Private Eye Todays Issue (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

images

No, seriously, I can't read it.

shmmeee

I can pick out bits. How come Les Reid is making a comeback? That's GCBTTR and now this?

I smell a manufactured media storm...

shmmeee

SBT compresses images. Host it somewhere like imgur and use the URL option when inserting an image. Make sure you untick the box as well, then it'll just put the whole thing in inline.

Or just post the imgur link

(or your favourite image hosting site)

_brian_

Thank God it's not just me.

Thought I'd been wanking too much for a moment.

Stupid really, as if you can wank too much!

I need a magnifying glass for that as well*!!! LOL!

(*I'm being self-deprecating and suggesting that I've got a small peni5 and can only see it through a magnifying glass! In all honesty though, it's not that small, but it's not very big either - probably around average size for a man of my age.)

shmmeee

Nice one Benno......

Looks like Private Eye are a Sisu plant!! :whistle:

"Star reporter Les Reid" "WeberShandwickWeberShandwickWeberShandwick"

Even without that there's nothing new here, just a rather distorted view of the judge's ruling and a reprint of Sisu's skeleton argument.

Sbarcher

Well, there you have it. Must be true if it's in PE - there's no way that Ian Hislpo would lie to us!
There's no need for the CCC to defend the JR - they're f**ked! I smell a Ricoh settlement anytime soon.

shmmeee

And yet I bet if PE wrote an article crucifying SISU you'd think PE would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Play the ball...

What's new in that article?

Doesn't it interest you that there's been a sudden flurry of activity around Les Reid after months of nothing? Rob's resurfaced, the council elections thing, the Central New bulletin, this.

Sorry, if your bullshit alarm isn't going off right now you need to get it tested. These kind of coincidences don't just happen, the word for word repetition of certain phrases doesn't just happen. It's very clumsy and very obvious PR.

chiefdave

Until recently the sage was excellently covered by the Coventry Telegraphs star reporter Les Reid. But Reids editor Alun Thorne has his head firmly stuck up the backside of council chief exec Reeves who didn't like the direction Reid's inquiries were heading. Thorne bravely resolved this conflict of interest by taking the award winning hack off the story

:thinking about: Odd then that Reid appears to have not written any articles for the CT or anyone else since getting removed from covering the Ricoh saga.

fernandopartridge

Play the ball...

Doesn't it interest you that there's been a sudden flurry of activity around Les Reid after months of nothing? Rob's resurfaced, the council elections thing, the Central New bulletin, this.

Sorry, if your bullshit alarm isn't going off right now you need to get it tested. These kind of coincidences don't just happen, the word for word repetition of certain phrases doesn't just happen. It's very clumsy and very obvious PR.

schmmee - Head of PR and Corporate Communications for Coventry City Council.

It does make me laugh how desperate you are to defend them, lets just wait and see what comes out in court, eh?

skyblue1991

Play the ball...

Sorry did I hit a nerve?

I'm not saying none of it is new. What I'm saying is if PE wrote an article using old material slagging off SISU there would be no 'bullshit alarms', just a round of applause to them.

CovFan

Sorry did I hit a nerve?

I'm not saying none of it is new. What I'm saying is if PE wrote an article using old material slagging off SISU there would be no 'bullshit alarms', just a round of applause to them.

Just like a few months ago when Private Eye posted a certain article about sisu and some people were notable detractors about it, no doubt they will be crowing about it.

shmmeee

Sorry did I hit a nerve?

It's about the context and the entire picture.

No nerves, just an understanding of how media works.

Last edited:

blend

The article says that CET Editor has his head firmly stuck up Martin Reeves backside. No wonder the paper is going downhill if that's the case how can he be expected to do his job from up there. Is this the letters or opinion page?

Moff

Play the ball...

Its funny isn't it. Private Eye produced two damning articles against SISU last year and their running of the club. I believe Royal Scam posted links to them and everyone creamed themselves about how good Private Eye were.

They later posted one about ACL/CCC/Higgs and funnily enough no one mentioned it.
Now they post another one raising issues with ACL/CCC and someone has posted it, and now everyone starts screaming conspiracy. :facepalm:

Perhaps they should just write what the majority line is so not to upset anyone. Although having read the Eye for many years and knowing their history of litigation battles you normally find their articles are pretty accurate. Fancy that!

lewys33

Its funny isn't it. Private Eye produced two damning articles against SISU last year and their running of the club. I believe Royal Scam posted links to them and everyone creamed themselves about how good Private Eye were.

They later posted one about ACL/CCC/Higgs and funnily enough no one mentioned it.
Now they post another one raising issues with ACL/CCC and someone has posted it, and now everyone starts screaming conspiracy. :facepalm:

Perhaps they should just write what the majority line is so not to upset anyone. Although having read the Eye for many years and knowing their history of litigation battles you normally find their articles are pretty accurate. Fancy that!

To be fair the points raised are some valid ones, its just the way they have been raised. Poor piece IMO.

Rob S

Play the ball...

Or maybe the obvious thing is a) a major release of documents and b) a court case has just finished & c) council elections are coming up?

"...a sudden flurry of activity around Les Reid…" Jesus, the guy's a local hack not Rupert Murdoch or the Illuminati!

"...word for word repetition of certain phrases doesn't just happen…"

Like "Mayfair-based hedge fund", "Sisu web of companies", et al?

I can tell you it does because I (with the help of a couple of people) pull previously written articles apart to put a press release together. The ideal press release is written so that an editor could lift paragraphs from it to use in a story and, when it comes to Coventry, we use the language of the local media (CT, Obs & CWR mainly) and feed it back in. Articles from Simon, Les, Ben, Andy & Simon @ CT, Matt & Steve @ Obs & news bulletins on CWR have gone back into our releases.

This is pretty basic media relations so if you do know media, you should know this.

The Central News thing was a lucky coincidence on our part. Darryl Murphy (he appears in studio at the end of the VT) was putting together the piece and he got our release at the end of a day filming the double glazing show at the Ricoh and he got an opportunity to add a bit more to it as I could get in front of a camera in time.

bigfatronssba

Haha, got to love the conspiracy theories.

Just one thing though, is private eye accusing someone at the council of releasing false information on a foi? That is a big accusation to make as if found guilty of such a crime then a custodial sentence isn't out of the question.

Also I'm not sure the judge did except sisus argument in the way this is suggesting.

duffer

It is basically a rehash of the SISU JR skeleton argument though, isn't it?

That what strikes me about Rob's (and possibly Les's) pov, they seem to have taken the SISU JR argument and largely accepted it.

There's a belief that the debt could have been bought from the bank at half or less of it's value, which I can't see any proof of.

There's continual confusion between the value of ACL and the Ricoh - and a reliance on valuations that also don't seem particularly robust or plausible (or at the very least are based on a distressed ACL).

There's also the frankly implausible suggestion that CCFC not being at the Ricoh is costing many millions to the local economy (quoting £58m from the Swansea report).

I don't have an issue with Rob or Les Reid, but there's stuff in their assumptions (repeated in the PE article here) which I think deserve challenge.

Ian1779

It is basically a rehash of the SISU JR skeleton argument though, isn't it?

That what strikes me about Rob's (and possibly Les's) pov, they seem to have taken the SISU JR argument and largely accepted it.

There's a belief that the debt could have been bought from the bank at half or less of it's value, which I can't see any proof of.

There's continual confusion between the value of ACL and the Ricoh - and a reliance on valuations that also don't seem particularly robust or plausible (or at the very least are based on a distressed ACL).

There's also the frankly implausible suggestion that CCFC not being at the Ricoh is costing many millions to the local economy (quoting £58m from the Swansea report).

I don't have an issue with Rob or Les Reid, but there's stuff in their assumptions (repeated in the PE article here) which I think deserve challenge.

Did you read the Statement of Facts produced for the JR application? That is possibly where it came from. In the document there were stacks of emails, meeting minutes,correspondence with parties etc which may give this kind of info.

duffer

Did you read the Statement of Facts produced for the JR application? That is possibly where it came from. In the document there were stacks of emails, meeting minutes,correspondence with parties etc which may give this kind of info.

Yep, it's a statement of facts, but it's from SISU.

In other words it's from one side and has not been challenged in court yet. That's why I think it's risky to rely on it as a single source of information, which is what I feel is happening in this article and elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread