Question for those living outside of Coventry Re. the future of your support (1 Viewer)

chorlton

Hi there. I'd really like the opinions of those fans who live out of the city on this thread if possible.

Anyway, whenever CCFC are discussed folk naturally talk about "the people of Coventry". However many of us don't live in Coventry despite our support of the club. This might be because you've moved away, your parents moved away (that's me) or you support the club for some other reason (I've heard a few odd ones).

Whatever reason, folk like us form a sizeable part of the support. However, maybe it's those people who'll be more likely to turn away from the club than those in the City as they will have less options?

My eldest boy is now at the age (5) where I always planned to bring him to the City for his first game. I had a plan in operation to make him jealous of me and his Grandad going to games, buy him lots of merchandise and then wait for the right one to get him hooked (while at the same time beat off the attentions of the local clubs plus Man Utd, Chelsea etc). Sadly, we lost his Grandad a couple of years ago and this year I've decided, like many, not to go to home games. That doesn't look like changing for some time. Meanwhile his friends are getting free tickets to the local club and offering us some too. I'm at the point of just giving in and encouraging him to support his local team (well, it is a very good reason to support a team). With that though will be the likely end to my attendance at CCFC on a regular basis.

So, that's me. Just one person out of many but what about you? Are there others who feel the same? How do you feel this will affect the support when the club does return to Coventry? Surely there will a lot of 'out-of-towners' missing? Maybe even the youngsters who live in Cov and are my kids age will be drawn elsewhere?

RFC

My grandson and grand daughters will go to see our, my favourite club whenever and as soon as possible, in the short-term if that's Northampton & Sixfields, so be it! PUSB

oakey

I'm an exile living in Dudley. I won't go to home games until the club return to Coventry. Fortunately my kids are grown and my son comes with me now to away games.
It will not affect my support as there is no other team for me. However, it has already affected my personal life as I visited family in Coventry on match days and now that my parents have passed away I will see the rest of my family less frequently. This is a real shame and I guess it will weaken the ties many of us exiles have with the city of our birth... Loss of revenue for the city's businesses, loss of contact for others. IMO some of the exiles are amongst the most loyal, both to the club and to the city.

ohitsaidwalker king power

My grandson and grand daughters will go to see our, my favourite club whenever and as soon as possible, in the short-term if that's Northampton & Sixfields, so be it! PUSB

Perhaps you live on a glade- just over the brow of the hill next to the little house on the prairie such is your idyllic world -or is it in a wooded area so blind are you that you can't see the wood for the trees....no I got it.... the wild wild west...surely even you can spot the cowboys?

J

Jack Griffin

For me it is simply a matter of principle, I won't go to Sixfields, I can afford to & I could make the time, I just won't!

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

My grandchildren would be intelligent enough to know that going to Sixfields would put money into the pocket of the people who are responsible for taking their team away from it's home.

skybluetony176

getting back on topic

I'm from Rugby. the 1st premiership team i went to see was Coventry, sold on my 1st visit to HR.

North York’s Blue

I was a season ticket holder until this season, I won't go to Sixfields out of principle no matter how well we're playing. Away games only (Walsall will be my 4th this season). Like someone said above, not coming up to Cov on match days also means I see less of my family so it's having an effect that way. My 2 lads are late teens/early 20's and both Liverpool fans but both have seen a lot of Cov games and also won't go to Sixfields; following my lead I suppose.

It won't affect my support long term; as soon as the club returns to Cov then so will I.

westofrayne

City born, Moved to Essex 17 year ago when Marconi (GEC) Opened new offices in Stratford London. Promised Mrs no more season tickets. Finally kept my promise this season, was ST holder till then, wife gave up and got me a PSL when they came out. Very pround to say both my children Will(15), Issy (12) have been ST holders since they were 5. Even living in Ipswich/Colchester/West Ham land they still were drawn to City (Does help they started going at 4, got a great piccy of Will at 6 weeks old in East Stand at HFR).

This season I had to sit down and explain why I was not going to get season tickets or go to home games, it was a very difficult conversation and one I never thought I would have. Both children understand to certain degreese to problems although we are quite sheltered in Essex.

Having said that we have only missed 1 away game, and plan to get to as many as possible.

Would I go to Northampton, no whilst I have breath in my body. Do I support my team? Yes but not the move away from the city.

What do I want?

1. Cov playing back in the city, where ? That is a goood question, but would prefer Ricoh for now, but that depends on the circumstances of te rental/sales agreement

2. Owners who want the best for the team, yes make a profit, but dont shaft the club in the process

3. All factions of the supporters to stop fighting and get behind the team, it has been great to see a major change this season where the fans are not getting on the teams back even when they make mistakes.

4. Win the lottery!

Hobo

I live in Coventry, but have experienced living elsewhere and following the Sky Blues. Basically you support who,you support!

I used to take in the odd neutral game and still do but I only have real heart for my home town club.

I emphasis real heart for my home town club, not SISU. I want to see my team winning and they are, but my efforts are in supporting them away....because I don't support us playing in Northampton! SISU make your offer!

torchomatic

Wasn't born in Coventry but my Dad was, in Earlsdon. I've always gone to see the City and I miss it desperately. I feel more for my son who really is Coventry City mad and it's a real shame for him. I'm not going to see the team again until they're back in Coventry. Last game I went to with my lad was the friendly at Oxford during the Summer. I think I'm being selfish depriving of going to see the team we love, but then I realise it's not me being selfish, it's SISU. He does keep badgering me to go to Sixfields but I've been resolute so far.

Sub

i live in stoke on trent had a season ticket for many years (cant remeber exactly from the highfield road days ) did not buy a season ticket this year totally pissed off with the situation been to a couple of stoke games (got free tickets) but just felt wrong sat there watching a team that wasnt my home town team, at the stage now where dont worry about if we win or lose look to see the reults at some point after the game not even fussed about trying to listen to it or even bother putting on the footy ap on my phone.
so all i all i am losing intrest im the team, not fussed if we get promoted, relegated or sell all the players in january. just want my home team back in coventry then i will start to come back to watch a few games and then will think about getting my season ticket again.going to bide my time and enjoy time away from football and just enjoy doing the prediction leauge on here and not worry about how the city do and have it ruin my day if they lose.

RPHunt

It has been a long time since I lived in Coventry and the Sky Blues were one of the few links that I have left to the city.

Watching them in Northampton is not part of that link and I will not be going to Sixfields even though it would cut 30+ miles off my journey each way.

orig skyblue87

Ive moved to Blackpool twice from Coventry as my kids live here, i wont attend at NTFC but my love and passion for all things Cov hasnt changed. I went over to Holland for pre-season and also went to Fleetwood. So far due to work havent been able to get to an away game, have been in Cov on 2 occasions this season and frustratingly both games have been at *home.

Still read CT everyday, have CWR on everyday and want the best for the club manager and players, my son whos now 14 had a few City shirts and been to a few games but my kids were born here and when i separated for there mum, my twatty brother in law started taking him to Blackpool games, thankfully hes bored of that now, but dont really mention us either.

Monners

I sense that this thread will become a bit of an emotional journey for some, me included, so here goes:

I will obviously always be a Cov fan; not just of the club but my home town. I have two kids, a girl of 13 and a lad of 7 (also a football mad nephew of 17). All were born in Northampton but are Coventry fans. My girl and my nephew have been to seen Cov on many occasions, and my nephew only supports Cov on th back of this as he has no other connection to the City apart from my support to the club. My son has never been but is now showing a keen interest in wanting to do so, primarily, like as most lads of his age, he wants to be like his Dad. This is clearly hurtful, as I can't take him and experience growing up wth Cov in a similar way to myself i.e. going with Dad to support the team in the place that matters so much to us as a family. This hurts.

To put the above iin perspective; the circumstance in which I support Cov is down to my Dad who moved over from Dublin in 1948 at the age of 17, and being football mad, started folowing the local team. He went all over the country to support them, and saw us rise through the divisions to the top flight after years of under acheivement and misery. I know the history of our club due to my late father. who died in 1988, and watched the Cup final from his hospital bed not long after being diagnosed with the illness that killed him. I missed going the final and didn't really bother with trying to get there as I had never been to a game without him.

I left Cov in 1974 as we moved to Northamptonshire to be neare to my Dads work in the building trade. However, I still feel something for my home town due pruely to the football club and our family links to the City. My children will miss out on this unless something doesn't change soon.

Anyway, thats we are at the momernt

robbiethemole

I've lived all my life in Rugby, but the old boy came from Allesley, and him and Mum used to go to watch them in the 30's.He and my brother took me to see them most Boxing Day games and then my bro took me from about 6. My first game on my own was April 1967, against the dogheads and when Mum found out how many were there, she went mental hahahaha!!!After that I always went with a pal, so I've been going a long while, and my youngest son has already clocked up 11 years as he used to get tickets from SBITC sessions, he's now 17 and well pissed off at the shambles of our Club. We dont go to Northampton,but we do most of the aways, I usually wear my SISU OUT Jim Guevara shirt.

I'm an ex Chelsea supporter as it was my nearest local team. Moved to Warwickshire and changed my allegiance to my now local team.

I'm working on my eldest grandson, who isn't quite old enough to attend matches, and will indoctrinate name when the time's right with a JSB season ticket.............. only at the Ricoh though.

georgehudson

it's just an horrendous shame that the sisu / otium, cohorts are suitably or conveniently, blind / deaf, to the facts that this (Coventry City), is a club with huge potential,
i, have been a total fan, since the 50's,
year after year as a season ticket holder,
yet i am now unable to follow my team,
there are many factions involved, who trot out their rehearsed mantra,
for the sake of fans sanity,
& by the way there would be large attendances,
to all parties,
BRING THEM HOME
PUSB

Big Chris

I work in Brum, live in Soliull. I too support the NOPM line and will not go to Sixfields.
The away game at Wolves was a reminder of the passion and pride we have as CCFC fans. Wolves forums talked about us celebrating the equaliser as if we had won the FA cup - they weren't far off the mark. In such desperate times I take every goal, every point and especially every thrilling win as a landmark occasion.
I took my two boys to their first game last season (4 & 6) and they had Sky Blue Sams for Xmas!! - so I am gutted I can't further their link with the club more this season.
PUSB

TurkeyTrot

I work in Brum, live in Soliull. I too support the NOPM line and will not go to Sixfields.
The away game at Wolves was a reminder of the passion and pride we have as CCFC fans. Wolves forums talked about us celebrating the equaliser as if we had won the FA cup - they weren't far off the mark. In such desperate times I take every goal, every point and especially every thrilling win as a landmark occasion.
I took my two boys to their first game last season (4 & 6) and they had Sky Blue Sams for Xmas!! - so I am gutted I can't further their link with the club more this season.
PUSB

I wish those that have the power to change things would read this thread...

smouch1975

Coventry is my home town. My love and my club. I will probably take my lad along to watch Perth Glory more. He has no ties to Cov

Supporting NOPM, has ment no shirts or other trinkets this year. No Christmas presents or Birthday presents from the club to my son or his cousins.

This needs fixing, or this families links to the City will just become a memory and not an active part of life. Keeping the plates though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382570222.608711.jpg

mark82

My grandchildren would be intelligent enough to know that going to Sixfields would put money into the pocket of the people who are responsible for taking their team away from it's home.

Please do not get so personal. This sort of thing is going to far. You can disagree but insults like that are crossing the line. The guy is just supporting OUR football club in the way he thinks best. His grand kids may be too young to have an opinion on the politics of our situation. They will have more chance if becoming loyal fans than those of stay away fans. Let kids be kids for gods sake. If they want to watch CCFC then let them.

Last edited:
Coventry is my home town. My love and my club. I will probably take my lad along to watch Perth Glory more. He has no ties to Cov

Supporting NOPM, has ment no shirts or other trinkets this year. No Christmas presents or Birthday presents from the club to my son or his cousins.

This needs fixing, or this families links to the City will just become a memory and not an active part of life. Keeping the plates though. 
View attachment 2997

Wouldn't have thought the extra travelling to Sixfields would be affecting you too much then.;)

mark82

Wasn't born in Coventry but my Dad was, in Earlsdon. I've always gone to see the City and I miss it desperately. I feel more for my son who really is Coventry City mad and it's a real shame for him. I'm not going to see the team again until they're back in Coventry. Last game I went to with my lad was the friendly at Oxford during the Summer. I think I'm being selfish depriving of going to see the team we love, but then I realise it's not me being selfish, it's SISU. He does keep badgering me to go to Sixfields but I've been resolute so far.

I agree with you but if he wants to go then take him. Some things are bigger than what these idiots are doing to our club, your kids is one of them. I'm not going to go, not yet at least, my little girl is far too young yet. If she was old enough and really wanted to go I would take her.

I am sick of the politics and feel like caving but its not the right thing for me at this time but please don't let your lad be lost to another team because the only footy he can watch is the premier league on TV. This situation is hopefully temporary, his support will be for life.

Disclaimer: Obviously I don't know how old he is. I'm assuming he is youngish.

oscillatewildly

Just recently moved to a suburb of B'ham, moved in with partner. That certainly wouldn't have stopped me coming back for selected home games, the move to Northampton has. Even if I was living next door to the stadium, I would not attend. My head won't be turned by another (ok, I may nip up to see Sutton Coldfield every now and then) This is just another chapter in the trials & tribulations of being a Coventry City supporter. Hold tight kids, we will get back to Cov (where ever) In the meantime, wear your abstinence with pride, knowing that you're doing the right thing.

From An Expat

I was born in Coventry but now I'm an expat & have been since 1969.

I have no plans to return to the U.K. anytime soon but my heart is with Coventry City FC. I can't imagine having more than in just a passing interest in any other club.

I am very isolated from the turmoil that engulfs the club, the city & the fans & I want what is best for each of those three groups. I want a steady & secure advancement to the Premier & then a team that will regularly beat Villa & be safe in that division preferably with players that have come from our Academy. I want European football. I don't want to be part of 'the joke' of the Midlands as the club is now.

Please, someone, take charge & get us back to the promised land of the Premier League.

steveo1987

I live in a village near Buckingham and have a season ticket regardless.My five year old goes with me to all the games as I will not deprive him or myself of seeing this fantastic team.No regrets,it's about the players not the politics.

skyblueiom

Born and bred Cov, but now live in the Isle of Man. Used to love going up to Highfield Road as a kid with my dad, and then with mates. Always tried to see a few games a season when visiting family back in the city and any away games if I was in the country.

Sadly my son has no interest in football (probably after two awful City home games in the Championship), so its just down to me. I am firmly anti SISU and wouldn't support the ground being sold to them - being in the hedge fund business I just know that the game is about one thing and one thing only - GREED.

Very sad state of affairs, but my love for the game has diminished in general as money has ruined it for me.

joemercersaces

My dad was born in Cov, me in Nuneaton and I now live in Southam.

Used to envy dad going out to watch matches, read the programmes he brought back avidly and pestered him to take me. Finally went in 1969 aged 6, still recall the excitement of the walk up King Richard Street and the first ever emerging into a stand to see the green pitch and the magical goalposts and nets. Went with him ever afterwards, early seventies in the West End, fascinated, appalled and excited by the aggro and the chanting. Started going on my own or with mates, drifted away a bit in the eighties as I was playing rugby but came back.

Dad's last game before he died of brain cancer was the last match at Highfield Road. You can see him on the video and I often do. He never saw The Ricoh.

I have a son aged 12 and a stepson aged 14. One supports Arsenal, the other Man Utd. I was taking them both and gradually both were becoming Cov diehards, they just didn't realise it.

I won't set foot in Sixfields ever. SISU had no right, no right at all to remove Coventry City from Coventry because it suited them. They are not Coventry City, we are. They might own it but we were all there for city before them and will re there long after them. They should be ashamed of what they are doing. I just hope that the overwhelming refusal to support this illegitimate move forces them to abandon it sooner rather than later.

The future? I have a season ticket this year at Coventry Rugby Club where I can take the lads for free and enjoy an afternoon of Coventry sport, plus a few away matches. I'll be back when City are back, just don't know about the lads. I hope so because like with me it's a way that lads can bond with their dads, a loyalty and a love they can share.

Stafford_SkBlue

Back to the thread;
I don't think you can force your Children, when living away, to support CCFC.
I was born in Cov, my parents having moved there just before. Dad was an Arsenal supporter, I made up my mind up to Support CCFC which was during Jimmy Hill's reign. Dad did take me once to see the Gunners!!
I'm glad I supported my local team, now I have moved away (1982), both my Children are girls, the youngest did come to some matches in the mid '90's.
My advice is to take your son to see the local team, which you did not mention who that was. It does not mean you give up CCFC.

SkyblueBazza

Perhaps you live on a glade- just over the brow of the hill next to the little house on the prairie such is your idyllic world -or is it in a wooded area so blind are you that you can't see the wood for the trees....no I got it.... the wild wild west...surely even you can spot the cowboys?

Completely unnecessary response

Voice_of_Reason

Hi there. I'd really like the opinions of those fans who live out of the city on this thread if possible.

Anyway, whenever CCFC are discussed folk naturally talk about "the people of Coventry". However many of us don't live in Coventry despite our support of the club. This might be because you've moved away, your parents moved away (that's me) or you support the club for some other reason (I've heard a few odd ones).

Whatever reason, folk like us form a sizeable part of the support. However, maybe it's those people who'll be more likely to turn away from the club than those in the City as they will have less options?

My eldest boy is now at the age (5) where I always planned to bring him to the City for his first game. I had a plan in operation to make him jealous of me and his Grandad going to games, buy him lots of merchandise and then wait for the right one to get him hooked (while at the same time beat off the attentions of the local clubs plus Man Utd, Chelsea etc). Sadly, we lost his Grandad a couple of years ago and this year I've decided, like many, not to go to home games. That doesn't look like changing for some time. Meanwhile his friends are getting free tickets to the local club and offering us some too. I'm at the point of just giving in and encouraging him to support his local team (well, it is a very good reason to support a team). With that though will be the likely end to my attendance at CCFC on a regular basis.

So, that's me. Just one person out of many but what about you? Are there others who feel the same? How do you feel this will affect the support when the club does return to Coventry? Surely there will a lot of 'out-of-towners' missing? Maybe even the youngsters who live in Cov and are my kids age will be drawn elsewhere?

I live 36 miles south of the Ricoh -- I wouldn't go to Sixfields even if I lived in Coventry (my City of birth) - probably 60 miles from where I live to Sixfields -- supporters outside Coventry were not even considered - I reckon a good 25% live outside Coventry at least, maybe as high as 50%.

SkyblueBazza

My only association with Coventry the City is the odd night out in younger times, a couple of business meetings & CCFC. Became a Skyblue at 13 rather than be a sheep (Vile, WBA, Wolves & the usual suspects mostly followed by mates/family). Travelled alone by buses & trains to get to virtually all games at HR...& some away ones too. There in '87 & beyond.

Have not & will not go near Sickfields...not even Jimmy's Hill. My take on our situation - hate the way our owners conduct themselves (i.e. Can pay, won't pay started that stance). I agree with their goal of uniting club & stadium being the way forward...do not like their tactics. Don't much care who owns the club - I just want my share of it back where it belongs. In the locality, & more firmly in my heart.

Moston

Born in Coventry, but moved away when I was just 3 yrs old. (in the 1960's).

My Wolves supporting Granddad was the only footballing influence in my life and as I grew up in Brum then Cromer (Norfolk) he always re-affirmed that I was a Coventry City supporter, that's where I was born, stick with them through thick and thin.

I have.

I've lived in Essex for 24 years now. In the early days I got to HR fairly regularly (£ being the biggest restriction). Away games in London were always done.

Sadly I now have caring responsibilities which prohibit having much free time on Saturdays - even if Cov were at the Ricoh I'd struggle to get there very often.

I resolutely REFUSE to go to Sixfields and will not part with any of my money to SISU in merchandise etc. It's worth noting that Northampton is closer to me.

I've been to a few away games when time permits and my blood is still Sky Blue.

Due to 'clocking off' from caring responsibilities about 2:30pm on Saturdays any journey to a game is almost impossible so I began to follow non-league Chelmsford City. (10 min walk from home). It's been great and I've seen a few ex-Cov players/managers down 'ere.
It's great, but it's not 'right' as my heart is always with the Sky Blues as the fellow 'Clarets' behind the goal are fully aware :)

Children? - two daughters - both loved Cov in their early days - both totally lost interest now, now that trips to the Ricoh are off the cards. Living isolated in Essex we get zero TV coverage, zero mentions, we see no other fans.
Visits to see the team in Cov was the only life-line I had to keep them hooked. So YES, a generation IS being lost and I will not sell my soul (or theirs) by going to Sixfields. I've brought them up to have principals and stick to them.

My dream was to have Cov under new owners at the Ricoh. NOW? - just to have Cov back at the Ricoh with the potential of new owners in the future will do for me then perhaps...perhaps...I may get my daughters to come with me again.

PUSB.

skybluebal

Moved to Surrey 23 years ago and went to as many home games (in Coventry) and away games as I could. 240 miles round trip for me to Cov, but like others I combined it with a visit to parents and family (and in-laws!). Kids are 26 & 23 and because I brought them up on Coventry that's their team also and they travel with me. Sometimes when they are really down about the City and where we are, they do ask why they could not have been born in Manchester or Liverpool etc As I tell them, you can choose your friends but not your family and home town club :)

However, when they do have kids who will they support? We live in commuting distance to London - take your pick. The club needs to get back to Coventry asap and start thinking about its fan base. Once lost they won't be back.

I remember on GMK (?) that there used to be a map of where all the fans were located. Would be great to get such a map put together somehow. I know an ex Cov kid who moved to Michigan 25 years ago. A few years ago I gave him a CCFC shirt and he wears that when he does his marathons in Detroit!

I only now go to away games when I can. PUSB.

Users who are viewing this thread