Pressley Speaks (1 Viewer)

Jackoskyblue

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/former-coventry-city-manager-steven-8714280

Last edited:

junglej13

Like many on here I desperately wanted Pressley to succeed. He deserves immense credit for the first half of last season when everyone thought we were dead certs to be relegated. Normally when we sack a struggling manager I am elated - yesterday was different, I felt almost sad for Pressley. Reading this statement only came as a reminder though that sacking him was undoubtedly the right decision. Im not sure what I expected him to say but his delusion that he'd have kept us up this season got too much. Also when there is no mention of the fans I always think that is a kick in the teeth. Generally I think most people know any manager would have struggled here at the min and overall had a decent respect for him.

Colonel Mustard

So do I, but after reading the statement I have to say 'best endeavors' cuts no ice, results is all that counts.

True. Pressley always struck me as a bit naive with all his talk about long-term planning. You're not going to get the time without the results. Still, a thoroughly decent bloke it would seem, and hopefully the experience will make him a better manager.

i personally down the line think he will prove to be a really good manager, this has been an immense learning curve for him and for his own career think he had to go. i wish him all the best for the future.

AGSB15

He will move to a Scottish club for a couple of years and do well. Then he'll get a Championship club with a bit of money and do well there also. His reputation will grow as a good manager and all these haters will then think twice about how they wanted him out of Coventry so badly. After all, who is going to come in and do better with the current squad and budget?

Gazolba

He says pretty much what every sacked manager says. The fact is form since last October has been abysmal. Any manager in similar circumstances would not even have lasted this long.
Professionalism and hard work only gets you so far, you do have to have a modicum of talent for the task at hand. Good luck to him for the future. I'm sure he has learned a lot at CCFC and is considerably better off now than when he joined us, so don't shed too many tears.

Astute

He will move to a Scottish club for a couple of years and do well. Then he'll get a Championship club with a bit of money and do well there also. His reputation will grow as a good manager and all these haters will then think twice about how they wanted him out of Coventry so badly. After all, who is going to come in and do better with the current squad and budget?

Hi SP ;)

Seriously though......haters.......wanted him out of Coventry........ Everyone wanted him to succeed. The only time we did any good was when he had players that were already at our club that were scoring for fun. Look how our defence was doing at the same time. Look what happened when he didn't have the best strike partnership in this division. We went from looking like reaching the playoffs to losing nearly every game and only staying up because we had got so many points in the first half of the season. The season is 2/3 gone. Our top scorer is on 5. We have had games without a shot on target. We got outplayed and beat by a part time non league club. And it was a shock to nobody. He has brought in so many players that we have lost count. How many strikers has he brought in this season? And he plays one up front :(

Or how about where we are now? 1 win in last 11 games. In 21st place which is a relegation spot. 19th place are 5 points ahead of us. Only 1 club has worse current form. The clubs around us are gaining points. Trying to think of some good points but can't think of one.

So are you saying that with all of these players that he has brought in we have a bottom 4 budget? No we certainly do not. You say that who can do better with this current squad? The squad chosen by the manager you are trying to defend :facepalm:

rupert_bear

Bang on Astute, why is it we British always feel sorry for a lame duck and that's exactly what he was and is. A poor manager in most aspects, we are well rid and about 3 months too late, should have gone after the Worcester debacle.

Last edited:

hill83

"Haters" ha ha. You are correct of course, I do hate month after month of poor results.

standupforcity

Like many on here I desperately wanted Pressley to succeed. He deserves immense credit for the first half of last season when everyone thought we were dead certs to be relegated. Normally when we sack a struggling manager I am elated - yesterday was different, I felt almost sad for Pressley. Reading this statement only came as a reminder though that sacking him was undoubtedly the right decision. Im not sure what I expected him to say but his delusion that he'd have kept us up this season got too much. Also when there is no mention of the fans I always think that is a kick in the teeth. Generally I think most people know any manager would have struggled here at the min and overall had a decent respect for him.

'I am exceptionally grateful to the supporters....'

Users who are viewing this thread