Pressley Trying To Get A Striker In (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

Sky Blues boss Steven Pressley admits he’s struggling to recruit an experienced striker on loan but hopes to draft in a young target man before the weekend.

“We’re still trying to get a couple of strikers but just can’t get an experienced one,” he said.

“I have been trying but we cannot get one. The problem is the player we want may become available but might not.

"If he does then we’ll try to move on him but, in the short term, we’re going to try to get in another younger one, and I’m hoping we can do something this week.

“We’d like two, ideally, but we’ll have to wait on the more experienced one.”

He added: “It’s frustrating because I would like to get the midfield back to what it was. I am asking Billy Daniels to play in the wide area and he’s naturally a central player.

"I’d like to get Franck Moussa into his more natural position on the left side and get the balance of our midfield back, and to do that I need to get a new striker.”

RoboCCFC90

Wages a problem robbo do you think?

I am not sure Ecky on this occasion, it sounds more as if the player's parent Club is not absolutely sure on whether they want him to go out on loan or whether they want him in the picture, Roy Donnelly would have been perfect at this time, but Pressley is being forced to look elsewhere.

With regards to the young player if he can get a youngster in who can link the play and provide the missing link then it's worth taking the punt.

letsallsingtogether

Trouble is we have taken to many punts have sent more back or not signed them,
The only Punt that has worked out recently is Moussa and he'll be gone at the end of the season.
but desperate times as they say

I am not sure Ecky on this occasion, it sounds more as if the player's parent Club is not absolutely sure on whether they want him to go out on loan or whether they want him in the picture, Roy Donnelly would have been perfect at this time, but Pressley is being forced to look elsewhere.

With regards to the young player if he can get a youngster in who can link the play and provide the missing link then it's worth taking the punt.

RoboCCFC90

Trouble is we have taken to many punts have sent more back or not signed them,
The only Punt that has worked out recently is Moussa and he'll be gone at the end of the season.
but desperate times as they say

Problem with that thesis is if he doesn't sign anyone and continues to stick with what we have then other teams might figure us out, by bringing in a player who can link the play might give us a chance of picking up some points as we still have 17 games to go.

jesus-wept

Chris Dragnall was available and in our bag but chose not to give him a decent contract and he went elsewhere, was that Pressley's decision or Waggotts whose ever it was dropped a bollock in my opinion. We sold a goalscorer who had scored 28 goals in a year and we or wondering why we ain't scoring and being just 7 points from the drop zone has to be a concern.

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

Chris Dragnall was available and in our bag but chose not to give him a decent contract and he went elsewhere, was that Pressley's decision or Waggotts whose ever it was dropped a bollock in my opinion. We sold a goalscorer who had scored 28 goals in a year and we or wondering why we ain't scoring and being just 7 points from the drop zone has to be a concern.

We keep revisiting this subject, Steven Pressley did not see Chris Dagnall as a long term player for this Football Club and offered him a deal that reflected this. It came down simply to were Chris felt he was wanted more and the offer of better security for his career, Leyton Orient provided this, CCFC didn't.

torchomatic

You know yesterday I popped into House of Fraser in Leam and I was amazed how much had been knocked off some women's designer gear in a sale. Now, I didn't get any even though they were a bargain because I don't need women's clothes. Same with Dagnell, what's the point of having him if he's not what Pressley wants?

wingy

Found Moussa's comments at the end of his Interview (CT) yesterday) re ;It's the managers job to bring a striker In suggested a feeling of the rest of the team being let down by the lack of replacement for Sales and Injury.

The Gentleman

You know yesterday I popped into House of Fraser in Leam and I was amazed how much had been knocked off some women's designer gear in a sale. Now, I didn't get any even though they were a bargain because I don't need women's clothes. Same with Dagnell, what's the point of having him if he's not what Pressley wants?

But if Pressley did try to sign him, does that not say that he wanted him, at least a bit? If he was offered say a 12 month deal, that is longer than the loans we have just got so he must have been keen otherwise why try and sign him at all.

The Gentleman

Problem with that thesis is if he doesn't sign anyone and continues to stick with what we have then other teams might figure us out, by bringing in a player who can link the play might give us a chance of picking up some points as we still have 17 games to go.

I think teams have already found us out. we like to play a high pressing game, quick football, on the deck and concede quite a few goals. Teams will bully us on crap pitches and play the long ball. Fuck me I could manage at this level.

torchomatic

Betcha couldn't.

I think teams have already found us out. we like to play a high pressing game, quick football, on the deck and concede quite a few goals. Teams will bully us on crap pitches and play the long ball. Fuck me I could manage at this level.

torchomatic

Yes, until he was here for a while. I don't think he fitted into the "pressing" mould like SP liked. I was seriously unimpressed every time I saw him play.

And again, it comes down to is he what we want, regardless of a short term deal or not. I can't see the point of getting someone in who won't be any good for the team.

But if Pressley did try to sign him, does that not say that he wanted him, at least a bit? If he was offered say a 12 month deal, that is longer than the loans we have just got so he must have been keen otherwise why try and sign him at all.

Last edited:

torchomatic

jesus-wept

Who said Pressley didn't want Dagnall ? Apparently Dagnall was offered a better contract by Leyton Orient and were not prepared to match it. Now it looks like we are scouring around looking for an experienced striker while teams below us are slowly catching us up.

The Prefect

I think teams have already found us out. we like to play a high pressing game, quick football, on the deck and concede quite a few goals. Teams will bully us on crap pitches and play the long ball.

Good shout. We have been out played by Bristol City and Notts County - both in and around the bottom for ages. Our high pressing pretty game fails in bad weather and there doen't seem to be any plan B. We were rubbish for long periods at Aston Gate and got a lucky win. It seems we collapsed at County.

From what I have seen we look a poor side playing well above ourselves. I'm not convinced Pressley is all he's cracked up to be - but he has done well in very bad circumstances. My thoughts are that our form will drop and we'll pick up a few more wins. We're seven points above the relegation zone and a poor run will put us in severe trouble - if that happens I'm not sure we'll have the nouse to stop the rot. The next three games will be critical in our season.

I'm sure the club are working hard to bring in a striker - but that won't fix what's wrong.

We had one shot at promotion - this season. When the playing budget is slashed next season things will be very different. Although relegation this season looks unlikely it is more likely than a shot at the play-offs.

There could be dark days ahead...

duffer

I do worry that we're the kind of team that might struggle in crap conditions - a bit lightweight and inexperienced, perhaps. It's doubly worrying because I think it's likely that we'll face poor pitches at Sixfields for the rest of the season.

I wonder if we're looking for a more traditional kind of target man - a big fella with a good touch, in essence. Someone who can link up the quicker players, and chip in with the odd route one/set piece goal. You'd think those kind of players are fairly common, but perhaps there's less of them about than there used to be. If you also add mobility and speed to your wishlist, then suddenly you're looking at players that teams probably want to hold on to, even if only as impact subs.

Manset looked like the answer at one time, but clearly not for SP. I wonder who we'll come up with. How's Platt doing. Adebola? ;)

The Gentleman

Exactly what we were alluding to the other day about the games backing up and having to play a large amount of games on crap pitches, not just at Sixfields but around the rest of the country too. From what I have seen the majority of the pitches in L1 look like the memorial park. Our current style of play is not conducive on these pitches and it will hurt us. Hopefully we have enough points in the bag and can scratch a few wins out here and there quickly to make the final bit of the season a bit less stressful.

stupot07

Who said Pressley didn't want Dagnall ? Apparently Dagnall was offered a better contract by Leyton Orient and were not prepared to match it. Now it looks like we are scouring around looking for an experienced striker while teams below us are slowly catching us up.

Pressley wanted but only as short term solution until the end of the season which is why we offered him a 6 month deal. Pressley obviously didn't see him fit into his plans going forward into next season. Why would he offer him a longer contract if he wouldn't be in his plans next season? We would need to waste time and effort trying to offload him and potentially have pay him off if we released him from his contract by mutual consent. All of that makes no sense and is a waste of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

duffer

Exactly what we were alluding to the other day about the games backing up and having to play a large amount of games on crap pitches, not just at Sixfields but around the rest of the country too. From what I have seen the majority of the pitches in L1 look like the memorial park. Our current style of play is not conducive on these pitches and it will hurt us. Hopefully we have enough points in the bag and can scratch a few wins out here and there quickly to make the final bit of the season a bit less stressful.

Absolutely. I didn't intend to start that row up again, but I don't think we're a team (or perhaps more accurately, play in a style) well suited to poor conditions at the moment.

The Gentleman

Pressley wanted but only as short term solution until the end of the season which is why we offered him a 6 month deal. Pressley obviously didn't see him fit into his plans going forward into next season. Why would he offer him a longer contract if he wouldn't be in his plans next season? We would need to waste time and effort trying to offload him and potentially have pay him off if we released him from his contract by mutual consent. All of that makes no sense and is a waste of time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

So if he fitted in Pressley's plans to a certain extent this season (to warrant a contract offer), but doesn't for next. Does that mean that we are going to change our style of play?

Senior Vick from Alicante

The one thing that the managers of these potential loan players are looking for is will they get the experience that is needed in league one to get them to the next level at their own clubs. Premier league will loan fringe players to the championship but only youth players to the likes of us, getting Delfonso was a bit of a coup. We will only get a journey man fringe player from the championship if their is one that could come out on loan, problem with that is Pressely will only see them as a short term fix where as the parent club might want to look at getting them of the books, they might come for exposure and a regular game but its a big if. NOPM

going by past experience in transfer/loan windows we will leave it until the very last day to bring someone in, elvis says a young striker may come in this week on loan but bet nothing happens until the last day of the loan window all thanks to the clowns in charge.....

wingy

Had thought of Jokingly suggesting a name to consider we were linked heavily with In the days of Adams,Nacho Novo to Carlisle ,who would have thought It.

Warwickhunt

bring big Dele back till the end of season

Users who are viewing this thread