Quality of league one and championship (1 Viewer)

Lambo58

I get the feeling that the quality of football in the championship has risen since last season whist league one has gotten worse. Therefore if we were to get promoted, we'd definitely have to bring in a fair few players.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

Championship is becoming the exiles of the Premiership.

It is the best Division 2 league in the world and probably better than most premier leagues around the world.

The spl isn't even close to Championship standard.

To be honest Rangers are now playing in a league which suits their crap football.

All the bull about Celtic and Rangers joining the premiership is a joke.

The fact that Welsh clubs are in the English football tiers is outdated.

Next year probably Cardiff and Swansea in the English Premier league...

stupot07

The quality of league one is poor, particular in the attacking third, which is lucky given the amount of decent goalscoring chances we allow the opposition.

We've conceded 35 in 28. Last season we were bottom of the league and but had only conceded 38 in 28. Yeah, we attack more and have scored far more goals but I still feel we're defensively weak.

SkyBlueScottie

The standard of the championship is definetly getting better, or at least the top 6 or 8 teams are. Its becoming a mini Premiership and will only continue to get harder to get out of as teams are relegated with big parachute payments, so I think with this current squad we would be ok to survive in the championship but we would be near our usual place of 18th.

Sky Blue Kid

You only have to look at the games against the 2 Premier teams that we've played. Totally outclassed and outplayed in both games. We have to not get complacent if we get promotion this season. Teams such as Barnsley, who we scored 18 goals with 3 against over 3 seasons, then relegation where they comfortably beat us 2-0. These teams would be odds on favourites to beat us now.;)

wingy

What happens next season if we don't make it up .

FFP determines that we can only use 50-55% of turnover for player salaries,bothers me much.

stupot07

What happens next season if we don't make it up .

FFP determines that we can only use 50-55% of turnover for player salaries,bothers me much.

Saying that our 55% will still be a lot more than most of the league....it would help if we were getting 18-20k rather than 9-12k at home.

If we go up this season we won't be spending much on transfers or increasing the wage bill by much, they will want to continue he to reduce losses. I imagine our wage bill will be compariable to one which got relegated and will be in the bottom 3-5 in the championship.

wingy

Saying that our 55% will still be a lot more than most of the league....it would help if we were getting 18-20k rather than 9-12k at home.

If we go up this season we won't be spending much on transfers or increasing the wage bill by much, they will want to continue he to reduce losses. I imagine our wage bill will be compariable to one which got relegated and will be in the bottom 3-5 in the championship.

Can't remember who said it on the phone in last night ,but it was quoted last season turnover at roughly £11M. down to £5.5M. this with a loss predicted of £3M. this ,so potentially a £3M. surplus to utilise upon a promotion.

EDIT; It was Waggot.

Warwickhunt

have you see Barnsley play this year? they would struggle in league one! playing like we are would enable to finish 18/19 in the championship

stupot07

Can't remember who said it on the phone in last night ,but it was quoted last season turnover at roughly £11M. down to £5.5M. this with a loss predicted of £3M. this ,so potentially a £3M. surplus to utilise upon a promotion.

EDIT; It was Waggot.

£3m not a lot when you consider everyone's salary will go up before you even think about new signings, plus new signings will want higher wages.

Average league one basic salary was £73k in 2009/10, the average basic salary in the championship was £211k

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...ll-wage-figures-for-the-past-25-years-301002/

rupert_bear

The fact that in recent seasons Southampton, Blackpool,Swansea and Norwich both of whom have stayed in the Prem.have gone from division 1 straight to the premiership tells me there is little difference between the top of division 1 and the championship

Last edited:

GaryPendrysEyes

The fact that in recent seasons Southampton, Blackpool,Swansea and Norwich both of whom have stayed in the Prem.have gone from division 1 straight to the premiership tells me there is little difference between the top of division 1 and the championship

How about top of div 1 and the Premiership with that logic:p I dont think any of us would say this squad is anywhere near the quality needed- and the size of the problem wont be sorted by a few free transfers and loans. Interesting to see how MR can help tighten up the squad over a year or 2 if he stays-guess he's gotta look at lower leagues and bringing players on....

stupot07

They all strengthened significantly on promotion to championship, plus only Southampton and Norwich had back to back promotions...

Astute

A lot of it is down to how good the manager is and the type of players he can bring in on loan as well as new signings.

I have faith in MR.

I love the Championship. The football is miles better. Last season even though we were relegated i enjoyed the football a lot more. This season i am gettin bored in the games very easily. I just want to get out of this shitty league and get back to where we belong

Users who are viewing this thread