protests still a good idea? (1 Viewer)

hamil99

Facebook User
Now with Hoffman apparently "at the table" with the sisu, are protests still a good idea, or would they possibly hinder or prolong the discussions? I was just wondering, as Good Friday and Easter Monday gives us a 4 day weekend, perfect chance for a London based protest at sisu hq. (Is literally not a opinion or a plan, just a thought) wat do people think, are protests a good idea at the minute?

ccfcdan

Now with Hoffman apparently "at the table" with the sisu, are protests still a good idea, or would they possibly hinder or prolong the discussions? I was just wondering, as Good Friday and Easter Monday gives us a 4 day weekend, perfect chance for a London based protest at sisu hq. (Is literally not a opinion or a plan, just a thought) wat do people think, are protests a good idea at the minute?

Need big numbers to be effective and unfortunately the majority cant be arsed.

SBS

Read a few days ago how Portsmouth staged a sit in after one of their home games. I'm sure there are people including myself who want to voice their concerns about the way the club is being run, whilst also being able to watch the game. Seems the perfect way to do it and I'm not sure how the club could stop it happening inside the ground.

Grendel

Personally staying in the division is all that matters. Protest normally would mean refusing to attend. Given the city's apathy towards the team perhaps some people could demonstrate their support for a change.

CJparker

Not sure that protesting will make any difference one way or the other - the negotiations are happening and I very much doubt whether, SISU, Hoffman or anyone around the table will even think about the protects...sorry to say

@richh87

I'm concerned that peoples' attitudes towards SISU have softened over the last couple of months.

I'm not sure what the best action is but I hope SISU don't think that fans are content with them in charge and dragging us to League 1.

torchomatic

I think this is true. Attitudes have hardened against AT. However, I never hear anyone at the match having a go at Thorn, mainly just on here.

I'm concerned that peoples' attitudes towards SISU have softened over the last couple of months.

I'm not sure what the best action is but I hope SISU don't think that fans are content with them in charge and dragging us to League 1.

swanageskyblue

Remember that the guys who inhabit SISU HQ are city slickers who work London business hours, so they will not be there over a bank holiday weekend - cannot see much point in protesting outside an empty, and probably locked-down, building.

Also, right now, our team need everything that we have to give - we have got 13 cup finals coming up. The ownership issue needs to be put aside until the end of the season.

@richh87

I wonder why though. Is it the Portsmouth and Rangers situations?

Is it because SISU are in talks with Hoffman?

hamil99

Facebook User
Remember that the guys who inhabit SISU HQ are city slickers who work London business hours, so they will not be there over a bank holiday weekend - cannot see much point in protesting outside an empty, and probably locked-down, building.

Also, right now, our team need everything that we have to give - we have got 13 cup finals coming up. The ownership issue needs to be put aside until the end of the season.

I thought the same about the building being empty, but then I thought, people don't need to be inside for photographers to take pictures of protesters outside with banners. Has the same effect, empty or full. Sadly enough though, even with it being a 4 day weekend, I don't think we would get the numbers necessary for a newspaper photographer deem it worthy to turn up.

Grendel

I wonder why though. Is it the Portsmouth and Rangers situations?

Is it because SISU are in talks with Hoffman?

The answer is I believe relatively simple. Prior to Christmas when protests were at their "height" (even then more Snowdonia than Everest) the club was doomed to certain relegation. There is now some light at the end of the tunnel and relegation is avoidable. Therefore there is inevitably a refocus onto on field activities and what can best this season be done to achieve survival.

@richh87

They were a great idea - and got lots of media attention highlighting our plight and making SISU look terrible.

So yes.

hamil99

Facebook User
Were protests ever a good idea?

I was wondering the same thing before writing this thread, and the conclusion I came to was; except for petitions ( which aren't worth the paper they are written on in this kind of situation, I believe anyway), protests are the only way of voicing our concerns, what else could be done? It's our only real option, which can hav an effect anyway.

Last edited:
Protests are a waste of time now IMO. We want championship football and so do SISU so they can sell at a better price surely?

For me we just ride the rest of the season out and see where we end up.

Grendel

Would you say the same thing about the 18,000 fans who don't show up at the Ricoh?

Indeed. And this regardless of ownership is why we have become what we are.

georgehudson

fans won't show up at the ricoh because they are acutely aware of just how badly the club / team have been affected by the continued lack of support (financially), of the team /squad,
the resultant lack of speculation to accumulate has been sorely felt,
**** should at least outline their strategy,
anyone in my opinion who concurs with these muppets is deluded,

PUSB

mark82

Would you say the same thing about the 18,000 fans who don't show up at the Ricoh?

Some, like myself, can't make it every week. I work 1 in 2 Saturdays and live away from Coventry. Each time I go to a match it costs me £100 including fuel. I simply cannot afford it.

Colonel Mustard

Some, like myself, can't make it every week. I work 1 in 2 Saturdays and live away from Coventry. Each time I go to a match it costs me £100 including fuel. I simply cannot afford it.

Not having a go at people like you, Mark. Just a general observation about the city's population and broader catchment area; people can't slate SISU for an apparent apathy towards Championship football when the population is much the same.

Grendel

The comment is not aimed at individuals but the general state of the club is because of its declining attendances. At 14,000 and not owning its own ground this is as good as it gets unless investment is another word for Gift Aid.

J

Jack Griffin

Not while there is a chance of surviving and absolutely no clarity about how Hoffmans negotiations might be going (you can't base anything on what Keys says).

Time to get behind Andy Thorn & keep those fingers crossed.

@richh87

They're obviously not into their football as much as us I suppose - they can take it or leave it.

At the end of the day it's a product and what has been served up over the last 10 years has been utter shite. Leeds at home last year showed that the fans will come flooding back at the slightest hint of success.

I doubt any other set of fans would put up with it either for such a sustained period of time. About 40 years of relegation battles - unheard of outside Coventry.

A bit of ambition from SISU and the attendances would go up - people don't want to pay to watch losers.

Colonel Mustard

They're obviously not into their football as much as us I suppose - they can take it or leave it.

Surely any club ought to be a reflection of its fans. If we were packing out the Ricoh every fortnight then yes, SISU would be "c*nts" for not appearing to care. But if the fans can "take or leave" Championship football, why is it so criminal that ownership merely reflects the population's mood?

At the end of the day it's a product and what has been served up over the last 10 years has been utter shite. Leeds at home last year showed that the fans will come flooding back at the slightest hint of success.

It's putting the cart before the horse. You should be able to appreciate that strong crowds (and preferably a stake in the stadium) are the base - the collateral - on which to spend for greater success. If you spend without much collateral, as Richardson did, then you end up where CCFC are now...

A bit of ambition from SISU and the attendances would go up - people don't want to pay to watch losers.

I don't deny it. And I'm in favour of a 'stimulus package' to get fans back, to make an honest charge at promotion. But if the money isn't there then what can you do? It's all very well wishing for a tycoon to buy the club, but they ain't lining up. The Coventry Telegraph, the fans, and SISU should all be making a mutual peace and a public drive to sell out season tickets in 2012-2013.

Paxman II

To address the original question:

I think protest can be a big negative often seen as the minority and full of weird and wonderful people who forget to wash their hair and have dirty finger nails!
I know that sounds harsh and I agree but just look at the protesters at St Pauls....there's your answer. Most had not a clue why they were even there.
However legitimate, well organised protest is a positive. Perhaps it can be said keeping up some protest will keep the pressure on SISU to find a way out? Conversely though it could prove to be a bad omen for Hoffman and his cronies who may think twice about what they are getting into if protest are all around them continually?

In the City's situation I think as much as we love our club small protest will have little affect and carry no weight in the present proceedings.

Bringing your full support and increasing the crowds at the Ricoh may be a better demonstration rather than protest, one that Hoffman may find encouraging?

Grendel

My feelings exactly paxman.

EleanorRigby

People ARE protesting in the traditional way fans protest...they ain't going as Saturdays attendance figure showed, despite much hype about a fiver less etc,etc relatively few were enticed to go and those that did go for the first time for a while won't be going back in a hurry after that first half peformance.

We are back to our core fanbase IMO at 14k. Anything more than this was the people that got on board when the new stadium was built.

The 10's of people that stopped going since the signing of MK9 was eclipsed by the 1000's that left when we didn't keep him, brilliant!

Add that to Turner, Gunner & Westwood.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread