Professional beggars in town (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Is that bloke still sleeping under the Railway bridge near the Broomfield ? It must have been mighty cold for these people over the last week or so.

I don't go that way on matchdays so I've never seen him.

Doesn't bare thinking about!

fernandopartridge

I see some on the tram who commute into Manchester to beg, they look scruffy and smell but they commute home again in the evening, sharing their gains with each other.

fernandopartridge

Once there was this Eastern European guy who was begging and said he was conned to come to this country had no food and nowhere to live. To be fair he looked a mess and said he needed £20 to get some board in a hostel for a night and to be able to call home and lget help. He’d not exactly got a lot of money. I had a fiver so I gave it him. It still played on my mind when I got home so I actually got another tenner drove back (it was nearly midnight) and found him and gave him the ten pounds. He said he was still £2 short and started swearing at me and saying I was a bastard for not giving him the rest he needed. That is the end of my philanthropy towards human kind.

Martcov doesn't like you for having a different view to him on the EU

Captain Dart

Slightly off topic.. but if anyone can help?

Mr Panda

I once gave a fiver to an Irish bloke outside the Council House who claimed he had escaped hospital and needed to get back to his wife in Dublin.

I was very suspicious of his story until he opened his coat to reveal he was still wearing a hospital gown and actually still had the drip stuck in his arm...incredible.

Nick

Administrator
Fucking hell, town is crawling with them today.

Lurking by the car park pay machines.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I was in town yesterday and was surprised at the amount of people sleeping rough, I'd also walked from clintons card to boots and was stopped twice by people asking for money.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Never give them cash - buy them a bag of chips.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

There were loads of Romanian buskers / beggars as well all scattered about.
Still, it's nice to know their rights will be protected just like Brits abroad when we leave the E.U. Bet they wore Nike trainers.
Does this kind of thing happen much in Australia ?

shmmeee

Those lads opposite the council house I haven't seen for a few weeks, usually 3 of them on a big mattress that they prop up during the day. Like you say they're genuine but so many chancers, I usually take a look at their footwear, was a lad outside the falafel place ny Broadgate a couple of weeks back with a brand new pair of Nike trainers on, he looked too well kept and another a bit further down a week later I saw with an iPhone.....maybe he was genuine but certainly didn't sit well with me compared to the lads opposite the council house etc

Sounds like a chancer, though to be fair I’ve given an old iPhone to a mate that became homelessness shortly after, so it does happen. Old tech is quite easy to get hold of.

Fucking hate that my compassion for the homeless has been worn down by these fuckers. Used to give happily, or offer food or something, then I came across the pros in Nottingham at uni, then recently had reason to go to town a lot and it just takes the piss these days. Every cahspoint, every ticket machine seems to have two or three waiting. Half unable to even muster enough English to ask properly.

shmmeee

Still, it's nice to know their rights will be protected just like Brits abroad when we leave the E.U. Bet they wore Nike trainers.
Does this kind of thing happen much in Australia ?

I’m pro EU, but that decision was a joke. No one has a right to be homeless in another country. I wouldn’t even be homeless outside Cov FFS.

Nick

Administrator
It's sly to lurk around ticket machines and cash points. Especially now it gets dark early, if it's a woman on her own in the dark I can see it being a bit scary.

shmmeee

It's sly to lurk around ticket machines and cash points. Especially now it gets dark early, if it's a woman on her own in the dark I can see it being a bit scary.

I feel uncomfortable enough as a 17st man when there’s five of them. God knows how a woman on her own feels.

Me and a couple of mates had to chase an abusive homeless guy out of that pork batch shop near FarGo a while ago. Just shouting at the guy because he said to wait ten minutes til he closed then he’d give him any left overs.

Obvious mental health issues, like most homeless people I’d imagine. Better for everyone to pay for the housing to get them off the streets IMO.

martcov

Martcov doesn't like you for having a different view to him on the EU

It seems a bit strange if it got to midnight and he could have in a warm bed for 20 quid. To go back and give him just under what he needed? Why? If I got that far, I would have given him the rest, or bought him to the hotel and checked him in. I would have given Grendel a like had the guy got his warm bed... Just didn’t understand the logic of wanting to get him a bed and then just not quite doing it..

Nick

Administrator
It seems a bit strange if it got to midnight and he could have in a warm bed for 20 quid. To go back and give him just under what he needed? Why? If I got that far, I would have given him the rest, or bought him to the hotel and checked him in. I would have given Grendel a like had the guy got his warm bed... Just didn’t understand the logic of wanting to get him a bed and then just not quite doing it..

But it's still no reason to be ungrateful about it is it? I haven't given to a homeless person since I saw one moan about being bought a hot chocolate from McDonalds and not getting money. It wasn't long ago in Nuneaton a woman coming out of Greggs bought some warm sausage rolls and the homeless guy begging just outside turned them down and was pretty rude.

The one outside the swimming baths at night who tried to start a conversation with my daughter so I would give him money nearly got put through the wall, never mind a tenner.

clint van damme

But it's still no reason to be ungrateful about it is it? I haven't given to a homeless person since I saw one moan about being bought a hot chocolate from McDonalds and not getting money. It wasn't long ago in Nuneaton a woman coming out of Greggs bought some warm sausage rolls and the homeless guy begging just outside turned them down and was pretty rude.

The one outside the swimming baths at night who tried to start a conversation with my daughter so I would give him money nearly got put through the wall, never mind a tenner.

really fucks me off, they're literally making things harder for genuine cases. Scum.

martcov

I understand about Grendel‘s person‘s bad behavior, but don’t get why he wouldn’t go the last bit at midnight...

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Sounds like a chancer, though to be fair I’ve given an old iPhone to a mate that became homelessness shortly after, so it does happen. Old tech is quite easy to get hold of.

Fucking hate that my compassion for the homeless has been worn down by these fuckers. Used to give happily, or offer food or something, then I came across the pros in Nottingham at uni, then recently had reason to go to town a lot and it just takes the piss these days. Every cahspoint, every ticket machine seems to have two or three waiting. Half unable to even muster enough English to ask properly.

Totally agree I've stopped giving, for a small proportion it's an occupation!

Great_Expectations

I’ve noticed a significant increase in homeless people around England in general, but Coventry definitely has a high percentage, although that’s based on nothing more than my observations. Whether that’s an increase in genuine homelessness or scammers, who knows.

I’ll happily buy food/drink for those I believe to be genuine, but never money, unless they look truly desperate and I have some lose change to hand.

Also, the cynical, stone hearted side of me always wonders how much is it the individuals own actions that resulted in them being in that situation? Must be horrible though - imagine having literally nothing to your name and nobody to turn to. Depressing and likely to make any addictions worse.

shmmeee

I think it’s both. The official stats show a massive rise in homelessness since 2010, but anecdotally there’s also been a massive rise in professionals. Which makes it worse because your charity gets eroded just as it’s needed most.

shmmeee

Also, the cynical, stone hearted side of me always wonders how much is it the individuals own actions that resulted in them being in that situation? Must be horrible though - imagine having literally nothing to your name and nobody to turn to. Depressing and likely to make any addictions worse.

From the couple I’ve known it’s been the result is serious mental health issues going back to childhood. The friend I gave the iPhone to for example was abused by alcoholic parents and has ended up alcoholic along with a host of others issues.

Users who are viewing this thread