Question (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

What division do you feel will be our "natural position" where we can thrive and rebuild ?

Teams like Southampton, Norwich etc have dropped and come back stronger..

You could see the same happening to teams like Charlton, Sheff Wed, Preston etc in years to come...

Would League One be our turn around point and where the place the club finally gets a "winning mentality", or could it be better / worse than that ?

CovScott88

If I'm being completely honest, I couldn't see us coming back up any time soon if we go down. We don't have enough core fans, we don't generate enough money and our owners don't give a toss. I like the thought of the rebuilding process, but lets face it, we would be far more likely to do a Bradford than a Leeds/Leicester/Southampton/Norwich.

ccfcway

Thing is, I dont like the thought of a rebuilding process..

I like the thought of 2 decent loan players from the prem, enabling us to stay up this season, give the kids experience, be on the sound finiancial footing that SISU believe we will be, and then be ready for a push for the play offs next season...

I can see your senerio happening before this Scott

:whistle:

Lord_Nampil

I disagree with the going down and struggling! If u look what thorn has done he has brought in young players from the academy and all have stepped up! The problem we dont have is time! But you can see by the end of this season what ever position we finish in the players who have come in will provide the foundations for our future! I see Southampton is mentioned and they did the same! Only a hand full of there academy players left when they were in the league below! Now look where they are!! Is that what I want??? Not really but at the moment it seems it's the only way forward with limited funds! As a whole club we need a flip in confidence, how that will happen I don't no!!!

Nonleagueherewecome

If SISU remain at the helm, we will have to do our "rebuilding and recovery" on a "level playing field" where our former Championship peers Luton and Grimsby are now doing it. Yes, it's non-league here we come!!!

Grendel

I disagree with the going down and struggling! If u look what thorn has done he has brought in young players from the academy and all have stepped up! The problem we dont have is time! But you can see by the end of this season what ever position we finish in the players who have come in will provide the foundations for our future! I see Southampton is mentioned and they did the same! Only a hand full of there academy players left when they were in the league below! Now look where they are!! Is that what I want??? Not really but at the moment it seems it's the only way forward with limited funds! As a whole club we need a flip in confidence, how that will happen I don't no!!!

Big difference with Southampton is they had 30,000 fans behind them. They got rid of the idiot who now runs our club and there was a wave of mementum and they had Lambert a proven prolifc goalscorer.

Nonleagueherewecome

Have a look again at the Southampton team that struggled. Not that many are stars, and the likes of Lancashire have proved more Grandison than Davenport. Plenty of youngsters break into teams like ours when there is nobody else-only to drop down the divisions later in their careers.

Nonleagueherewecome

I can almost hear Ken now..

"After our relegation to L2, we are facing greatly reduced TV and gate income. No longer can this club afford to spend beyond it's means, which is why every first-team player is now available on a free transfer in a bid to drastically reduce overheads. We have to cut our cloth accordingly, and without owning our own stadium and having inherited significant debts, we unfortunately have one of the bottom 2-3 budgets in the division...we hope the fans will continue to back the owners as we continue to move the club towards being a self-sustaining business..."

Lord_Nampil

Big difference with Southampton is they had 30,000 fans behind them. They got rid of the idiot who now runs our club and there was a wave of mementum and they had Lambert a proven prolifc goalscorer.

The thing is 5 seasons ago we averaged 20,000 home fans a game nearly now it's 11,000 Southamptons fans came bk because the whole club has gone from being a negative club to a positive one in 2 seasons! Winning a trophy really helped them and that's what brought fans back!!

Paxman II

Too much deep thought going on here. We may not be promotion busting challengers and the likes of Southampton, Brighton etc have a long season ahead! We are playing some good football, learning rapidly and only just missing out on points (Palace, Yesterday) at this still early stage with some great young players proving as good as any in this league and the fire is yet to be ignited. I have watched enough teams now to suggest we are most certainly by far not the worst team in this league. We can rebuild from where we are in preparation for the new rules and with our young squad and manager will be in a far better position than the likes of Leicester, Forest and co who will no doubt implode if promotion fails to materialise.

PS: I think we will beat Blackpool Tuesday and 9 points mid table will not be such a bad place right now. There would be some satisfaction at that tbh.

Astute

Winning teams bring in bigger crowds. The odds are you would get more fans in being near the top of Div 1 than bumping along the bottom of the championship like we have nearly all the time since we went down. The higher the division you are in the higher the crowds. It is just like a cup run. The further you go the more that want to watch. It is the expectancy that draws the fans in. Big crowds do not mean you will win promotion though. If it did then how do Scunny ever get promotion? Big crowds don't save you from relegation either, for instance Dirty Leeds or Sheff Weds.

StevieM

I think we all realistically need to look at the plight of Plymouth ( a team we could never beat either) as a model of just what could(and most probably would) happen to us if we were to get relegated.
They to have immense financial problems and look doomed to non-league football.
It is very much rose tinted glasses to think that we would do a Southampton, and as already posted we do not have the fan base of either Sheffield teams to finance our return.
Unfortunately our ever decreasing support need to keep faith in our squad of players and get behind them and hopefully pull clear of the relegation zone.
Me personally I would take 17th now if it meant that we could regroup and try to make a fist of it for next season.
PUSB

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've said this before on these threads and I'll say it again... City have NEVER finished higher than 6th in any league since 1970. That's 42 years guys.
We're the only club in this league who have not been in the play-offs - ever!
If we get relegated you can say goodbye to any hope of getting back up.
And even if we went down and came back to the Championship, we'd have to go through all this again!
We need to do something NOW because with our history, we've had it if something positive doesn't come along soon!
Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how it is.

OyJimmy

I've said this before on these threads and I'll say it again... City have NEVER finished higher than 6th in any league since 1970. That's 42 years guys.
And even if we went down and came back to the Championship, we'd have to go through all this again!
We need to do something NOW because with our history, we've had it if something positive doesn't come along soon!

Scary but true

ccfcway

Depressing isnt it !

I would LOVE a bit of success, hell, 3 wins in a row would start the open top bus campaign !

Users who are viewing this thread