Qatar World Cup 2022 (6 Viewers)

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

The wife, my mate, youngest and I have booked our flights. Going 17th November and returning on 20th December. However we’ll book an earlier return if we go out in or before the quarters.

We have applied for tickets for all 8 of our games and are guaranteed to get them due to our cap level but my youngest will only be 9 months old at that point so he hasn’t had a chance too build up any caps. You need a match ticket to be allowed into the country so will get him one for a random game if I can’t get him one for one of our games to ensure he gets a visa. If we don’t manage to get him tickets for our games we’ll be hoping that he doesn’t get asked for it at the turnstiles.

Once we get our tickets confirmed we are allowed to book accommodation. Early indications are that it’s not super cheap like the last few tournaments have been but isn’t anywhere near as much as most were fearing thankfully.

I’m really looking forward to it and fingers crossed we finally bring it home.
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heavens knows I’m miserable now.

skyblue025

Having been to the last 7 tournaments England have played in I was massively torn on going to Qatar. A complete non football country (City really), there poor human rights record etc really put me off. In the end have put in for semi final and final tickets if England get there. I'm guaranteed tickets due to the amount of games I've been too in the past. I'd never forgive myself if England actually won something and I didn't go. A bit like watching the City, shit for years but now seem to be on the rise.

covboy1987

Possibly, have applied for 2 group games. Was hoping to stay in Dubai and just travel across for the games but it’s proving expensive. Had intended to take my mrs and my son was going to take his, hence the Dubai option…
8 of us have booked and paid for our flights and have magnificent accommodation in Dubai and hoping to get across on the short 50 min flight from Dubai to Doha for the games - However the flight prices for the short flight currently are astronomical but have been assured that these prices will drop for the world cup month

CJ_covblaze

8 of us have booked and paid for our flights and have magnificent accommodation in Dubai and hoping to get across on the short 50 min flight from Dubai to Doha for the games - However the flight prices for the short flight currently are astronomical but have been assured that these prices will drop for the world cup month
Those short flights are criminally expensive for what you get. A lot of them are a fair amount more than our flights from here.

fernandopartridge

There is currently a directive researching the game’s governance which is a joke given this shitshow. If you believe that football is ‘for the fans’ then it has no place in a fucking desert bought by cunts who merely want a veneer of respectability for an evil regime. Boycott.
At least one of the key players in the Sky Blue Trust is with you

CJ_covblaze

At least one of the key players in the Sky Blue Trust is with you
If you’re referring to me I would never say I was a key player and haven’t had any involvement at all for years.

CJ_covblaze

There are clearly a lot of issues with this World Cup. I understand why some may choose not to go or even not watch from home. That’s their choice and I respect it. When we next play at Man City, Newcastle, Sheffield United, PSG (we can dream) etc will it be an issue if we go and support the City at the that ground? Is it that different to going to Qatar considering who’s name is above the door of those buildings and stadiums, who funds the team that plays there and where your ticket and F&B money is ultimately going to? Likewise, there are countless shops and other businesses we all use on a daily basis that have these regimes in their corporate hierarchy. Should those who spend their money there be castigated and criticised?

Must say I thought we all lived in a society where we could all do what we wanted with our time and hard earned money. When it gets to the point when we can’t do that it’s when our country is no better than the regimes I’ve alluded to above and we’ve all got an issue with.

Last edited:

mmttww

There are clearly a lot of issues with this World Cup. I understand why some may choose not to go or even not watch from home. That’s their choice and I respect it. When we next play at Man City, Newcastle, Sheffield United, PSG (we can dream) etc will it be an issue if we go and support the City at the that ground? Is it that different to going to Qatar considering who’s name is above the door of those buildings and stadiums, who funds the team that plays there and where your ticket and F&B money is ultimately going to? Likewise, there are countless shops and other businesses we all use on a daily basis that have these regimes in their corporate hierarchy. Should those who spend their money there be castigated and criticised?

Must say I thought we all lived in a society where we could all do what we wanted with our time and hard earned money. When it gets to the point when we can’t do that it’s when our country is no better than the regimes I’ve alluded to above and we’ve all got an issue with.

Other things also being a bit sh*t doesn't change this being a total sh*tshow. Qatar want this to be a highly visible symbol of what they're about; don't piss and moan or deflect when it attracts criticism in ways some of the things you've mentioned don't. Terrible argument to make.

mr_monkey

For me it's the more the fact that I'd be arrested if I set foot in the country due to the fact I'm married to a man so yep I have a problem with people who go out there and support a country who have laws like that

CJ_covblaze

For me it's the more the fact that I'd be arrested if I set foot in the country due to the fact I'm married to a man so yep I have a problem with people who go out there and support a country who have laws like that

I completely understand your viewpoint. It’s extremely sad and wrong that a country would persecute you for being you and living your life. Someone who is likely to be coming with us is gay and is going to be as open about it there as he is here. I believe England Pride are also going over there and like him and everyone else I really hope they are made to feel safe and welcome. Some of their members were feeling very apprehensive about going to Russia but were met with more positivity than anything else. Fingers crossed it’s the same this time around.

South West Sky Blue

I fully respect your valid concerns, but your fears do not reflect reality. Homosexual people are not arrested for simply being gay. Yes their laws are prejudiced and regressive, but the way they are applied is far less aggressive than feared.

A gay man or woman would NOT be arrested for simply being gay. I know you’ll hear horror stories, but so does every country- including ours.

I know this from lived experiences. Qatar is actually a little more progressive than other parts of the Gulf. In my personal opinion, their biggest fault is the rampant racism towards persons from the Asian sub-continent as well as the Philippines to a lesser extent. Even then, Qatar is less guilty than other Gulf countries. The way they operate is virtually modern day slavery.

I’m not defending the country, as it has homophobic laws. They will never change until religious leaders rather than political leaders pursue change.

mr_monkey

I fully respect your valid concerns, but your fears do not reflect reality. Homosexual people are not arrested for simply being gay. Yes their laws are prejudiced and regressive, but the way they are applied is far less aggressive than feared.

A gay man or woman would NOT be arrested for simply being gay. I know you’ll hear horror stories, but so does every country- including ours.

I know this from lived experiences. Qatar is actually a little more progressive than other parts of the Gulf. In my personal opinion, their biggest fault is the rampant racism towards persons from the Asian sub-continent as well as the Philippines to a lesser extent. Even then, Qatar is less guilty than other Gulf countries. The way they operate is virtually modern day slavery.

I’m not defending the country, as it has homophobic laws. They will never change until religious leaders rather than political leaders pursue change.

It is illegal to be gay there with a maximum prison sentence of 3 years... Why people are trying to defend this just so they can go and watch some football baffles me (and that's before all the other human rights issues if course) but whatever lets you sleep at night I guess

South West Sky Blue

It is illegal to be gay there with a maximum prison sentence of 3 years... Why people are trying to defend this just so they can go and watch some football baffles me (and that's before all the other human rights issues if course) but whatever lets you sleep at night I guess

I’m not “defending” anything. If you read my post, I’m quite critical. I’m just offering a balanced view of what it is actually like regarding homosexuality, rather than what our media portrays it as.
The laws in our country say you can get 7 years for stealing a Mars bar.

I’ve been in many local bars with many openly gay Arabs and Westerners. If someone was hesitant on whether to travel simply because they thought they’d be incarcerated for holding hands with a same sex partner, or having a same sex marriage it simply wouldn’t happen.
Just offering some reality rather than scaremongering.
If anyone doesn’t want to travel out there for moral reasons, then fair play to them. That’s their choice. I’ve even given reasons in my original post to justify that viewpoint.
Just didn’t want any gay people to be in constant unnecessary fear out there.

mr_monkey

I’m not “defending” anything. If you read my post, I’m quite critical. I’m just offering a balanced view of what it is actually like regarding homosexuality, rather than what our media portrays it as.
The laws in our country say you can get 7 years for stealing a Mars bar.

I’ve been in many local bars with many openly gay Arabs and Westerners. If someone was hesitant on whether to travel simply because they thought they’d be incarcerated for holding hands with a same sex partner, or having a same sex marriage it simply wouldn’t happen.
Just offering some reality rather than scaremongering.
If anyone doesn’t want to travel out there for moral reasons, then fair play to them. That’s their choice. I’ve even given reasons in my original post to justify that viewpoint.
Just didn’t want any gay people to be in constant unnecessary fear out there.

I'm glad you haven't seen it happen but there are numerous reports of people being arrested for it so just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

And as for comparing it to steeling a mars bar, I don't think I've ever been more insulted in my life... you choose to steal a mars bar knowing full well it's not right, you don't choose to love someone of the same sex and the fact it's illegal anywhere in the world in 2022 is unbelievable and why anyone would travel somewhere and pay into the economy of a place like that is quite frankly sickening

SBT

What makes you think that short flights between two countries that hate each other are going to come down in price between now and the world’s biggest sporting event taking place in one of them?

SheafIsGod

I'm glad you haven't seen it happen but there are numerous reports of people being arrested for it so just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

And as for comparing it to steeling a mars bar, I don't think I've ever been more insulted in my life... you choose to steal a mars bar knowing full well it's not right, you don't choose to love someone of the same sex and the fact it's illegal anywhere in the world in 2022 is unbelievable and why anyone would travel somewhere and pay into the economy of a place like that is quite frankly sickening
Jesus Christ have a day off

Grendel

It’s pretty easy to say it’s ok if you are going and not as a persecuted minority

it’s not so easy if you are

Grendel

a lot of people have died so you can sit on your seat there - enjoy

KenilworthSkyBlue

How anyone can go to that country and support their economy is beyond me, there are things more important than football

Sadly the majority of those attending won't be overly bothered as it doesn't directly affect them.

Just like the vast majority of our fans wouldn't be bothered if a Saudi backed group with a bottomless bank account took the club over.

Certainly regarding the latter arguement, principles and ethics would automatically fly out the window if a pound shaped carrot got dandled in front of the fanbase - as shown by the reaction from Newcastle fans following their recent takeover.

Users who are viewing this thread