 Claus Jorgenson abebola
10.Gillingham
10/10 with bonus. Congratulations (y)

1) forest
2) soton
3) John Williams
4) booby Gould
5) Godden, those two christmas back to back ones
6) Sheff Utd (away)
7) Ian Wallace
8) Stern John
9) Claus Jorgensen
- Adebola scored twice
10) Gillingham

Correct, 10 out of 10 with a correct bonus.

And I have to issue apologies to all respondents. As I indicated originally, my sources online were accurate or so I thought. @Hod dog has correctly said Godden was the last hattrick scorer whereas my info had McNulty but his was the season before Matty's. So anyone with Q5 as Marc McNulty, I have still maintained your point but please reprimand yourselves for forgetting a) two consecutive hattricks from our second highest scorer and b) they weren't that long ago in 2019 :ROFLMAO:

Grendel

Was Clayton Ince still with us when he played in the same tournament as Stern John?

Happy_Martian

Thank you to all who have played along. Hope it's whiled away a couple of hours for you all.

Happy_Martian

Was Clayton Ince still with us when he played in the same tournament as Stern John?

Yes. He played in a game for us then flew out to Germany to meet up with the Trinidad squad. Ince was named in the squad but I don't believe he played in that World Cup. I was actually surprised that we haven't had more recent World Cup goers than those two. Without going through all the squads for all entrants since 2008, I will not be checking back.

Happy_Martian

Ummmm? By what reckoning?

Did the Checkatrade Final win count as a first team result? Asking for a friend.
My bad. Just re-read your comment and yes, the group stages of the Whateveritscalled Cup would have counted. I saw you type U-21s and went onto autopilot, thinking you were referring to youth competition. I blame speed reading as I was responding to a number of quiz entries. Apologies Harry.

Calista

Thinking about this (and I still haven't looked anything up) surely our first top flight game was a 2-1 defeat at Burnley where our goal was an own goal?
If so, the Forest match where Curtis broke his leg was only the second match anyway.

Happy_Martian

Thinking about this (and I still haven't looked anything up) surely our first top flight game was a 2-1 defeat at Burnley where our goal was an own goal?
If so, the Forest match where Curtis broke his leg was only the second match anyway.
This is where I got my information:

1693512562128.png

It also surprised me that we played Forest away in week 2 and then home in week 4. Not like todays fixtures where the games are spread much wider across the season.

Calista

Yes so as I thought, it was Burnley away, then Forest away, before the first home game against Sheffield Utd.

Grendel

I think the message here is just leave the quizzing to the quiz master

Happy_Martian

I think the message here is just leave the quizzing to the quiz master

Not when that quizmaster is me. I need to be challenged on anything I type as 90% of it is complete garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread