PS3 Network down. (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

PSN Outage today Thursday 21st April 2011 (80710A06)

PSN is undergoing an outage and currently these services have been affected:

Qriocity
PlayStation Store
Account management
You may find you are having an issue signing in with the error code (80710A06).

Coventry La La La

I have an xbox but no xboxlive on it at the moment...... xbox is definitely 100x better then ps3, that has no online community, no party/private chat in game's just shitty text chat

Coventry La La La

Latest from Sony

'While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can'.

Official thread on PS3 forum's http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/PSN-Outage-and-FAQ-Updated-Monday-9th-May/td-p/12758774/page/343

Last edited:

Marty

You can get Live really cheap these days, when my subscritpion ran out they sent me an offer of 12 months + 1200 MS points for £22 :D

AngryAnt

Heard a phone in on 5Live yesterday about this.. All through it i kept thinking "This is just another reason why PC gaming is superior", takes the whole internet to go down to stop that!

Didn't they claim it was hackers? Surprised they would say that to be honest and be willing to take the hit.

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I was wondering when this thread would start :p haha... I love the fact PS3 gamers are totally freaking out over this ! Jeez just catch up on some single player campaigns and earn some trophies!

Sony Spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka in a Press Conference in Japan admitted to an external attack against Sony and that they are investing the attack to see whether user account information and\or card details have been compromised.

Past rumours suggest the new custom firmware was the cause. The custom firmware which enables users to get free ps+ subcription and the ability to make a dummy account to deposit fake money into their online wallet and download anything for free was the cause. I doubt this is the cause though, they wouldnt cut off 75million people just to stop a small minority of cfw users... an update would probably be enough.

Another one is that Anonymous did it as revenge (which still stands) against the GeorgeHotz case. Anon officially denied it, but didnt rule out that it could have been an attack by members in the group that were working individually.

Still xbox users you have had more downtime than Ps3 users (well...so far) !

Last edited:

bamalamafizzfazz

Don't play the PS3 that much but did smash on Fifa before the Scunny game and no online fun but still no complaints it is a free service afterall unlike xbox live and like flammable just said, XB has funked up loads more than PS.

I think it probably was an attack by anon, Sony are only sueing as they Hotz refused a massive salary job offer lol.

Coventry La La La

I like to have online fun.... I should of stuck with XBL, PS3 offer's a descent service for free but it's just boring and hardly anyone communicates + their's no party chat which I really enjoy on xbox.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I like to have online fun.... I should of stuck with XBL, PS3 offer's a descent service for free but it's just boring and hardly anyone communicates + their's no party chat which I really enjoy on xbox.

hardly anyone communicates - by which you mean there isn't some spotty little freakazoid shouting at you like some wannabe gangster down the mic. rather play in peace to be honest, xbox is for nerds. daylight robbery you have to pay to play online.

Coventry La La La

hardly anyone communicates - by which you mean there isn't some spotty little freakazoid shouting at you like some wannabe gangster down the mic. rather play in peace to be honest, xbox is for nerds. daylight robbery you have to pay to play online.

Nope I talk in party chat mainly with people I know so enjoy a good bit of banter and have a good laugh.

Also it has better exlusive's Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect,

Last edited:

MatthewWallis

Looks like peoples credit card details and stuff have been stolen Sony are gonna feel the wrath of loads of people!!

Anyway xbox is better. PS didn't get Alan Wake therefore XB > PS

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Yeah playstation has now officially confirmed that the details of 70 odd million users has been compromised ! They haven't however said that credit card details were stolen but they say its possible and they don't really know ! haha...

217477_1930077727546_1110306905_2274543_5162625_n.jpg

Coventry La La La

PlayStation data theft hits 70m gamers

Sony has warned users of its PlayStation Network that their personal information, including credit card details, may have been stolen.

The company said that the data might have fallen into the hands of an "unauthorised person" following a hacking attack on its online service.

Access to the network was suspended last Wednesday, but Sony has only now revealed details of what happened.

Users are being warned to look out for attempted telephone and e-mail scams.

In a statement posted on the official PlayStation blog, Nick Caplin, the company's head of communications for Europe, said: "We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network".

The blog posting lists the personal information that Sony believes has been taken.

Name
Address (city, state/province, zip or postal code)
Country
E-mail address
Date of birth
PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login
Handle/PSN online ID
Mr Caplin added: "It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.

"For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information."

Credit cards

Sony admitted that credit card information, used to purchase games, films and music, may also have been stolen.

"While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility," Mr Caplin said.

"If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained."

Sony has not given any indication of how many PlayStation Network users may have had their information taken, but the service has around 70 million members worldwide.

'PR Disaster'

The theft of so much detailed customer data would be seen as a "public relations disaster", according to Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos.

"This is a big one," he told BBC News.

"The PlayStation Network is a real consumer product. It is in lots of homes all over the world.

"The impact of this could be much greater than your typical internet hack."

Mr Cluley warned that, even without credit card details, the information taken was enough to help criminals carry out further attacks on other services.

"Some people will use the same passwords on other sites. If I was a hacker right now, I would be taking those e-mail addresses and trying those passwords," he said.

User anger

Some streaming media services available on PlayStation have been affected by the outage
PlayStation users got their first indication that something was wrong with the service when it became unavailable on Wednesday 20 April.

In the following days, Sony issued three brief statements asking users to be patient while it investigated an "external intrusion", or hack.

However, the fact that it took almost seven days for the company to reveal that data had been taken has angered some gamers.

Commenting on the Sony blog, Tacotaskforce wrote: "You waited a week to tell us our personal information was compromised? That should have been said last Thursday."

Another user Sid4peeps wrote: "This update is about 6 days late. I think it is time to move to the other network, no regard for customers here."

But some PlayStation users appeared to be happy with Sony's handling of the matter. Ejsponge61 commented: "Wow, this is alot of info. Thanks, this is very much appreciated by all of us PlayStation fans."

The Sony PlayStation Network remains unavailable to users. The company has not said when service will be restored.

BenInTurin

Facebook User
It's a free service so it's not going to be as good as live but I'm never going to pay for online gaming as it's only something I do every now and then. Some people seem to think it's the end of the world!

flammablepiss

Facebook User
I'v heard as PSN is down and they are having to rebuild the system anyways, they are going to give is a firmware update with new features including cross game chat.

ajsccfc

Anyone been panicked enough to get their credit/debit card cancelled with the news that they may be compromised?

Jeez Sony, good PR move waiting a week to tell us.

gouldberg

I think I would have been inclined to cancel a card had I used one. Luckily the only card ever used on my ps3 is now past it's expiry date and the password I used for psn was a one of a kind. It's a farce and I'd be intrigued to find out what encryption they used for their data. If it's unprotected then there would be uproar, but no matter what encryption it was, it wasn't enough.

Bad times for Sony. I've used them for years and hated Xbox, but suddenly Xbox today appeals to me.

The CableGuy

In terms of damage for each console:

PSN Hack = Xbox RROD

I have a Xbox, by the way, but the wider security implications of the PSN Hack are worrying for all of us. It looks like Sony were daft enough to store that data unencrypted. :eek: ....if one of the world's biggest companies can't get the basics right, who can?

This is a big wake-up call for cloud-services (yes, Google, I'm looking at you) to review their security, and for the people who use them to think about how much data they've given to those services.

Last edited:

Coventry La La La

I dont understand why xbox = rrod myn' had it twice but I know plenty of people who have had the "YLOD" on their ps3 so it's not like it doesn't have it's flaws?

The CableGuy

I dont understand why xbox = rrod myn' had it twice but I know plenty of people who have had the "YLOD" on their ps3 so it's not like it doesn't have it's flaws?

True, but the RROD was a highly public mistake which cost MS $1 billion in terms of recalls and console re-designs. At one point the failure rate for a 360 was 33%.

Marty

I'm on my fourth 360 console, but I wouldn't swap it for a PS3 any day of the week. Service has been excellent when i've had problems, On the PSN even though your in a lobby full of people you feel strangely alone, but on the 360 lobby full of people everyone is chatting having a laugh you do get the odd kid who acts like a tit but you can mute them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread